Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2005 V6 manual tx with 147,000 kms (91,000 miles). I'm burning oil like many other owners here. Changed oil brands, replaced PCV valve and absolutely difference. Now I'm just curious how my oil consumption is comparing to everybody else's.

I have 1000 kms on since my last oil change of Penzoil High Mileage Oil 5W20 and I just had to add 500 ml. I'll keep monitoring and updating here but if the oil consumption remains the same, I will burn 2.5 litres of oil within a 5000 km oil change period. Un-fucking sat if you ask me. A 2005 with 147,000 KMs and that burns oil aint worth a wooden nickel if you ask me and I'm still paying on this thing.

I'm anxious to hear how much others are using up between oil changes.:mad:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
none.

I mean I'm sure my engine consumes a little bit but not enough to show up on the stick.

I have about the same amount of mileage. Used 5W30 since 25,000 miles. Changed every 5,000 miles Mostly Phillips Trop-Arctic but lately Valvoline.

But it's not that unusual. GM released a service bulletin several years ago that indicated that 1 qt per 1000 miles was not unusual in their aluminum V8s

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't heard much about oil burning in the V6. The V6 in the north american 6 is the same Ford engine that has been used in many other cars, the oldest being the Taurus and Escape dating back to 01. I'd maybe search the internet and see if those owners have found a fix of any kind since i'm sure there have to be some very high mileage vehicles out there.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm losing 1 Qt. of oil per 5000 mile oil change period using Amsoil synthetic 0W20. I've got 172K miles currently.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I haven't heard much about oil burning in the V6. The V6 in the north american 6 is the same Ford engine that has been used in many other cars, the oldest being the Taurus and Escape dating back to 01. I'd maybe search the internet and see if those owners have found a fix of any kind since i'm sure there have to be some very high mileage vehicles out there.
I believe there are head differences from the Ford version, but they are similar.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I had a strange situation where when I switched from Mobil1 to Quaker State Q, I seemed to use a small amount in the first 2 weeks, but after that, nothing.

I also used nothing while I was using Mobil1.

I believe there are head differences from the Ford version, but they are similar.
Correct, there are differences: Rebuilding the Ford 3.0L: Engine Builder

·
Registered
319 Posts
my 05 6s has 86k on it , i use Royal Purple oil. Oil changes are done at 7 - 9k
i go thru a quart to a quart and a half in that time period. Most of those miles are freeway miles.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
at the time that I sold my 04 V6, I was putting in about 1/2 a liter of oil every week. Even after I spent over a thousand dollars fixing all the gaskets that I could find that were leaking and replacing the PCV valve, still no solution so I ended up trading it in.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
dam...me, 04 6s 96,000 miles, never burned oil even before i switched to full synthetic oil; valvoline synpower 5w30. AutoZone pcv installed recently for peace of mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts