Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok- I know breaking the car in is important, but say you lend your car to family who you can trust and they dont know the car isnt broken in? what do you do if they go a little hard on it?

and also how long tell ur car is broken in?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Usually it's 400 miles break in time.

But really, unless they throttle it everytime they hit the gas, it's not going to cut your engine life in half if they get a little hard on it.

Just tell them not to otherwise you won't lend them the car (but I don't know why you would with a brand new car).

·
Registered
172 Posts
First thing is how many miles are on your car? I have taken the last couple cars too 1k miles before going hard on the gas at all.. If u must.. then tell them to be easy because it is still in its break in period.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, My family is a little ghetto, like there driving skills, they always tell me I drive slow

the milege on my car is 1870

·
Registered
149 Posts
well, My family is a little ghetto, like there driving skills, they always tell me I drive slow
the milege on my car is 1870
[/b]
Your car is broken in. Most people are going to tell you 300-600 is the break in period. I didnt necesarily look at the miles. I just said I'm not gonna rip it open for 2 weeks. I had about 700 miles at that point You should drive at different speeds. different gears is just as important. Thats evenly breaking in the tranny, especially with 2nd gear if your driving an ATX, so use the M-mode 50/50 with the auto mode. The damage is done if any was to begin with. However, the car does have a memory and will eventually adjust to the way you drive, in other words it will get to know you. The shifting completely evened out, I felt, at about 3000 miles. That also gave enough time to learn where the tranny likes to shift. I personally think its imp the first 2000 or so to drive it as much as possible. Let the engine adapt to you. Thats not much to do for a 20k investment. Good luck!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sorta think it shifts to second to fast, so when I'm stoped sometimes and there impatient traffic behind me I snap it in M-mode just to hold it in first a little long then snap back into Drive, that is, if I'm not just driving it in M-mode Period

·
Registered
232 Posts
hell by 1k miles i already ran a autox school and 3 races by then.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I sorta think it shifts to second to fast, so when I'm stoped sometimes and there impatient traffic behind me I snap it in M-mode just to hold it in first a little long then snap back into Drive, that is, if I'm not just driving it in M-mode Period
[/b]
If your just driving normally you shouldnt really keep it in first gear for much longer than it would be in it if it was in auto mode. If the car shifts early then typically you should shift it there. Just my .02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts