Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 Sport. The manual says to change the spark plugs at 75,000 miles.

When did you change the plugs?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I changed them at 100k and they were very worn but were still running fine so I still did them the next time at 200k. Will probably still wait until 300k for the next set especially since I went with the rutheniums this time around.(I'm at 275k right now.)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Grab a copy of Forscan and find an OBDLinkMX and see what your misfire rate is.

If you're seeing more than one every now and then once the engine is running in closed-loop the plugs (or coil pack in question, or both) are boned.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
About 80k miles of mostly highway driving.

I changed them at 100k and they were very worn but were still running fine so I still did them the next time at 200k. Will probably still wait until 300k for the next set especially since I went with the rutheniums this time around.(I'm at 275k right now.)

Hold up - 275k Miles? That's by far the most I've heard on a 6 at this point. Good on you!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I replaced my transmission and did the clutch at 220k but otherwise just what I consider regular maintenance. The trans was still functioning fine but it was very very loud and was certainly going to crap out eventually.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
I thought there was a sub 350k 3rd Gen?
Maybe? I don't remember it, or they aren't on here very often at least. I'm aware of several Cx5s over 300k and that's the same car but taller lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They're not totally identical because I was trying to look into getting one for a suspension swap to jack my 6 up but I don't think the stuff would bolt in right.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
They're not totally identical because I was trying to look into getting one for a suspension swap to jack my 6 up but I don't think the stuff would bolt in right.

You're right - I should've clarified I was talking engines only. The 2.5L in both this and Cx5 are, so far as I know, identical.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Maybe? I don't remember it, or they aren't on here very often at least. I'm aware of several Cx5s over 300k and that's the same car but taller lol.
Actually, the 3 and the CX-5 are the same platform.

Itll bolt right in, but i think youll cause more stress on the LCA's than you want to chance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey! Can we get back to the original question, PLEASE? (Just joking)

At how many miles did you change your spark plugs?

I am at 70K miles and the dealer wants about $260 to change the plugs. I can't do them myself, I am not mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I changed mine at about 80k (miles). However, I am positive the previous owner had already replaced them, as the ones I removed were Densos (Iridium TT, IIRC?).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Maybe at least price an indy shop? It's like $25 in parts and an hour labor. $260 is insane.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Weeeeeellll.. if you got 'em for $25 they were almost-certainly the wrong plugs.

The correct ones are roughly $10 each. I use NGK 94124s. There are likely others that work but if you look at the OE replacements you'll find ILKAR7L11 on both them and those, so.... for 1/3rd the price, roughly, yeah, I don't care if they come in a Mazda box :)

Note: Yes, you need a torque wrench and be careful not to cross-thread them when you reinstall. I use a piece of hose on the top and thread them in WITH MY FINGERS. You definitely DO NOT want to screw up the threads in the aluminum cylinder head!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey! Can we get back to the original question, PLEASE? (Just joking)

At how many miles did you change your spark plugs?

I am at 70K miles and the dealer wants about $260 to change the plugs. I can't do them myself, I am not mechanically inclined.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Hey @Clay Easton I'm not mechanically inclined either, but I wrote this up for how to change your plugs - it's actually pretty stinkin easy if you take your time and have the proper tools (if you don't, it's a good reason to invest in them!) :D

·
Registered
2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring
3 Posts
I have a 14 Sport. The manual says to change the spark plugs at 75,000 miles.

When did you change the plugs?

Thanks!!!
I have a 2016 GT and just changed mine at 75K. The old plugs looked okay but you could tell the top electrode had narrowed a bit. Nothing serious but noticeable.

It took me about 30 minutes total. I consider it cheap insurance for the car to continue to run well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts