Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may be overanalyzing this a bit but I was curious at around what RPM you guys start off at. For the most part, I do not look at my tachometer but every once in a while I will glimpse down there and see the tach at 2-2.5k.
My car:
06 6i manual

My questions:
Is it better to:
-start off at around 1k and ride the clutch a little more and have a slow start(stays at around 1 the whole time until it catches)
-start off at 1k, let off quickly where it drops to about 500 but only for a fraction of a second(causes a small jerk but picks up quick)
-give it a little gas, start of at 2k and have a smooth transition(this method I can definitely feel the clutch spinning)

When I first bought the car, I babied the clutch and barely gave it gas but I would see all of the automatics passing me. Now I give it some gas and the starts are so much smoother but the rpm's are higher. Is this bad for the clutch? Reason why I am asking is because one of the salesman at the Mazda dealership took us on a test drive and revs to like 2-3k and says that clutches are made to start at that RPM during normal driving.( I do understand the more you use it, the faster it will go but I need this clutch to last at least 36k miles)

My last question is related to revmatching. I definitely do it a bit and I let go of the clutch really quickly, sometimes causing a clunk since I am off 250rpm's. Sometimes its perfect and feels like an automatic, other times it clunks a little. When revmatching should I slowly let go of the clutch at higher rpm's(3-4k) or just make a quick shift. Someone on the forums a while back told me that if you get it within 1k rpm, it doesnt harm the tranny. Hell that same mazda salesman didnt even revmatch, just let the clutch catch up to the next gear(it killed me inside)

Thanks in advance for the input.
Eddie

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i start about that high usually, and sometimes a bit higher, because if i take too long or hold the clutch at one point, i get clutch judder.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I start between 1300rpm to 2000rpm depends on my mood, less than 1300rpm I get the almost stall type judder a lot. While waiting for green light at an intersection, I sometimes start at 2500rpm just to smoke everybody else for fun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats nice, I think there were only two times where my car was faster than some one else's at a light. Its good to know that I'm not the only one who starts off that high. Hell, its a heavy car so I figure you gotta ride it, especially with 3 heavy passengers(and the AC on)

Hopefully my clutch will last unlike some of the members on this forum. Not sure if they have improved the 06 clutch.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Doesn't matter. It's all about your feeling to the clutch. Just play around with the car and you'll get it. Now I don't even need to give it some gas to start cuz I know there's already enough torque to get the car move at a point when I release the clutch. It starts off smoothly, my passengers barely notice I'm actually driving a mtx!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I start off around 1.5 ish but never ride it too long. I dont think i start too suddenly but whenever i look in the rear view, others are way behind. Plus my gfs sister told me to slow down when i take off as she saw me pulling from a light... seems weird to me, i though i was. I shall video tape it... as im bored.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I tend to keep the rpm's low, like 1.5k ish if im not in a hurry. If im in a hurry they go higher. Like the guy said it isnt an exact science... You gotta play with it. You dont wana smell clutch burning, and you dont wana chirp your tires... LOL

Btw I dont rev match, dont see a point in it. I assume you are still using your clutch while doing this? If not your shelling your tranny...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Btw I dont rev match, dont see a point in it.
[/b]

How can you not see the point, how do you downshift then?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldnt picture myself not rev-matching. The jerk would be too great. For example, I would be at 1800rpm or so in 5th and feel the zoom zoom passion and rev to 3k and go into 3rd. Not only is it smooth, but It makes me forget the days I ever owned an automatic.

My friend doesnt know how to revmatch and ends up jerking me back and forth. Another one of my friends lets the clutch compensate and during his shift, for four seconds, you can feel the clutch try to increase the speed of the engine.. Ouch!!

I can go from 5th to 3rd just as fast as I can go from 3rd to 4th or any other gear.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
i just got back from driving about 800 miles today, and ive decided that when the car is cold, i start off at bout 2k- 2.5k (only when icy cold). when its warm, ill hit 1.2k at highest.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I never paid attetntion until this post, but I noticed that it is usually between 2-2.5. If slow traffic then less..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just let the clutch out slow and go...

I dont mind a little jerkyness, I like it. But most of the time it isnt that bad if you dont downshift to fast or to slow...

·
Registered
949 Posts
i have my good and bad days. some days i can shift at low rpms under 2k smoothly. somedays i shift above 3k smoothly. somedays i shift so bad, my passengers complain. haha im still working on being consistent :drive:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Wow I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I live in a hilly area and find that only when i think about how I am going to shift from a stop or when someone is behind me on a hill when I am stopped that I mess up. I also have my good days and my bad at least I don't smoke the clutch anymore :) I have had the car for at least a month and I am having the time of my life driving this car.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Today I noticed a new better technique on my shifting. I am starting to like Method 2 better than method 1 but let me know how you guys drive:

Method 1:
Hold the gas in, let go shift, gas in again(jerky but fast)
-pros-fast shifts, not riding your clutch
-cons-jerks your passengers, you are essentially dropping the clutch but matching the upshift revs

Method 2:
Synchronization between Clutch and gas:
As you let go of the clutch, push in the gas(smooth as butter)
-pros-Smoother than an automatic, shifts are a little slower but still fast(not racing fast though)
-cons-you RIDE the clutch a lot more since you are pushing in the gas as you are letting go of the clutch, if you mess up and keep the gas pressed, you make a really jerky shift or burn up your clutch

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
One other thing that I thought about while driving the other day in traffic... How long are you waiting to shift that you have to rev match? If you shift up and down quickly the car doesnt have time to drop RPMs very much.

Method 2 would be better. As long as your simply letting the clutch out slow, your not really riding it. Unless of course by slow you mean 4 or 5 seconds LOL. And dumping the clutch isnt exactly the best thing for the clutch either. So stick with method 2 unless your in some kinda car chase.... LOL

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One other thing that I thought about while driving the other day in traffic... How long are you waiting to shift that you have to rev match? If you shift up and down quickly the car doesnt have time to drop RPMs very much.

Method 2 would be better. As long as your simply letting the clutch out slow, your not really riding it. Unless of course by slow you mean 4 or 5 seconds LOL. And dumping the clutch isnt exactly the best thing for the clutch either. So stick with method 2 unless your in some kinda car chase.... LOL
[/b]
I don't really wait that long to shift, basically within 1 second, I have shifted. 1-2nd shift, I almost always clunk. I do it to slow, it clunks, too fast, it clunks. When I sloowly let go of the clutch, it clunks. DAMN shift is the hardest shift to do. Neutral to 1st is easy, just 1st to 2nd. I hear the automatics are bad too when it comes to that.

I am starting to get used to method 2. It shifts like butter but I my car just keeps going too fast and I cannot stop it because I have no self control LOL. Hell, if I am going to 3rd, might as well go to 5th.

Sometimes I miss my automatic 1.6L 93 sentra. J/K..

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
6s MTX

1500rpm is good. goes to 2K if speeding away from a traffic light.

Wow I thought I was the only one that had this problem. I live in a hilly area and find that only when i think about how I am going to shift from a stop or when someone is behind me on a hill when I am stopped that I mess up. I also have my good days and my bad at least I don't smoke the clutch anymore :) I have had the car for at least a month and I am having the time of my life driving this car.
[/b]
The mazda6 MTX is actually very good for uphill starting.

Let go the clutch and floor the gas pedal. Works like a charm as the electronic throttle controls the rev rising beautifully.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts