Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first snow fall fell here and as I started the car I wanted to see how well it drove in the snow. It was already outside and the ground was covered in 3 inches of snow. Anyway, I start the car up and try to move it into reverse. The car is not moving so i rev it to 3000 rpms and try to move it. I do this a couple of times and realize the parking brake is on. I guess I was so excited about the snow I forgot. After awhile I smell something funny and that is when I start worry. Was it the front tires from doing a buronout or did I screw something up?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Burned the ever-loving shit out of the clutch, that's for sure (and what you smelled). But probably nothing to get overly concerned about, just knocked a few thousand miles off the clutch probably.
[/b]
A few thousand miles? :tear: I guess that is my lesson. It is the first time I have done that and I have been driving stick for years. :slap:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the smell could be your e-brake. e-brake & clutch smell very different. there's no mistaking clutch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was the clutch for sure; just avoid hard shifts and launches from now on and you should be able to get a somewhat normal life-span from it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Also you have you snow tires on the beast or no?And also how was it no snow yet here for me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
the smell could be your e-brake. e-brake & clutch smell very different. there's no mistaking clutch.
[/b]
e-brake controls the rear wheels and when e-brake is on RWD is off so it probably didnt harm the e-brake unless you actually started moving.

Probably just the clutch. Equivelant to a few hard launches maybe?

·
Registered
826 Posts
What kind of tires did you have on? Snows or the OEM's? If you had the OEM's you better thank that e-brake and your memory because you'd be looking at possibly 1) scariest moment of your life without accident 2) scariest moment of your life with accident. The Potenzas, the OEM tires, are summers so you'll lose so much braking power and traction.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Humm... tires should have started to spin... I mean for fun i've used my e-break and tried to drive around.. car hops and jumps allover the place... as the front diff tries to get traction...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These were on the OEM Potenzas. It usually does not snow here until January so I wasn't prepared. I made it home okay though.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Be glad you did not almost kill yoursself on the OEM's... Lucky you did not go far! Time for some snow tires if you already have 3 inches...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I started work at 3:00 and got off at 11:30. Around 9:pm the snow started to pour down and I started to get worried because I knew how bad the Potenzas were in the snow when I had an RX-8.

Humm... tires should have started to spin... I mean for fun i've used my e-break and tried to drive around.. car hops and jumps allover the place... as the front diff tries to get traction...
[/b]
It is just that I was trying to slip the clutch. :(

·
Registered
273 Posts
With DSC on snow/tires shouldn't be a problem right?
Any detected wheel spin should cause throttle cut eliminating danger.

(Please note, I live in California and know nothing about snow.)

·
Registered
315 Posts
with the awd i thought the potenzas did all around "fair" in high slush with concrete footing.

I got some 17" oem's and gonna get all seasons for the winter months though, because when the footing is snow pack or ice, you definitley need more grip than the 050a's.

Thinking about your situation. I'd say you probably had dry footing underneath the front wheels. When ou engage the e-brake it takes away the AWD, so you just had FWD. Then you say you try to reverse, and just bad smells. My guess is you didn't break the front tires because of the dry ground and the fact that fronts would be hard to break free in reverse. So you wore the clutch a little.

I burned my clutch up a little once on this wicked right hander, actually I was done with the turn but I was resting my foot on the clutch so i was accidentally slipping it. Anyways it smelled like someone took a NASTY FART in my car, the smell is unmistakeable.

So basically if you smelled FART, you brned your clutch a little. If you smelled anything else, you probably spun the tires.

Either way I don't think it's gonna amount to too much damage in the long run. Like someone ealse sad mabey a few k less miles for the clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts