Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so while looking at speed6's the main attraction was the all wheel drive(i live in colorado). Now in the last week, you've probably seen on the news that we've had one storm of about 3 feet of snow and another today of 10 inches and counting.

Now i know with all wheel drive, the speed6 can handle some snow, but how much does it take before the speed6 just gets stuck because it's too deep? I know the ground clearance is only something like 4-5 inches however that doesn't necessarily mean the car can only take 4-5 inches of snow. I mean first of all, the wheels will pack down some snow and not go all the way to the pavement so 4-5 inches doesn't mean it's going to come up 4-5 inches on the car. Also, im assuming just because the car is dragging a little bit in the snow doesn't mean it can't keep going and just plowing a bit.

So my question for you all is this: How much snow do you think a speed6 can handle/ has your speed6 handled before being stopped in it's tracks by the sheer depth of snow?

thanks a lot
kaiser

·
Registered
380 Posts
Ok so while looking at speed6's the main attraction was the all wheel drive(i live in colorado). Now in the last week, you've probably seen on the news that we've had one storm of about 3 feet of snow and another today of 10 inches and counting.

Now i know with all wheel drive, the speed6 can handle some snow, but how much does it take before the speed6 just gets stuck because it's too deep? I know the ground clearance is only something like 4-5 inches however that doesn't necessarily mean the car can only take 4-5 inches of snow. I mean first of all, the wheels will pack down some snow and not go all the way to the pavement so 4-5 inches doesn't mean it's going to come up 4-5 inches on the car. Also, im assuming just because the car is dragging a little bit in the snow doesn't mean it can't keep going and just plowing a bit.

So my question for you all is this: How much snow do you think a speed6 can handle/ has your speed6 handled before being stopped in it's tracks by the sheer depth of snow?

thanks a lot
kaiser
[/b]

With any car a few factors would apply:
1.weight of car with passangers
2. type of snow- wet/powder/etc
3. whats under the snow- ie ice,snow pack, pvmnt
4. Im sure a shitload of other stuff i didnt think of.

With any car I will go on a LIMB ( because I have not driven this car in DEEP snow) and say anything over 8-12 inches and would will have a problem. Not just because of the 8-12inches, But what about snow drifts, hills etc. There are so many variables.

I wouldnt buy this car to get through 1ft+ of snow. Go buy a jeep wrangler and slap a winch on there and your gauranteed to get home :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With any car a few factors would apply:
1.weight of car with passangers
2. type of snow- wet/powder/etc
3. whats under the snow- ie ice,snow pack, pvmnt
4. Im sure a shitload of other stuff i didnt think of.

With any car I will go on a LIMB ( because I have not driven this car in DEEP snow) and say anything over 8-12 inches and would will have a problem. Not just because of the 8-12inches, But what about snow drifts, hills etc. There are so many variables.

I wouldnt buy this car to get through 1ft+ of snow. Go buy a jeep wrangler and slap a winch on there and your gauranteed to get home :)
[/b]

I know that nobody can give me an exact number of how much snow it can take and i also don't plan on using it in tons of snow but i just want to make sure that with 4-6 inches of fresh snow i'll still be able to get home.

Basically I'm just looking for personal experiences of how much snow anyone has been able to tackle with their speed6, as long as it can take around 5 inches, maybe more, and still move, it shoudl be fine but i just want to see the snow potential of a speed6 and how far it can really go.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
In my experience in Northern VA with this car, also with the stock potenzas, i've managed to not get stuck in about a foot of semi-wet snow w/ ice underneath (last feb.).

thats my 2Cents.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my experience in Northern VA with this car, also with the stock potenzas, i've managed to not get stuck in about a foot of semi-wet snow w/ ice underneath (last feb.).

thats my 2Cents.
[/b]
that's good enough for me! thanks a lot.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
If shit gets crazy just gas it up and drift that shit!

I'm in MN so I know how it feels with all the snow, but thus far all the shit storms hit you guys and die before they reach us. So for that, I salute you!

The key is grip, pretty plain and simple. So depending on the type of snow that's sticking on the ground you never know. Some of the real flacky shit can be just plowed though. Some of the soft and sticky shit just gets packed up in the car and turns the whole experiance into a suckfest.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I managed to get through a parking lot with 6 inches of fresh snow with my winter tires on. I'm sure you could do 8 inches if the snow isn't very wet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If its not packed in too tightly, then yes you should be able to get at least 7.
[/b]
are we still talkin about snow?! :nana:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm also in Colorado, on the south side of Denver in Centennial. With a good set of winter tires the only time I've had a problem was during the blizzard last week when my car was buried in over 3 ft of snow, even the plow truck got stuck a handful of times and had to be pulled out lol. Other than that, the car has done pretty well, and has pulled through about 8 inches of snow. Probably not as well as my old WRX would have done, but pretty damn close.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Take some snow and pack it on top of the intercooler. More power to plow through!!!!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
are we still talkin about snow?! :nana:
[/b]
:laugh:
I was thinking the exact same thing. The posts in this thread are making me laugh because I keep thinking that people are talking about something else!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I managed to get through a parking lot with 6 inches of fresh snow with my winter tires on. I'm sure you could do 8 inches if the snow isn't very wet.
[/b]
Personally, I think that any AWD sedan will do well on tracked roads (with right footware). If fact, I prefer all the electronics and lower center of gravity for driving through a blizzard on an interstate. :drive: If snow is hitting your floor boards, that is not good.. I would still do it to get out of parking lot and to get the major roads. If you live in the city were there are plenty of SUVs, you may not have to wait too long for enough tracks. ;) As long as there is no fear of getting highcentered you should be fine.

However, I would not try to be the first down a country road or drive though very deep ruts. If you car starts and continues to plow snow, that is not good, :slap: and you really need clearance and skid plates for seriously deep and frozen stuff. I have had to shift my 4WD into LOW when it gets deep and wet... particularly to jump over graded banks... and that is no place for the AWD sedan if you value all the plastic on it. I have also had to jump into the ditch to pass stranded/jackknife vehicles and that is also something I would not recommend with the AWD sedan but it can certainly be a huge time saver when driving a serious offroader rig! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Here in the northeast we didn't get a lot of snow last year (and none so far this year), so I haven't been able to truely test the MS6's capabilities in deep snow.

However, my previous car, an Audi S4, was absolutely incredible in snow. It didn't even hesitate in a foot of snow. With a set of winter tires (I use Dunlop Wintersport M3-- same on the Audi), I would expect just as good snow performance from the MS6 as from the S4.

With a foot or less of snow, I would rather have an AWD sedan (with snow tires) over any SUV on the market.

·
Registered
137 Posts
:laugh:
I was thinking the exact same thing. The posts in this thread are making me laugh because I keep thinking that people are talking about something else!
[/b]

Look what I started :) HAhaha it only takes one :)

(person, not inch) :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts