Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good, sporty car to replace my 10 year old car. The Maxda6 is on my list. I do have a concern that I hope some people can address to help ease my concern.

Just how much Ford is in the Mazda6?

I'm looking for quality and a duratec (ford) engine is of concern. I think that a 4Cyl turbo is an option in European Mazda6 with over 250 Ibs TQ, but isn't available in the US. Bummer. So that leaves the 6Cyl for me. 4cyl Turbo Passat is also on list but even VW owners are warning non-VW owners about reliability, so I may avoid the VW.

So, I'm concerned about the Ford content in the 6's motor, and other moving or electronic parts.

Any comments?

Also, Euro owners, you've had the 6 for almost a year longer than us. Can you comment on reliability?

TIA

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'How much Ford is in it?'

Hi there. Well, to begin with: there's a similar thread to this one if you do a search where this topic was examined to its depth.

However, let me just tell you that there is little Ford in Mazda6. Very little, since there's none. True is that the engine block is Duratec, but the rest of it is designed and fitted by Mazda. So you should really consider it a Mazda engine - I mean after all, how much of an engine's reliability comes down to the block itself?

The only other connections to Ford are a) Ford owns 33 percent of Mazda and B) It's built for NA by the plant at Flat Rock that is a joint venture with Ford. However, there were like a thousand Mazda tech's from Japan at that plant setting up production earlier this year, and some of them are still there to make sure things go as they are meant to go.

I have a Japan-built 6 since a month back. Build quality is (as usual when it comes to Mazda) very good. And out of all brands, Mazda has the highest reputation for reliability. Only luxury class brands come close.

To sum this up: I wouldn't worry about the Ford influences (fact is that Ford is going the other way, using the 6-platform for their next Mondeo word has it). Instead, take one for a spin and if you fall in love with it (you will, trust me) - buy it!

:D

·
Registered
319 Posts

Steve pretty much has it all correct. The I4 engine is all Mazda, as is just about everything else. Trannies (though the 5 speed auto may be Ford....anyone know?); platform, suspension, this car is about as Mazda as a Mazda can get.

The 3.0L V6 is based on the Duratec, which while not so much a cutting edge engine anymore (its been around a little while now) is well proven, and quite reliable. Perhaps one of the most reliable parts in a Ford that uses it. However, Mazda only used the basic duratec architecture (the block) but designed their own heads, added variable valve timing, added swirl induction vanes (or something that adds swirl); and some other tweaks to make it sound better, feel smoother, and rev more freely.

I think you'll find the V6 to your liking. For comparison, you could always consult Consumer Reports and look at engine reliability for the MPV or Tribute, which both use the Duratec. I think you'll find the engine is well rated for reliability. The MPV is rated high overall on reliability, while the Tribute (a rebadged Ford Escape) falls a bit short overall. I wish Mazda would fix that. Seems anything they've been able to do mostly thier way comes out better than when they just borrow mainly a Ford vehicle and tweak it.

Edit: Regarding the plant. The AAI Complex in Flat Rock is 50% owned by Mazda and 50% owned by Ford. However, the plant is an almost 100% carbon copy of the Mazda plant in Hofu.

The Duratec should treat you very well.

Welcome!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I think it's funny that this is at least the third time this question has come up (the first one, to my knowledge, was by yours truly . ;) )

So, sorry for any redundancy, but I am compelled to add. The duratec seems to be one of the few things Ford has done right. It is aging a bit, but that won't take anything away from it. I wont'bother repeating the info about the heads and block. If you are concerned, look up some information on current Fords that use the Duratech - the Contour, the Cougar, and I'm not sure what others but I am confident that a little research will unveil Ford cars that use the Duratech, and how many problems have been related to the engine.

Other than that, the impression I get is that Mazda is Mazda, just with some Ford money.

Hmmm...If I get bored, perhaps I'll look up some of that info myself.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Oh, and might I add a couple of other facts about the production plant. Ford is going to use the same plant for the new, redesigned (2004, methinks) Mustang. Mustang is Ford. They can't afford to screw that up. Trusting the plant for that shows some confidence.

We've also had a complementary post on the plant from a member whose wife works in the plant (anyone remember who that is / was?) . They ordered a 6. It's always a good sign when someone who works with a particular product voluntarily buys it.

And how could I forget...

Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
577 Posts

Other Vehicles that use Duratec Engines.... (No H in Duratec)....

Taurus
Sable
Tribute
Escape
Cougar
Contour
Mondeo
Lincoln LS (3.0L)
Jaguar X-Type and S-Type (2.5L and 3.0L)
Astin Martin Vanquish (Uses a 6.0L Duratec V12..basically two 3.0L blocks fused together...but not that simple of course.....)

You dont have anything to be worried about engine wise.....

Nikolas

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

(No  H  in Duratec)....[/b]
That's what I get for posting at 9:00am. :zzz

Astin Martin Vanquish (Uses a 6.0L Duratec V12..basically two 3.0L blocks fused together...but not that simple of course.....)[/b]
How could I forget that? I guess I could blame it on a 9:00am post again...

·
Registered
146 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

Oh, and might I add a couple of other facts about the production plant.  Ford is going to use the same plant for the new, redesigned (2004, methinks) Mustang.  Mustang is Ford.  They can't afford to screw that up.  Trusting the plant for that shows some confidence.  

We've also had a complementary post on the plant from a member whose wife works in the plant (anyone remember who that is / was?) . They ordered a 6.  It's always a good sign when someone who works with a particular product voluntarily buys it.

And how could I forget...

Welcome aboard!![/b]
That member was me. They have been working like mad at the plant, six days a week and in some departments seven days a week to make production numbers. They are only down about 4-5 days behind the initial schedule - very good for a new rollout.

I ordered my Mazda6S on November 1 and originally was told it would deliver third week December. I am more likely to see it end of December or beginning January.

I can't wait!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Halfadozen;

Be sure to keep us up to date from the plant! You've been too quiet too long!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Since I am also over on thr Miata.net froums I remembered this post by Bob (bwob) Hall who is credited with the concept of the Miata and worked at Mazda for many years.

Quote:

Under Japanese law, if a company or individual holds 1/3rd plus one share of a firm's shares, that individual or company can assume control with the approval of the Board of Directors of the company being bought. Ford has been in control of Mazda for a few years now and it has not been the disaster the Fordaphobics would lead you to think it has.

Some of the most interesting - and important - programs the company has going (REnesis engine, RX-8, FE Series RX-7, Mazda 6 and upcoming Mazda 3) were developed under Ford's auspices or initiated by Ford People working at Mazda.

The alternative to Mazda not getting into bed with Ford would have entailed the company going the way of Studebaker and vanishing from the face of the Earth. Having the 'independence' to put yourself out of business all on your own is not worth the livelihoods of 30,000 dedicated people in Hiroshima as well as thousands other all over the globe. In this context the people who decry that Mazda's going into Ford control is/was one of the most terrible things to ever happen to Mazda are showing that they are nearly as selfish as they are moronic.

bwob

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

If would have Ford parts, would that be negative? Havn't heard anything bad about new Monedo for instance. Ford make good cars.

Now I think its good in one way, couse it's more fun to see that a manufacuterer have really put some effort in producing a car, not just put different existing parts together (se in dictionary for; GM ; VW). But I don't think the car would have been less good for that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts