1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 6i sedan && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made you look ;-)

2005 Mazda6i AT sedan:
I'm losing transmission fluid somewhere/somehow. I can add a whole quart to get from below "cold low" on the dipstick to about an inch higher, but after a short drive and sitting overnight, it's back below "low", and when cold, the transmission is very unhappy to get moving -- I'm best sitting in neutral for a little bit, then shifting into R or D each for a bit, then moving. The fact that all the parking here is on hills does not help at all.
I just replaced the driver's axle and seal, (no fluid at all came out when I pulled the old ones... suspicious.

While I was under there, I saw what looks like an access hole to the flywheel, and a small rectangular hole in the casing ahead of it (to the pasenger side). I know if that's the flywheel, there shouldn't be any ATF up in there, and it looks dry. But is that part of the same access hole I've heard of to reach the torque converter to drain it of fluid? Should there be a cover on this access hole? If not, where's the TC one? And, is that other small hole normal too? I guess, it could even be part of the engine block, not the transmission... just new to this design, so checking to be sure.

·
Registered
2005 Mazda 6i sedan && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean wagon
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, it seems like the leak was the axle seal after all. But, has no one have any feedback? Is this all normal?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was just glad you didn't have pictures of some sort of jagged smashed hole in the bottom of the transmission, like something had exploded out, with a caption "Is this normal?"
Hope everything works out okay for you!

·
Rally Racer
2,664 Posts
That ATX looks pretty wet. Glad you fixed that axle seal. Make sure the level is above low and clean. Also, replacing fluid at the rate you are... it may not be necessary to "change" it at all if you have put more than about 10qts in.

I don't believe you can "drain" the torque converter fluid directly. I think it is pumped through, and replaced by flushing ( I do not recommend) or consecutive drains.

You may have discovered why it was so cheap. A replacement trans is not that bad, but on the Islands, it may be more challenging to source. To soon to jump to conclusions here though.

As far as engine casting? Not sure, low resolution. If there are characters stamped into the block then I would say , yes, engine casting numbers (of some sort).
The flywheel teeth exposed? This is not entirely uncommon and probably okay, (unless you drive exclusively dirt/gravel). It likely came with a rubber plug at one point.
The holes to nowhere? They are possibly casting points. It is also possible they are attachment points for automated assembly as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts