Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have a 2015 Mazda 6 if the car is cold not been warmed up at all. You changed the automatic tranmission Fluid but just the fluid and not the filter. How much fluid should drain out the drain plug?

·
Registered
175 Posts
3.x quarts came out of mine all three times. The car & fluid was fully up to temp, though. Don’t know whether there’s a significant difference or not when the fluid is cold.

I was thinking I’d measured mine at 3qt ~22oz the first time, but I don’t recall for certain. I have a fairly recent thread on here wherein I put that info, if you want to look.

Not sure why you’re asking, so proactively: In case you’re planning how much fluid to put back in, you’ll need to measure your own specific transmission rather than relying on what others have seen. There’s some variation from tranny to tranny, not to mention the fact that the fill from the factory or shop varies from tranny to tranny as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should you change the transmission fluid whiles the car is warmed up or cold?

Reason I ask because wouldn't changing the fluid warm, measuring it then putting room temperature new fluid with what you measured with the warm old fluid over fill the transmission since tranmission Fluid expand?

·
Registered
175 Posts
You drain the fluid whenever you want. Once you refill it, you run (idle is fine) the engine until the fluid is up to the specified temp, then check it and make whatever final level adjustment is necessary.

484 Posts
Should you change the transmission fluid whiles the car is warmed up or cold?

Reason I ask because wouldn't changing the fluid warm, measuring it then putting room temperature new fluid with what you measured with the warm old fluid over fill the transmission since tranmission Fluid expand?
ZF transmissions has a very specific method of changing the fluid (the fluid needs to be warmed up, I think about 50C but not full operating temp)

I'm trying to find the tutorial because its probably quite similar to the Mazda. Both of them feature the same plastic pan filter design.

You will be able to drain more fluid if the transmission is warm. Tkhe only variable at play here is how much fluid you'll be able to drain initially.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you check the transmission temp?

I heard a good reference is when the blue temp light turns off its at the specfied temp.

Is it ok to warm the trans, turn engine off and take the intake off and then recheck it like that. Since the Intake is in the way of the dipstick. Or does it have to be left running and then pull the dispstick?

·
Registered
175 Posts
No. Level must be checked with engine idling.

The comment about inability to overfill because fluid will come out the full hole is wrong or not applicable to the SkyDrive AT. It is very easy to significantly over-fill these trannies.

Use a ScanGauge to pull ATF temp, or an IR thermometer on the ATF pan.

484 Posts
How do you check the transmission temp?

I heard a good reference is when the blue temp light turns off its at the specfied temp.

Is it ok to warm the trans, turn engine off and take the intake off and then recheck it like that. Since the Intake is in the way of the dipstick. Or does it have to be left running and then pull the dispstick?
I think I would let the fluid circulate at full temp first by driving around. By the time you actually get the pan off and start draining fluid should be at the perfect temp. To be Frank- I wouldn't waste my time digging under the airbox for the trans dipstick. To be safe, make sure you measure how much fluid you drain. Dont forget that trans temp cooling down as you work may result in less fluid going in than what you drained or vice versa. Nothing to worry about, just dont work slowly.

You wont be able to drain 100% of the fluid out because the torque converter is sealed which IMO only makes it more imperative that you replace the pan filter or at least clean out your existing one. If you're real anal about getting the fluid as clean as possible you can go for a drive to let the fresh fluid mix with whatever dirty fluid is left inside the torque converter, and then do one more drain and fill, but not necessary you do so.

484 Posts
No. Level must be checked with engine idling.

The comment about inability to overfill because fluid will come out the full hole is wrong or not applicable to the SkyDrive AT. It is very easy to significantly over-fill these trannies.

Use a ScanGauge to pull ATF temp, or an IR thermometer on the ATF pan.
Really? How would the unit even offer the excess space to overfill?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
It's not a MTX where the oil fill level is approximately at the plug. It has a dipstick. A short dipstick, but a dipstick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok guys I appreciate the answer but I just want to know one thing. If I warm the engine drain the trans fluid do I put back that exact amount back with room temp new fluid?

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can do that, sure. So long as you then warm the fluid up to the specified temp, then check and adjust (if necessary), you’ll end up with the right amount.

If you want to get as close as possible to what was in there beforehand, you’d let the drained fluid cool to the same temp as the fluid you plan to use to refill. That’ll result in the least amount of adjustment of the level.

How about if you just refill with a cup or two less than you think you drained? That way your level check should only require you to add more, but not to drain any.

484 Posts
You can do that, sure. So long as you then warm the fluid up to the specified temp, then check and adjust (if necessary), you’ll end up with the right amount.

If you want to get as close as possible to what was in there beforehand, you’d let the drained fluid cool to the same temp as the fluid you plan to use to refill. That’ll result in the least amount of adjustment of the level.

How about if you just refill with a cup or two less than you think you drained? That way your level check should only require you to add more, but not to drain any.
Good suggestion. I'd rather end up with slight underfill than over..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is a really good idea, this I will do, I will drain it while it's hot. Put the pan and the new fluids in the back of my trunk wait about 1 hrs. Pour them in knowing they will be at the same room temp. Good idea.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a really good idea, this I will do, I will drain it while it's hot. Put the pan and the new fluids in the back of my trunk wait about 1 hrs. Pour them in knowing they will be at the same room temp. Good idea.
HEY, maz615, there is some important messages about this an another thread that you have just started, read those, especially about fluids.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Some of you folks may find discussion at the above-indicated location interesting...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts