Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does everyone keep a full tank of gas, or try to shed weight by running half full on the gage. My 6 definetely runs better, with a quicker throttle response when my tank is full. I hope this is not too stupid of a question, if so, feel free to flame. :drive:

·
Registered
399 Posts
It just wasn't worth it filling up half way then having to go back so much sooner then filling the whole thing up... Also, with the way gas prices are rising these days, you'll fill it up half way at 3.00 one day the next time it'll be like 3.06... not a significant different, but it's money that could've been saved!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Um, not sure why the car would react better with a full tank. If anything, it should be slower due to the increased weight. Gas ~ 8lbs/gallon

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Um, not sure why the car would react better with a full tank. If anything, it should be slower due to the increased weight. Gas ~ 8lbs/gallon
[/b]
Reminds of kids that say they can run faster when they get a new pair of sneakers! lol

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i try not to run much below a 1/4 tank. with the MS6 though gas can go really quick depending on driving style. usually i try to squeeze about 250 miles out of the MS6 & 300 miles out of the M6 before tanking up. that takes me down to a little below 1/4 in each.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I run it just until the low gas light comes on (2.5 gals left in tank). No reason to fill it up short of that unless you just like accumulating the potential for stale fuel. Oh, and the real chance of your car actually performing better with a full tank doesn't make sense. The only thing that could affect performance in that sense is the fuel temp which could be higher as you get towards empty, but even that would be a stretch. Thanks for playing, though!
:D

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
personally, i try not to run out of gas. i haven't run out of gas in 15 years of driving. i've come close a couple of times after hurricanes when dealing with power outages/run on gas stations. so far as increasing performance with a certain level of gas in the tank i'd say that's more a placebo effect than quantifiable improvement.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I fill up 1/2 and 1/4 tank left. The exact point depends if I have the money and/or the time to buy the gas.

:D

·
Registered
258 Posts
i fill up then let it run down all the way before i fill up.

if it does, it will suck up some of the junk and end up hurting the motor in the long run.
[/b]
That does not make sense. The fuel pump sucks the gas from the bottom of the tank anyway, whether it is full or almost empty.

·
Registered
690 Posts
i usually fill up 16 gallons, 17 if i feel adventurous and 17.5 when i drive from LA to San Fran.

i fill full tanks everytime.

but ya at 16 gallons, gas light is on and needle is below empty mark.
perfectly fine for me because i know my car and how long it can run and i know how i drove with that tank of gas.

and no your car would not "run smoother" with a full tank of gas, and as mentioned before, car should be slower from increased weight. maybe its the added weight and sluggishness and the reassurance that you have a full tank of gas that makes it "feel smoother" hehe

·
Registered
823 Posts
I usually fill up when the tank is less than a quarter, but usually before the light comes on.

Maybe with a full tank of gas, it evens out the weight from the heavy v6 up front and changes the way it handles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I also feel up under the quater mark but before the light comes on only had it on once. Got a little over 7k on it now. :D :drive:

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I wait for the light unless a price looks good or the budget is unusually generous. That makes the fill right about 16 gallons.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That does not make sense. The fuel pump sucks the gas from the bottom of the tank anyway, whether it is full or almost empty.
[/b]
You really should try not to let your gas tank go below 1/4 or so (just before the yellow light comes on to be safe really).

Lower than that, if you took a sharp turn and the gas sloshes to one side of the gas tank or another, and your fuel filter can get exposed, and it starts clogging it with sludge. (hope that made any sense)

I've definately noticed that if I let my fuel tank run too low, I need to use some STP, or another fuel filter cleaner, to get back some lost reaction time.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I also feel up under the quater mark but before the light comes on only had it on once. Got a little over 7k on it now. :D :drive:
[/b]
Who are you feeling up under the mark? Better be careful, would be best to have a full tank than a smack.

You really should try not to let your gas tank go below 1/4 or so (just before the yellow light comes on to be safe really).

Lower than that, if you took a sharp turn and the gas sloshes to one side of the gas tank or another, and your fuel filter can get exposed, and it starts clogging it with sludge. (hope that made any sense)

I've definately noticed that if I let my fuel tank run too low, I need to use some STP, or another fuel filter cleaner, to get back some lost reaction time.
[/b]
Doesn't make sense to me. Someone above mentioned that the fuel is pumped out from the bottom, so sludge wouldn't accumulate. And if the filter gets exposed (to air I am guessing), how would it get clogged with sludge? I have only see my low fuel light twice since I have owned my car, so I can't say I have run it low and gone around a corner quick just to test this theory.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Who tries TO run out of gas?
[/b]
apparently the ones who don't put enough gas in the tank, then drive too much.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
15 Participants
mk706
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing