Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
75k on 191 and my oem clutch will not let me shift fast after 6k. i want to get a new clutch but my current layoff from cat i dont have the money to pay 1500 from aamco transmission. I also want to know if the exedy oem replacement ones are a good/decent 100k clutch. i dont beat on my car cause i cant afford to fix it right now. please let me know how hard it is to install and if the exedy oem ones are decent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure of your skill level, but i know from experience that replacing the clutch is a LONG job, even for trained techs. It's supposed to take someone who knows what they're doing 17 hours. I would honestly suggest scraping the couch, coin trays and begging to get the money to replace it professionally. As to the price you were quoted, I'd scream highway robbery. When i had mine replaced it was $1097 and some change (clutch included), and that was from a dealership. Shop around for a better price. Good luck.

·
Registered
734 Posts
ummmm 17 hours?!?!??!?!?!?! wtf!!!! no. its an 8 hour book job time. it takes me 4 to 5 depending... but it isnt an easy job persay but its not that bad either if you have the right tools

·
Registered
426 Posts
Go with Exedy. They are a great brand. I will be changing to an Exedy Heavy Duty (non-brass button) clutch. If you want you can also get the exedy heavy duty soft clutch (cushion button). It rides almost like oem but can take far more of a beating. If you do go heavy duty be careful because I drove my mates dc2 and was pulling chirpies in 4th gear.

It dumps power really quickly so consider that if you dump it too quick you will be scorching your flywheel.

edit: oh and I don't recommend doing this yourself. While a shop is changing it they can also machine your flywheel. It is worth getting everything looked at by a professional while its open. Also, look for a tranny specific shop for peace of mind. Some mechanics know how to do it but it does not mean they are doing it right... trust me

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (ttshark @ Aug 20 2009, 07:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1593851
Go with Exedy. They are a great brand. I will be changing to an Exedy Heavy Duty (non-brass button) clutch. If you want you can also get the exedy heavy duty soft clutch (cushion button). It rides almost like oem but can take far more of a beating. If you do go heavy duty be careful because I drove my mates dc2 and was pulling chirpies in 4th gear.

It dumps power really quickly so consider that if you dump it too quick you will be scorching your flywheel.

edit: oh and I don't recommend doing this yourself. While a shop is changing it they can also machine your flywheel. It is worth getting everything looked at by a professional while its open. Also, look for a tranny specific shop for peace of mind. Some mechanics know how to do it but it does not mean they are doing it right... trust me[/b]
bah do it yourself

·
Registered
680 Posts
If you're uncertain about this job in any way, give yourself at least 16 hours of shop time to get done. Do not plan on getting it done in less than 8 hours. That is unless you have access to a complete auto shop with air tools, and you're a mechanical wunderkind.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well I have done many of these and yes if you don't have the skill or have never done something like this then you could do more damage than good. The job should take anywhere from 5-8 hours from and experience mechanic.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a question do i have to remove the right side shaft that goes into the transmission to replace the clutch I took the left side shaft out. I have a 2004 mazda 6 6cyl. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
nations
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing