Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm just a "nobody", and that's why I read his post.

For those reading this:

If you are going to replace your tranny fluid in any way shape or form, use an approved "fluid". At an attempt to save a couple of bucks it's not worth the possibility of having your trans fail.

Anyone recommending unapproved fluids/oils should be banned - again. You also have this same person recommending you change your fluid at XXK miles? He's well beyond that and still hasn't changed his.
I plan to replace the transmission fluid soon. What I have in mind is, drain and refill then drive for a few thousand kilometers. After that, I'll have dealership replace the filter along with the fluid with a brand new one.

I hope I won't forget to have a sample of the originally drained fluid and send it for analysis.

I agree with you, saving a few hundred dollars is not worth the risk of destroying the transmission. Again, I've read about a few CVT being destroyed because of incompatible fluid.

I admit I have yet to read about the transmission of Mazda being destroyed. Of course, I don't want to be the first guy.

484 Posts
I'm just a "nobody", and that's why I read his post.

I plan to replace the transmission fluid soon. What I have in mind is, drain and refill then drive for a few thousand kilometers. After that, I'll have dealership replace the filter along with the fluid with a brand new one.

I hope I won't forget to have a sample of the originally drained fluid and send it for analysis.

I agree with you, saving a few hundred dollars is not worth the risk of destroying the transmission. Again, I've read about a few CVT being destroyed because of incompatible fluid.

I admit I have yet to read about the transmission of Mazda being destroyed. Of course, I don't want to be the first guy.
I think I'd change the pan filter first, especially since you'll get more fluid out this way. Then the drain and fill.

The dealership doesnt change pans though. You'll need to take your car to a transmission speciality shop.

The CVT failure has many different potential reasons, so it's hard to tell what exactly caused the failure. Theres a strong possibility it wasn't even the fluid itself to begin with. Cool concept, crap reliability.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
IMHO you're nuts not to change the filter. And yeah, that means dropping the pan. And?

It's not like this is the 1500-series Chevy trucks, where you have to remove the front driveshaft (on 4wd vehicles) to get to the shift bracket (torx!!) bolts because otherwise the pan won't come off. Even then, ok, it's another half-hour and lots of swearing.

Just do it the right way.

·
Registered
921 Posts
think I'd change the pan filter first, especially since you'll get more fluid out this way. Then the drain and fill.
I think this is counter intuitive. If I were to replace the filter first and do the drain and fill later, I won't have a cleaner fluid overall.

The dealership doesnt change pans though. You'll need to take your car to a transmission speciality shop.
They said they will do that. I'll be able to confirm it soon.

484 Posts
IMHO you're nuts not to change the filter. And yeah, that means dropping the pan. And?

It's not like this is the 1500-series Chevy trucks, where you have to remove the front driveshaft (on 4wd vehicles) to get to the shift bracket (torx!!) bolts because otherwise the pan won't come off. Even then, ok, it's another half-hour and lots of swearing.

Just do it the right way.
Well, that's just Gm for you... Make everything even more complicated (than the Germans) in hopes of you going to the dealer for an expensive repair... or don't even repair it at all.

484 Posts
I think this is counter intuitive. If I were to replace the filter first and do the drain and fill later, I won't have a cleaner fluid overall.
How? the magnets on the old pan are dirty and used up. They aren't able to catch metal shavings suspended in the fluid anymore. I think it makes more sense to add in a fresh clean pan with brand new magnets so that they can do a better job of catching the rest of the metal particles left inside your transmission. Plus dropping the pan gives you more surface area to drain out fluid. Then, you can add more fresh fluid once the new magnets are able to properly do their job.

·
Registered
921 Posts
How? the magnets on the old pan are dirty and used up. They aren't able to catch metal shavings suspended in the fluid anymore. I think it makes more sense to add in a fresh clean pan with brand new magnets so that they can do a better job of catching the rest of the metal particles left inside your transmission. Plus dropping the pan gives you more surface area to drain out fluid. Then, you can add more fresh fluid once the new magnets are able to properly do their job.
If I may ask, have you done exactly what you are suggesting?

61 - 70 of 70 Posts