Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Just purchased a gently used 2014 GT with I-Eloop and loving it!

The system wasn't working so well when I bought it, with a warning message on the info screen. And no eloop charging at all, but the engine started with no problems even in cold weather. Took it to the dealer for some recalls that hadn't been performed and got it diagnosed. It was that $500 battery, dang it.

Now that the system is running, I find that I get worse mileage because the eloop system only powers my electronics for 15 seconds?! So I no longer coast as smoothly when taking my foot off the gas. I'm not blasting my stereo nor have my climate controls blowing high. Recently got 36 seconds at the most. I'm concerned that I'll wear my alternator out sooner if it keeps switching over so frequently, and that's a pricey part too!

How long does it keep your systems running for? Could it be my capacitor?

TL;DR
Fixed i-eloop, doesn't run system for more than 36 seconds. Don't want to wear out my $500 alternator prematurely.

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
90 Posts
Hey,

How did you measured the runtimes? Once I've checked it in the Fuel Economy Monitor, mine almost discharged like yours. Its capacity should be a few Ah, and even if you have a light foot, there's still a lot of consumers (power steering, on-board computer modules, engine control systems, driver-assist features, etc.) what could draw a lot power. Anyway, based on this article it could lasts for almost a minute.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

How did you measured the runtimes? Once I've checked it in the Fuel Economy Monitor, mine almost discharged like yours. Its capacity should be a few Ah, and even if you have a light foot, there's still a lot of consumers (power steering, on-board computer modules, engine control systems, driver-assist features, etc.) what could draw a lot power. Anyway, based on this article it could lasts for almost a minute.
Thanks for the article! Well it seems as if my system is only slightly less funcional than what Mazda intended. I thought I read somewhere that it could last for 15 minutes, meaning I would only need to slow down 3 times on my commute! but one minute seems more reasonable.

I charged the i-eloop system by decelerating and then used a stop watch. My 14 doesn't have the fancy screen like your '16 has.

·
Registered
'16 M6, 2.5L, ATX
90 Posts
I see, but what are the indicators? I didn't experience any difference when the car using the capacitor or "switches" back to the battery at all. The drag is contant during decelerating, there's an animation on the screen (showing the state - charging/discharging), but I'm not sure how accurate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't tell when the electronics switch from capacitor to battery either. I was basing my usage time off of the dash indicator.

The only thing I can feel without a gauge is the alternator putting load on the motor/drivetrain. When taking my foot off the gas and capacitor is empty, for the first second I see the capacitor start charging and feel a light deceleration (more than if I was in neutral), the next few seconds with foot off the gas starts a moderate deceleration (but less than downshifting) and I'll quickly lose 3-5 mph, I'm pretty sure due to the alternator switching to 25v, after that when the capacitor is charged, I won't decelerate so aggressively and it'll almost feel like I was coasting.

I guess this is on the right track to saving fuel in creative ways, but without a larger capacitor it doesn't seem to make such a difference for us in the US who don't get i-stop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts