Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2016 Mazda 6 (live in the US).

I'm wondering what other people's experience with this is. I often fill up my tank when the meter says I've got less than 20 miles remaining. I fill up and it never ends up being more than 12.5 gallons. Usually more around 12.

So I was surprised to see that this car is advertised as having a fuel capacity of 16.4 gallons!

So what gives? Am I just a sucker for filling up when it tells me I'm almost out? Does anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
219 Posts
From my experience, the amount of miles left reported by the computer is off. Very pessimistic. Anyway, from what I've read, you don't want to run out of gas. Fuel pump might burn. So that's probably the reason it's off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,400 Posts
Mazda has a knack for being VERY pessimistic with their fuel gauges. It's more of a liability issue for them than it is any mechanical issue.

When the fuel warning goes on, there's usually at least 3 gallons or so left. When the range reaches zero. There's still 2+ gallons left to use. I've gone another 20-25 miles past zero range (a few different times) , and I've still been able to fill over 14 gallons.

It's been like this with every other 6 I've owned as well. I've never been stranded, I've never had any fuel system problems (no burned out fuel pumps, clogged filters, etc.), and I've never had any sputtering or hesitation.

Do I recommend that you run it past zero range all the time? No, not at all.

I will say that the gauges are VERY conservative, and you could most likely get another 50 miles or so when the warning light (or message) goes on. I wouldn't recommend doing it all the time, but if you're ever in a jam...

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have no doubt that the auto manufacturers in general are pessimistic with the fuel gauge; all it takes is one true empty tank to burn out the pump.

The question I have is; how accurate is the Fuel Level signal on the CAN bus, does 0% really mean there is no gas remaining?

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have no doubt that the auto manufacturers in general are pessimistic with the fuel gauge; all it takes is one true empty tank to burn out the pump.

The question I have is; how accurate is the Fuel Level signal on the CAN bus, does 0% really mean there is no gas remaining?
I remember in our Automation class, zero is not necessarily an empty tank. It is often a good practice to designate some kind of "reserve" when you display zero.

In Machine Design, it is called "factor of safety". If a machine can carry a load of 6 tons, you do not declare 6 tons as your working capacity. Rather, 1.5 tons or 2 as working capacity.

The same is true for fuel gauge. It is better to have a pessimistic number on display and still have fuel left than have a positive number with an almost empty tank.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I remember in our Automation class, zero is not necessarily an empty tank. It is often a good practice to designate some kind of "reserve" when you display zero.

In Machine Design, it is called "factor of safety". If a machine can carry a load of 6 tons, you do not declare 6 tons as your working capacity. Rather, 1.5 tons or 2 as working capacity.

The same is true for fuel gauge. It is better to have a pessimistic number on display and still have fuel left than have a positive number with an almost empty tank.
I understand that completely, just wondering what the fudge-factor is if any.

My last two tanks have been over 485 miles but neither took more than 15.5 gallons to refill- I just never have an OBD2 device handy to see what my Fuel% is at the time

·
Super Moderator
16,774 Posts
"Zero" as indicated by your fuel gauge isn't anywhere near zero because it doesn't report 1-2 gallons of "reserve" fuel that Mazda specifically doesn't want you to know about so you can't complain to them if the car were to ever run out BEFORE 0.

There was a thread on here that I remember someone said they had gone as much as 40 miles after 0! I have only done about 16 before I got too afraid lol.

Full tank for me gets about 500 - 520 miles, but the most I've ever got was 600 (and that was 600 before the car thought I was at 0, probably could have got 630+).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 2016 Mazda 6 (live in the US).

I'm wondering what other people's experience with this is. I often fill up my tank when the meter says I've got less than 20 miles remaining. I fill up and it never ends up being more than 12.5 gallons. Usually more around 12.

So I was surprised to see that this car is advertised as having a fuel capacity of 16.4 gallons!

So what gives? Am I just a sucker for filling up when it tells me I'm almost out? Does anyone else experience this?
I put it n $50.00 Australian dollars, depending on the price of fuel it gives me the full tank, this will last me a full week, Thursday to next Friday, with run around 👌😁

1 - 10 of 10 Posts