Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of the members here that change my own oil.

Now I have a problem, my 2.3L takes 4.5 quarts everytime. So I will have 0.5 quart left over everytime. I don't want to waste the 0.5 quart by throwing it into the recycle container. How do you guys deal with the extra 0.5 quart everytime?

I really hate put in 4 quarts of fresh oil and 0.5 quart of leftover from last change. Plus I don't drive that much, I change my oil like twice a year. Currently I just store the 0.5 quart in a cool and dark area.

So how do you store the oil and keep the freshness?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Putting in the trunk and add to engine after autocross... :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you put it in the trunk, be sure to put it in a plastic bag, tie the top off before putting it in the trunk. So It doesn't leak all over the place.

If you open the trunk, there are tools on the passenger side? correct?
Well at the same place, but on the driver side pull away the carpet. There is a nice little hole down there which perfectly fits a little oil. And as a plus, no lost trunk space.

Just a little hole I found, no warranty if oil leaks all over the muffler or something and starts a fire.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you don't autocross or leak oil, use the rest up by coating all your tools w/thin coat of oil to keep them from rusting. Hope you have lots of tools! :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
If I were you, I put 4 quarts and forget about the 0.5 quart.

FYI, I have 2003 6S, it takes 5.5 quarts and I usually just put 5 quarts.

Remember, it's better to slightly underfill than overfill.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Why does it matter that you use the other 1/2 quart on your next change? Really, what has happened to it? Nothing so just use it in 3 months, oil dosent go bad sitting all by itself...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why does it matter that you use the other 1/2 quart on your next change? Really, what has happened to it? Nothing so just use it in 3 months, oil dosent go bad sitting all by itself...
[/b]
I agree. My Miata takes 3.5 quarts so I buy 4 quarts for one oil change and three quarts for the next. That half quart setting in the bottle isn't going to go "bad".

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[/b]
So what's the shelf life for a opened bottle oil? One year?

·
Registered
103 Posts

Remember, it's better to slightly underfill than overfill.
[/b]
I just hope you have read the threads on the 3.0 pumping the pan dry in hard cornering and the fact that the revised sumps on newer models handle 6 quarts. Not trying to lecture here, but I would rather have a half quart sitting on the shelf until the next oil change than to replace an engine.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

Remember, it's better to slightly underfill than overfill. [/b]

kinda depends on how the engine's oil system is designed. earlier hi-perf small block chevy motors had a very effective windage tray system and they actually recommended overfilling by one quart in "heavy duty applications" (GM's great catch all phrase for racing)

I doubt 1/2 quart overfill would raise the crankcase level high enough to let the crank whip it around, but if I were doing any spirited driving I certainly wouldn't want to go out underfilled.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
that the revised sumps on newer models handle 6 quarts. [/b]
The 2003 V6 is for 5.5 quarts. 2003 and up are 6 quarts. I have both versions.

I put 5 quarts on the 2003 and the dipstick looks full.

I put 6 quarts on the 2004 and the dipstick looks full.

If you want to know the health of my 2003 engine with 5 quarts oil and 7500 miles oil change interval, feel free to look at my UOA here.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The 2003 V6 is for 5.5 quarts. 2003 and up are 6 quarts. I have both versions.

I put 5 quarts on the 2003 and the dipstick looks full.

I put 6 quarts on the 2004 and the dipstick looks full.

If you want to know the health of my 2003 engine with 5 quarts oil and 7500 miles oil change interval, feel free to look at my UOA here.
[/b]
I noticed that in your sig...not saying that you aren't going to be fine doing it that way just that I would prefer on this paticular engine to fill it at least as much as the factory recomendation. It probably depends on how long a person lets the engine drain as well. My 03 always takes at least the full 5.5 quarts to come up to full on the dipstick although not all dipsticks are always created perfectly. If it is working for you that is fine.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Oils are hygroscopic, right (absorbing moisture,as from the air)?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Scorpion,

My organic chemistry is a bit weak, but oil is hydrophobic, meaning that it doesn't like water. So, if you put water into oil, the water will seperate out of the oil. Try this in the kitchen by taking some oil, adding wter to it and see the water fall to the bottom.

Now, the fear of having water in the oil is because the water and oil will form an emulsion, which is when the water gets suspended in the oil. This can negatively affect the lubricative properties of oil.

At home, to create an emulsion of water and oil, try making some mayonnaise- egg yolk (water) and oil coming together. Then heat up the mayonnaise and see it seperate into it's components.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont get the question... You put it on the shelf and then use it next time... It is oil for crying out loud, it was in the ground for 1000000 years, you think sitting on your shelf for a few months is going to hurt it? HEHEHE

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Oils are hygroscopic, right (absorbing moisture,as from the air)?
[/b]
I believe you may be thinking of brake fluid, which is hydroscopic. This is why you shouldn't use brake fluid after the container has been unsealed for some time, and why you should replace your brake fluid every couple of years or so.

As long as the oil is stored in a clean container (and covered to keep out dust and debris), I can't think of a reason you can't store the oil and use it later.

·
Registered
115 Posts
As long as the cap closes, leave it in your garage, your closet, or in your trunk. Use it at your next oil change.

Purposely running the vehicle 1/2 quart low is stupid!
Keep your oil levels perfectly topped off.

Open brake fluid bottles are the ones I dispose of if sitting too long in storage. I've got oil, PSF, ATF, antifreeze thats gotta be a couple years old in my garage, and in the trunk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts