Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, how much oversteer would a setup like this induce?

I would have the Megan Racing at 6kg/mm (335) front in the front and the Ksport at 9kg/mm (504) in the rear. Koni's in all 4 corners. 1/2 turn all around or 1/2 turn in the rear and 0 to 1/2 turn in the front. Would this be an unsafe configuration?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Ok, how much oversteer would a setup like this induce?

I would have the Megan Racing at 6kg/mm (335) front in the front and the Ksport at 9kg/mm (504) in the rear. Koni's in all 4 corners. 1/2 turn all around or 1/2 turn in the rear and 0 to 1/2 turn in the front. Would this be an unsafe configuration? [/b]
just an off the top of the head guess says that's about 3 times the rear spring rate you could possibly need or want. If you're looking to produce oversteer that's probably one way to go about it. I would think the car would be almost uncontrolably tail-happy and a bouncing pig on anything other than a glass-smooth surface. If anything you'd want the higher spring rates in the front. I cant comment on the shock settings because I'm not familiar with their cailbrations but just those spring rates are staggering.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Not sure, but you can definately get the car to rotate with far less than that. I would say start with one set of springs and see how it is, if it doesn't oversteer enough, then you can try changing the bias with springs or sways.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
ideally, you should want even rated front and rear with no swaybars, or equal rate sways.

ive got the ksport coilover system, with a racing beat rear sway bar, which equates to 14kg/mm rear and 11kg/mm front approx, when you take the swaybars into account.

the car oversteers, when i want it to. it isnt overwhelming. at speed on the track yeah sure you are dancing that fine line, but it works well.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I do have both front and rear sways. I also have the Ksport but have changed out the shocks because ALL FOUR are completely shot! They are all completely busted. I don't know how or why. Only attended 4 or 5 autocross events. Had it for only about over a 1 1/2 years and about 12k miles.

The only reason why I ask is because I couldn't remove the hi/low perch from the rears. The allen key bolts are rusted on. I used a 1/8 (too big) and 7/64. The 7/64 was probably the right size but turned out too small. So that's why I have the ksport springs on for now. I might even try to see if I can fit the koni's into the Ksport front assembly. Or use the front KSport springs.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Well, I do have both front and rear sways. I also have the Ksport but have changed out the shocks because ALL FOUR are completely shot! They are all completely busted. I don't know how or why. Only attended 4 or 5 autocross events. Had it for only about over a 1 1/2 years and about 12k miles.

The only reason why I ask is because I couldn't remove the hi/low perch from the rears. The allen key bolts are rusted on. I used a 1/8 (too big) and 7/64. The 7/64 was probably the right size but turned out too small. So that's why I have the ksport springs on for now. I might even try to see if I can fit the koni's into the Ksport front assembly. Or use the front KSport springs.
[/b]
Where your shocks stock? Tokico? Koni? It's odd how they went out at only 12k, must have been stock.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where your shocks stock? Tokico? Koni? It's odd how they went out at only 12k, must have been stock.
[/b]
No, it was the KSport coilovers. They were the KSport shocks. You do get what you paid for. I can imagine if one or maybe even two shocks went south, but all 4? That's just a bad product.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I think you'll be fine. It'll be a handful, but in a good way. It won't be unsafe so long as you're not stupid with the car.

Once you're lifting a rear tire off the ground, there's no more weight for you to transfer. So, in that sense, your spring rates won't feel much more imbalanced than if you were on stock springs and the RB rear sway. The difference is that your car will lift a wheel much earlier, giving you more oversteer on your initial turn-in. Make sure you brake straight and stay on the throttle otherwise, because it's these transitions that may surprise you.

The worst oversteer I ever had was due to having high-temp racing compound tires, totally cold, on a 50 degree windy day. The front tires would heat up very quickly but the rears would not get more than slightly over ambient. It was like having the rear tires on plastic trays. While I certainly had to adjust for it, I loved how fast the car would go through turns. Keep the throttle planted was not optional! Enjoy it while it lasts, but be safe.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I don't plan to go crazy for another 2 weekends in a control environment/area (read: big ass parking lot). Beside, I'm getting older and feel like I drive like my father :p But yes, I'll see how much oversteer would that introduce at the next autox event.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts