Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the invoice price is what the dealer pays from the automaker. So if I say I will give you $500 above invoice, does that mean the dealer only makes $500?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'How much do dealers make?'

No. There is also a dealer holdback. A certain fixed percentage that the dealer has to use as they please. A dealer should be more than happy to sell a car for $500 over invoice. Some dealerships also get credits from cars sold to new ones coming in.

And a car that has been sitting on the lot may be costing them money in the real estate it takes up. I know this is a factor in used cars, but not sure how much of a factor it is in new.

·
Registered
446 Posts

I don't know exactly how it works since I haven't bought a new car yet, only bought used (Maybe a Mazda6 will be my first!). I do know several of my friends weren't happy until they paid invoice or under invoice if possible.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Don't know about you guys, but I never get the straight story on "how much they get/make" on you. I've bought 2 new cars in my life, both time I had to deal with them for about 2 weeks before I brought them down! The best way is to go there with the cash (heck, I know I can't!) What they do is tell you "oh, if you finance, your payments will be $xxx much per month. Then you need to go home and convert the whole thing to figure out how much that comes up to once you factor in the interest rates.

Anyways, lets hope that Mazda dealers don't take advantage of us since this car is SO WANTED!!!!;)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Edmunds.com is a great resource for getting good pricing on a vehicle (new or used). They have the invoice pricing for both the vehicle and its options. They have the holdbacks listed. They also calculate the TMV (True Market Value) based upon prior sales data.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Anyone know when invoice priceing is going to be available on the M6?

This car is a deal if it can be had at invoice. I assume if the car is 24,800 loaded at MSRP it should be around 23000 at invoice then. Also, you should not have to go home to convert the cost per month on the car yourself. If you tell the salesman that you want the price stated as total cost, includeing dealer prep, advertsising fees license and registration, and tax, they should do it if they want your business.

never let a salesman talk about pricing in terms of monthly cost. Always insist on the final price of the car, If the dealership representative refuses to do that walk out the door. Find a dealer that will give you a price in the format that you want.

·
Registered
22 Posts

One last thing, if dealerships decide to add a market value mark up to the M6 I will not buy that car. I will buy a passsat instead. IMHO I do not feel it any car is worth thousands of dollars over it's true cost simply because it is a "hot car". All one is left with when buying a car that is costing you that much over what the car is worth is several years of payments on a car that will sell for thousands of dollars cheaper in a year.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by osho74

One last thing, if dealerships decide to add a market value mark up to the M6 I will not buy that car. I will buy a passsat instead.  IMHO I do not feel it any car is worth thousands of dollars over it's true cost simply because it is a "hot car". All one is left with when buying a car that is costing you that much over what the car is worth is several years of payments on a car that will sell for thousands of dollars cheaper in a year.[/b]
Good point - paying a "premium" or high dealer markup won't make your car be worth any more once you drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts

not so much the resale value I was refering to, more that once it is not a "hot car" any longer you will be able to pick up a new M6 at invoice rather than at msrp plus mark up.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Well, the market value of the car is based on what the market (i.e. people) are willing to pay - if dealers have more people wanting 6s than they have available, then they'll add "adjustment to market value." That adjustment will be high enough to match demand to supply.

Just wait till the demand dies down or the supply increases.

another good spot for car buying tips is www.carbuyingtips.com it has a lot of good advice and links to resources.

and, of course, Consumer Reports....find 'em at your local library (if you're in the US). April issue is the annual auto issue.

MM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts