Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Rally Racer
1,891 Posts
I prefer to use the one from Mazda. That is, once I reach 60,000 km or 80,000 km. I plan to ask those Mazda guys to remove the oil pan and filter, put it back with the new gasket and filter, then fill it with new oil.

The Owner's Manual does not say that it should be replaced. The dipstick is not even accessible. If ever you want to check its level, you'll have to remove a couple of things. It is like Mazda is telling you not to bother about the ATF.
Apparently when it breaks we just buy a new one. [shrug]

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just to drop my opinion in here, if the vehicle specifies "lifetime" ATF fluid, you're bonkers to change it in fewer than 100k intervals unless you have a compelling reason to do so such as slipping, etc. "Preventive" changes, especially frequent ones, absolutely will introduce more outside contaminants and be more detrimental to the transmission's health than just following the book.

My experience is anecdotal of course, but I tend to keep vehicles a long time and have NEVER changed an auto's fluid and also have NEVER had transmission-related problems. Our last 4 automatic vehicles:

'00 Ford Focus - 160k miles, sold running perfectly, ATF fluid never changed
'00 Dodge Intrepid - 180k miles, died from rust, ATF fluid never changed
'10 Mazda6 - 120k miles, traded in running perfectly, ATF fluid never changed
'08 Yaris - 150k miles, head gasket blew, ATF fluid never changed

My wife's '15 Mazda5 has 75k and I wouldn't even consider an ATF change until well after 100k. If compulsive fluid swaps make you happy, go for it. It hasn't been a problem for me, so I'll continue not worrying, but I prefer manual transmissions anyway.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts