Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about purchasing a Stage 2 or 3 clutch around Christmas and I was wondering about how hard it was to replace a clutch. I know it is very time consuming, but if I get the proper tools and equipment (i.e - lift) is it possible for us to do it. The most I've done with my car is puting on everything in my sig either by myself or with my friend Sean. What do you all think? Just really time consuming or impossible for me?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I woudn't attempt it myself unless you really enjoy this kind of thing and have tons of time to spare. It's worth paying someone else to do it, IMHO

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I really enjoy working on my car. I am in the University of Louisville's Speed School which is an engineering school. I am majoring in mechanical engineering and hope to work in the automotive world once I get out of school. So I guess my question is whether it is just really hard, or just extremely time consuming?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Oct 21 2008, 11:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463209
Well I really enjoy working on my car. I am in the University of Louisville's Speed School which is an engineering school. I am majoring in mechanical engineering and hope to work in the automotive world once I get out of school. So I guess my question is whether it is just really hard, or just extremely time consuming?[/b]
I've read that the job isn't terribly technically difficult if you have a workshop manual and the correct tools, but like you've read, incidental shit/problems always pop up on a job like this and I haven't read of anyone on this site being glad that they decided to do it themselves......but, hey...if you're up to the challenge, take tons of pics of each step, the tools you use and do a proper, illustrated "how to"...it'll get stickied fo sho!

·
Registered
680 Posts
QUOTE (Front 1ine @ Oct 21 2008, 11:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1463199
I am thinking about purchasing a Stage 2 or 3 clutch around Christmas and I was wondering about how hard it was to replace a clutch. I know it is very time consuming, but if I get the proper tools and equipment (i.e - lift) is it possible for us to do it. The most I've done with my car is puting on everything in my sig either by myself or with my friend Sean. What do you all think? Just really time consuming or impossible for me?[/b]
I think it's definitely possible, if not likely, that you can do it. If you're confident in your ability, you know the car well enough, and you stay organized, then you can successfully complete this job. Especially with adequate tools and extra manpower. Just be prepared to encounter some frustration. I guarantee that.

Also, budge your time well! If you are racing the clock, then you will have a bad experience like I did.

·
Registered
734 Posts
if your good the clutch can be done in 4 hours with a lift and all the right tools... and if you not 11.... and if at home and just a shadetree kinda guy i could see double that.

·
Registered
845 Posts
This sucks major ass, fuck this mazda pile, :laugh: JK Its not bad at all but it takes a little effort. Im doing this by myself w/ a little help from my 12 year old neighbors kid. Yesterday I removed the tranny, but Ill have to wait till monday cuz machine shops are closed here on sundays and Ill need my flywheel to bling. I do have a busted thumb, few cuts here and there.

·
Registered
734 Posts
4 hours and blood sweat and tears.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's not a technically difficult job, but you have to brace the engine and remove the K-frame, plus all the clutch linkages and lines. It's time consuming, in a small space. It's better if you have a lift, obviously.

Figure a two day weekend for an amateur wrench that has help.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of this? Because I was contemplating taking this one during the summer.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CAPS NOT NECESSARY ALL THE TIME! haha

This is sounding like a complete bitch! I would recommend just googling around on how to replace clutches. It will give you the basic idea on how to do the job. Or, head to 6crew.com and check out their shop manual .pdf.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Does anyone know if you can pull the tranny off with the engine still in the car? I've seen it done on an MS6, but I was wondering if anyone has done it that way on a 6s.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
bodykits
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing