Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still waiting for my 5speed steel grey 6s to come in. it will be here between may 5-9. It has all the options. So right now i'm really jealous of everyone here!! ok, now to the question. I was just wondering how the exhuast and engine sounded just stock. I test drove one allready but i forgot because i was to excited about driving the car. I know it isn't loud, but does it have a nice growl to it when you get on it, or is it real quiet? I'm asking this only about the V6 engine. and i promise...as soon as i get the car i will have pics for you guys! so dont bust my chops about not having any pics right now!! :D

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: how does the 6s sound

Decent sound when you floor it, otherwise, very quiet.

·
Registered
142 Posts

I thibk it sounds really good at higher rpms, a lttle quite at regular speeds

·
Registered
498 Posts

I may just be imagining, but after about 1500 miles, I think my 6s has gotten a little bit louder. It's not a huge difference, but I'm pretty sure I can hear the engine more than I used to. Maybe it depends on how loud my radio is (or isn't); or whether or not I have the windows down. (I just hope it's not a bad thing....)

·
Registered
244 Posts

Mine sounds really good now that I've removed some excess parts on the airbox :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Replying to Topic 'how does the 6s sound'

Originally posted by 1sexy6

Mine sounds really good now that I've removed some excess parts on the airbox :)[/b]
What did you remove? I am about to install a K&N air filter in my V6 Mazda6 and I want to remove anything restrictive in there!

·
Registered
244 Posts

if you look at your airbox, you'll see that there is a tube that comes out of the front of it and then goes straight up and stops right under a flat black piece of plastic which extends out from the top of the airbox. I took that off. I also removed the box and filter and took out the piece that is in the bottom of the box (looks like it's just there to restrict airflow). It was kind of hard to get out (held in by quite a few plastic clips). Now, in neutral, when you rev the car up, you get a nice sucking sound like you get with a CAI (just not as much) :) I'll go out and take some pics of what i'm talking about.
~Kyle

·
Registered
315 Posts

I was curious whether or not there were restrictions in the air box. I had a 1990 Ford Tempo (what can I say, I was low on funds) and it had a weird airbox. There was a hollow rubber "cone" inside the air intake. It narrowed down to about 1". I took a razor and cut it out of the intake, and the difference was noticable. I guess car companies do that to reduce noise. It sounded a lot better with the cone removed.

Do you have the V6 or the 4?

·
Registered
244 Posts

looks like i'm going to have to do a few posts to get the pics up. In the first pic, you'll see the pieces I removed. On the left is the tube that comes out of the front of the airbox and then makes a vertical turn upwards and stops right under the piece of plastic that extends out towards the front of the car on the top of the airbox (2nd pic). In the 3rd pic, the arrow points to the hole where the tube like plastic piece was removed. This is now where the air enters the airbox. This sits right behind the left fan, so I was wondering that when the fans kick on, would it be kind of like forced induction? :p Ok, in the 4th pic you see the bottom of the airbox. Go ahead and look at yours...you can really see how much that piece at the bottom restricts the air flow. Hope this gives you all a good idea of what I did.

~Kyle

·
Registered
315 Posts

1sexy6, nice call! I just did the mod on my airbox. That tube looks like some kind of secondary intake, although it probably doesn't flow very well. I took out the bottom tray. You're right, it looks restrictive and is probably there just to quiet down the intake. Also, on the right side, there is another intake with a valve. That is held on with 4 screws. I removed that to take a closer look at the top of the airbox, but then decided to leave it off. That opens another hole in the right side, improving flow further. I can't want to get my K&N. I should have as much air flow as I need. Now if I can just find a good cat back exhaust...

·
Registered
244 Posts

Thank ya :D I was also thinkin about removing that door on the side of the airbox but with what looks to be a vacuum sensor or somethign on the side i went ahead and left it alone. I'm getting really impatient with exhaust! Half tempted to go custom :(

·
Registered
315 Posts

I test drove my 6 after taking that airbox door off and there didn't seem to be any problems, i.e., no warning lights are anything like that. It's probably used to draw warmer air into the intake, but I am not sure why. I might plug up the hose so there are no problems with it. The intake is a lot louder now, especally at the top of the rpm band. I don't think airflow is going to be a bottleneck anymore :)

I dug around the net all day yesterday looking for some news on exhaust systems for the 6, but found nada. I'd love to get those shorty headers. But crap, that's $715, before you even kick the mule in the a**. You have to figure another $400 for a cat back system. That's some serious cheese. The stock Y pipe at the back of the car doesn't look like it flows especially well either. Plus, it goes from 2.25" down to 2" at the Y pipe out to the mufflers. Ughhhhh. At least we have the intake straight now. My car is no longer stock! Yippeeee!

·
Registered
244 Posts

STOCK = BAD :D
yeah, from the y-pipe back the exhaust looks pretty restrictive. I did find an exhaust set-up on Ebay for the 6:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=42610
but... $250 + another $40 to ship isn't worth it for 2 generic mufflers and stock sized piping.
I'm looking into another mod for the 6 that I did on my Subaru. It involves cooling the throttle body...i'll check into it and let ya know ;)

~Kyle

·
Registered
315 Posts

I just came back from driving around with the 1sexy6 airbox mod. I can't tell if it produces any more power since it's a scalding hot day here in the nastiest state in the Union. But, throttle response seems better. And it is a LOT louder. It's worth the mod just for the better sound. I would think it helps the car make a little more power since it almost completely opens up the airbox.

Come on, guys! Clean out that airbox!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'how does the 6s sound'

are you guys sure this is safe for the car? cause i think i will do this as soon as my car comes in this week. I dont want to go messing around with the airbox if it is going to effect something. Just scary to think about hurting a 6

·
Registered
244 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'how does the 6s sound'

I've had it done on the car for like a month...no CEL, no water issues, nothing. I've even had it in the dealership and had no issues with it there. :)

~Kyle

·
Registered
315 Posts

Originally posted by 1sexy6

oooh, I kinda like that....the 1sexy6 airbox mod :D :D[/b]
Well, it was your idea! I wonder if the intake is as loud with only the bottom tray removed. It would be pretty cool to run a cool air line into the second airbox intake.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts