Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't found anyone who has bought a manual 6 in America, and haven't found one yet to drive myself :-(

Those that have a manual: a quick review of the shifter/clutch feel would be nice!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to Topic 'How do you like the manual transmission?'

From the newspaper USA Today:

The manual transmission is disappointing. Because the Miata shifts brilliantly, requiring little movement and providing nearly perfect feedback to the driver, it could simply be that all else falls short. But 6's deficiencies seem more than that. The feel is notchy, as if something's gotten very slightly hung up very briefly. It's a reminder that the shift linkage on a front-drive car goes through contortions to move the gears.

But drive an Acura RSX and you'll know that shifting a front-wheel-drive car can feel fine. Also, when shifting the 6 up into second gear, the lever almost pops out of first, as if it weren't fully engaged; happens every time. Sporty types often want to shift themselves, so the gearbox should be a high point, not an aggravation.[/b]

·
Registered
167 Posts

I disagree with them.

I found the stick very smooth to shift, felt very good to me.

Then again, I'm used to VW, where the sticks seem to shift through the gears quite rough (don't know how else to put it). At least that was the case on the 92 and 94 models I have driven. I guess they've improved by now (I hope so anyway :sarc)

Also, the 6 I drove was a Diesel-powered European model. That might make a difference.

BTW, the way the clutch travels is VERY short on the 6 compared to my Passat. It really took me some getting used to (I managed to make the motor die a few times :sarc); but it felt good after a short while.

You probably already know this, but the same goes for the brakes as well - they're very tight, compared to the ones on the Passat that were extremely soft and mushy.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah, I scared the salesman a few times because I meant to tap the brakes and instead the car jerked us forward in our seats. While I was completely unprepared for that brake feel, I can see the benefits of it once I get used to it.

I think a short travel clutch will be nice- less work. I hope I can modulate the pedel mostly by bending my ankle, and not the whole leg.

Maybe that's because I have long legs.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

Yeah, I scared the salesman a few times because I meant to tap the brakes and instead the car jerked us forward in our seats.  While I was completely unprepared for that brake feel, I can see the benefits of it once I get used to it.

I think a short travel clutch will be nice- less work.  I hope I can modulate the pedel mostly by bending my ankle, and not the whole leg.

Maybe that's because I have long legs.[/b]
Long legs here too - I'm 6'3". I can't remember if I had to bend the leg or just the ankle though.

Getting used to my own brakes after I test drove the '6 was actually harder and took me longer than getting used to the '6's brakes :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

When my 6 was new, I felt that the trannie was a bit harsch, but now (2000 km later) it has loosened up and feels just as nice and smooth as the test car did when I drove that this summer.

It's a great trannie. Zoom-zoom!!:)

·
Registered
146 Posts

I ordered my Mazda 6S with Manual Trans on November 1; as soon as she comes later this month or next I will report!

I have driven the Mazda 6S with Manual Trans at the factory on the "Joy of 6" Family drive day that was held in late October with some preproduction cars. It was smooth and felt very nice... hence why I ordered one.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

I've driven both the 4 and 6 cyl with a manual and its fine, granted they were both brand new cars, so that might explain why it was a little tight. I would rate it a 7.5 out of 10, not quite the bolt action in a RSX but certainly smooth and fun. All the car mags seem to like it, not that I give them all that much credit. Seeing as I take there views with only a grain of salt and they are the supposed experts, I'll let you guess what I think of USAtoday.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

/me find it difficult sometimes to get in to reverse gear, but that's just /me beeing a n00b I guess...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Now that I own one with a manual I can say that it is a good smooth tranny, and I only have 400 miles on it. Is there a better one? Well, BMW and Honda do a damn good job, but you won't be disapointed with Mazda. My only problem right now is controling the power I have in first gear, I'm trying to not always take off like a bat outta hell when I launch, I'm getting better though :D

·
Registered
231 Posts

I quite like the feel of the Mazda6 gearbox. It has a bit more movement than some pure sport cars but I like it alot. It is smooth and the clutch is nice. I like it even better than my inlaws Subaru RX which has a shorter throw than the Mazda.

If you want to know what it feels like. Test drive a manual Protege. Its not the same gearbox but I found them to be very similar in feel. You don't have to work 1st and 2nd as much with the Mazda6 and it is a bit smoother throughout. Of course, I bought my Astina (Protege5) because of how superior I felt the gearbox was to all its competators.

For a joke take a manual Camry or Corolla out. I test drove a Camry Sportivo the day before and almost laughed it was such a clunky piece of junk. Every shift into second involved some praying and animal sacrifice to make it work properly. Once I drove the Mazda6 there was no going back.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Having come from a Honda I think the Mazda 6 shift is fine. I tried quite a few manuals including Camry, Lexus IS200, BMW 3-series, Falcon XR6 etc. Mazda6 was definitely one of the best. Not quite as light and quick as my Honda but not far off.

Worst was the XR6 - heaps of power but such a heavy, s-l-o-w shift....

·
Registered
56 Posts

Tranny is nice and smooth...clutch is wonderful! Worlds better than the one in my '01 Scooby RS. Not to mention, when you shift gears, it makes a cool sound :p :D

~Kyle

·
Registered
56 Posts

Sorry about the double post guys. If a mod. wants to delete the first one and this one...have at it! :)

~Kyle

·
Registered
39 Posts

Hey Stretch if you're still checking this thread, the 6S manual is available all over the place now. I live in MD too so check at Darcars and I think they have one. Gaithersburg Mazda has one in ugly yellow decked out. Not many to be found in traffic jam land VA.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Oh I forgot to say that the USA Today article probably refers to the 4 cyl. I didn't test that one but could it be possible that the 6S has a much shorter throw and clutch?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts