Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.5 hr drive to the track, so as soon as I get in line the car starts to heat-soak. After the 10 minute lineup I can race, but by that time the IC is hot.

Methods to keep cool... Need opinions (preferably tested ones)...
- Bag of ice on the IC.... is this the best method?
- Keep it idling? Since there will be airflow through the ic, it should keep it a little cooler than letting the heat come up into it. But then the engine is still making heat... Any opinions on this one? Since the line moves quickly, I have to turn it off/on all the time.
- I always remove the hood / firewall weather stripping to allow the heat to come out the back of the hood near the windshield. This works a bit, you can see the heat coming out.
- Open the hood, problem is, the line moves a car length every 30 seconds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Try dry ice on IC. This also makes the track very happy because you aren't dripping water everywhere. I would think that 5-10lbs should get you through the night. Also if you have friends there see if they will help you push the car so you don't have to constantly start the car up.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I find if I stay out of boost as I drive there the turbo stay's fairly cool. Keep the hood up and engine off while in line. Push the thing, just put your back in it, it's freakin heavy :)

I've never used ice, but I'm sure it would help.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I'd suggest trying a track where you keep moving but still have braking zones. You know, a road course.

:D

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you have access to nitrous ... spraying it directly on the ic helps wonders..... dry ice..... let me guess cayuga toronto motorsports park.
letting the car sit for a half hour in between runs. hood open all the time go to the outside line of time trials let others go in front.. let them pass you who cares... wait a lil it'll help
on a side note use the track gas i recommend it

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are also aerosol cans of spray air that you can use. The cans you use to clean computer components with works decently at cooling things off, but effects only last for a short while.
They do make little spray cans of NOS that you can use to chill an intercooler. Might want to look into that. Those are best used just as you pull up to the line.
Electrical contact cleaner is another one that chills quickly, and can be had in a can.
None of the above are permanent, all are to be used just as you pull to the line.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 1.5 hr drive to the track, so as soon as I get in line the car starts to heat-soak. After the 10 minute lineup I can race, but by that time the IC is hot.

Methods to keep cool... Need opinions (preferably tested ones)...
- Bag of ice on the IC.... is this the best method?
- Keep it idling? Since there will be airflow through the ic, it should keep it a little cooler than letting the heat come up into it. But then the engine is still making heat... Any opinions on this one? Since the line moves quickly, I have to turn it off/on all the time.
- I always remove the hood / firewall weather stripping to allow the heat to come out the back of the hood near the windshield. This works a bit, you can see the heat coming out.
- Open the hood, problem is, the line moves a car length every 30 seconds.
[/b]

99 RT Eh,

Go on JRP Online.com under the cooling section and go to Cryogenics:

The CryO² is a product designed to reduce the temperature of the air/fuel intake charge thus creating power. This system harnesses the cryogenic properties of liquid Co² to lower the air/fuel intake charge by up to 60%. :yesnod:

I think this will solve your problems with the heatsoak and definetly give you some extra HP. It's not cheap but for what it does it's really not that bad either. I think it runs $400. to $500...........but call them and check. You can also go to their retail store, it's on the South Service Rd., below the QEW between Erin Mills Parkway and Winston Churchill Blvd., it's beside a storage company on one side and a no-name gas station on the otherside, I think it's Cango or something like that. Anyway, it's not hard to find and you go in the side door.

I think I might install one also, because it can be moved from TMIC to a FMIC so it's not wasted money. I've noticed my car performs way better if it's not to hot, so this thing should make a huge difference. There is also a cheap intercooler water spray system for about $100. but I think that wouls be a bit messy.

Anyway, good luck, I hope one of these ideas solves your heat problem.

Kindest Regards,

Rocket 6 :drive:

There are also aerosol cans of spray air that you can use. The cans you use to clean computer components with works decently at cooling things off, but effects only last for a short while.
They do make little spray cans of NOS that you can use to chill an intercooler. Might want to look into that. Those are best used just as you pull up to the line.
Electrical contact cleaner is another one that chills quickly, and can be had in a can.
None of the above are permanent, all are to be used just as you pull to the line.
Thanks,
Jason
[/b]

FTASNTZ,

It's funny you say that because I tried it last weekend. I was using it for cleaning my keyboard and a light bulb went on ................portable intercooler sprayer. I think it works better for cleaning than actually cooling the intercooler, I don't think it's big enough. Hey, tape three cans together so you can spray a bigger area all at one time. :drool:

Kindest Regards,

Rocket 6 :drive:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Water and rubbing alcohol mix in a spray bottle would be good for a couple applications. Just not sure how much of the bottle will be used each time to get the desired effects.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I've seen some people that have fan bypass switches under the hood. Flip a switch and the fans stay on. Also, at the track I got to there's a place next to the lanes to park. I usually make a couple runs and park it for a bit.
[/b]
If you feel hot air being pushed through the IC air duct when parked, hood down, fans on, then fans are likely heating the IC core with hot rad air. Need a cheap indoor/outdoor digital thermometer with prope on top if IC to be sure.

If oem fans pressurize engine bay and do cause reverse flow through IC, then a thin spal 10-12" pull-fan in front of AC condensor would draw outside air through IC and engine bay, and keep rad cool enough while staging for drag race, with manual switch to turn off during run. Would be for strip only, no ac, with oem fan disabled.

·
Registered
65 Posts
maybe a dumb question but is there any risk with spraying liquid on a TMIC. I only ask because there are a ton of electrics in that area?/????

·
Registered
440 Posts
The only real solution is to go to track on colder but sunny days, warm sun to heat the asphalt, cool air for the car.

I never bother going to the track in summer anymore, either late fall or early spring when they open.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't need a permenent solution... My daily driving doesn't involve enough traffic for heat soak so really it's only at the track that I need a solution.

I'll try the bag of ice and leave the car off until I get within 5 cars, then I will let it idle. Then I'll post my times. If I remember, I'll throw a thermometer under the hood while I'm in line.

BTW, yes, Cayuga is the track.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't need a permenent solution... My daily driving doesn't involve enough traffic for heat soak so really it's only at the track that I need a solution.

I'll try the bag of ice and leave the car off until I get within 5 cars, then I will let it idle. Then I'll post my times. If I remember, I'll throw a thermometer under the hood while I'm in line.

BTW, yes, Cayuga is the track.
[/b]
If you can b4 tomorrow grab a bottle of nitrous from performance improvements with a ez nozzle.
you can spray it on your tmic between runs
it'll drop your temp drastically.
OMG i forgot
to take the heat away from the engine bay run you car with max fans on IE heat max it out for a couple of minutes.. itll help a little.. a few degrees here and there lowers the charge temp ...
best of luck
friday is supposed to be 13c
that'll be good too keep it at a decent level
enjoy

·
Registered
231 Posts
I haven't tried this but my advice would be CO2 gas instead (cheaper) or even an air cylinder/pig (preferrably cooled in a fridge or freezer before hand). Also, before spraying the TMIC I would mist it with a spray bottle to increase the conductivity to the fins.

I would definitely agree with turning the interior heat on full blast just before hand (worked on my old '86 Rustang GT). :whip:

Good Luck. We'll be :popcorn:

·
Registered
721 Posts
there is a specialized gel based ice pak similar to ones used for sports injuries that stays cooler longer than ice without the risk of water on the track or on your electronics. I don't remember the name but it was made specifically for the purpose of drag racing and intercooler cooling. other wise normal bags of ice and big ass cooler.

Cayuga's line up area is pretty level so I've been able to line up with hood open, engine off, pushing the car as the line advances. This works okay for the first few runs until your legs start giving out. After that, i usually advance by driving after the line has moved a few car lengths to limit the # of times i have to start and stop the car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I put my remote temp. thermometer on top of my intercooler and drove to and from work today to see what the temps are. I have it placed beside the mazda M on the intercooler.

Amb temp: 12C, IC temp: 13.2C
Turned it off and measured the temp changes every 5 minutes....
all temps in celcius
13.2 @ 4:40pm
17.9 @ 4:45pm
25.1 @ 4:50pm
37.7 @ 4:55pm
46.4 @ 5:00pm
54.8 @ 5:05pm
59.1 @ 5:10pm
missed 5:15....
63.9 @ 5:20pm
Then I opened the hood...
44.2 @ 5:25pm
35.9 @ 5:30pm
27.1 @ 5:35pm
Closed the hood
32.1 @ 5:45pm, then it proceeded back up over 40.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You could get an Evo style hood, they were designed to get rid of engine bay heat. Kinda of exp but one way to get rid of a little heat.

·
Registered
820 Posts
The best mod that has been working for me is to remove the weather strip from the back of the engine. It is very simple to take off, and once performed leaves almost a 1/2 inch gap between the hood and black plastic firewall cover. You can actually feel the hot air coming out of the gap, when driving the hot air is sucked out of this gap. The IC is cool to the touch even after driving hard. I'm confident taht this reduced the underhood temps by at least 40 degrees. I would love if someone with a measurement tool could test this out for me.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems that keeping it idling with a bag of ice on the IC kept the temps down the most.

Fastest run last night was 13.942 @ 97.84 with a 2.011 60'. Ya, I need to work on the launch ... a 1.90 60' would put me into the 13.79 range.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts