Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Just took delivery of a 05 6S Wagon. I was warned in advance as to the throttle lag issue. I was also told of a TSB to help the situation. Having only owned the 6S for a day, what are the symptoms of the Lag. I would imagine it is less noticeable in a MT since I can spool up the revs before I take off.

I will be visiting the service are today (hope it is not too frequent) since something is causing the car to think the doors are open. I would imagine a sensor wire is reversed or seomething. Anyway, since I would be ther I figured I would mention the TSB on the lag. Anyone know the TSB number off hand?

Does it just affect cars made up until a certain month or all of them?

Best regards,

Marc Webster

·
Registered
359 Posts
typically when at 10-5mph(ie slowly rolling for a left turn at a stoplight) and you step on the gas to go... the car take a second or 2 before going...

·
Registered
901 Posts
its not really a "problem" or soemthing can can be "fixed" by a dealership so to speak. Its just kinda there with the automatics. Since its an electric throttle and not by cable it takes a sec for the computer to actually realized you pressed the gas. lol. Most automatic electric throtles arent noticable but the 6's is. Although I havent actually driven a atx so I wouldnt exactly know how bad it is.

theres also things you can do to sorta "help" the lag. Examples: Ground the throttle body, get the most recent ecu update, etc.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hey All,
Just took delivery of a 05 6S Wagon. I was warned in advance as to the throttle lag issue.
[/b]
I can speak from an auto perspective. When trying to make a left turn at a busy intersection becomes a scary proposition, then you know you have throttle lag.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Mine completly whent away with the entire update they put on I wa salso have a rough jerky shifting which has also whent away. (The hard shift is 100% gone but the lag is still there but it is NO WHERE near as bad as before)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine completly whent away with the entire update they put on I wa salso have a rough jerky shifting which has also whent away. (The hard shift is 100% gone but the lag is still there but it is NO WHERE near as bad as before)
[/b]

Hey Hedsic,

what update was done? Was it the TSB for the lag? If so, do they just update something in the ECU. I mentioned to the service guy last night when I dropped it off at the dealer to have the one issue fixed. He said that I should give the motor some time to break in a bit since it only has 200 miles on it. The 2005 5 door I tested seemed much more peppy on the throttle then the wagon. maybe its the weight? Anyway, I am scheduled for a 5000 mile check up and I will give it until then to learn how the car responds and I will have a better idea if I have any issues.

Best regards,

Marc

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
when rolling slowly....lets say you slow down because of a red light, and it turns green so you hit the gas....it feels like to me that the transmission is going to be laying on the ground...it lags and then catches and then takes off

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello All,

Thanks for the great replies and the link to the TSB, that was exactly what I wanted. I am pretty sure I do need this mod and will mention it to the service guy today when I pick up the car. On a side note, but somewhat related, did anyone try grounding out the throttle body as mentioned in other posts? I have seen the grounding kits with equalizers (caps I think in fancy box) on ebay for reasonable prices. I alse read elswhere that grounding does help, but not to bother with the kits and just do it with heavy wire. If anyone has any experience with this please let me know. Some people just grounded the throttle body alone and said it helped. If anyone has any info on how to do it I would be very interested.

Sorry for all the dumb questions, but very gratefull for the great answers I have been given.

Marc

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think this is what you are looking for.
[/b]
I had the PCM/TCM update done a few months ago on my 05 6s ATX but I'm still feeling the lag and jerky shifts especially between 1st and 2nd. I was looking over the TSB again and decided to compare the calibration info on the TSB to the calibration info the technician put on the "Authorized Mod" sticker. (Just to make sure I got the latest). I noticed that they only wrote a calibration number for the PCM update but nothing for the TCM. I'm not sure if that means they forgot to write it on the sticker or just never did it. The TSB says doing one without the other on an ATX will cause even worse responses.

I don't want to go back to the same dealer cause they are morons so my question is, would another dealer be able to tell if the TCM was performed?

Also, this may be a dumb question but the TSB shows 2 PCM calibration numbers for the ATX. One has a Spec. code of CAL. and the other says FED. What's the difference and should they both have been done?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I don't want to go back to the same dealer cause they are morons so my question is, would another dealer be able to tell if the TCM was performed?

[/b]
On the report they give you stating the service performed, it would state what was done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
On the report they give you stating the service performed, it would state what was done.
[/b]
Hey smokeU6s,

I'm actually from the same area. Mt. Laurel/Marlton. I did look at the report and it says performed PCM/TCM update but because my lag is actually worse than before I got the update I thought maybe what they wrote and what they actually did were 2 different things. I'm really concerned now that I looked at the Mod sticker and it doesn't show both updates.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Also, this may be a dumb question but the TSB shows 2 PCM calibration numbers for the ATX. One has a Spec. code of CAL. and the other says FED. What's the difference and should they both have been done?
[/b]
I'm sure another dealer would be able to tell you what revisions your car has.

The two different PCM calibrations are for the two different emissions standards, Federal and California.

C

·
0 Posts
I'm a newbie to this forum (just registered yesterday) but I've already gotten great info
from it. I've been experiencing the throttle lag since I bought the car and I've also
been disappointed with the way the car shifts in manual mode.
I love the car but this has been getting more and more annoying lately.
I'll be making an appointment to get the flash updates done this week and I'll post
the results.

Since I do my own maintenance the car has never seen the dealer since I bought it in March.
Are there any other updates I should have them do while it's there?

Chenz
2005 6s 5dr ATX, 16K miles

C

·
0 Posts
Well brought the car in to have the updates done.
They upgraded the TCM and the PCM.
There is a definite improvement. The low end stumble that
the car had is gone.
It still seem to take the transmssion a little longer than I'd
like to figure out what gear it wants, but it's much better.

Not sure what verson of software they loaded though, it wasn't
on my receipt. I guess I'll have to call and ask.

Chenz
2005 6s 5dr ATX, 16K miles

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just picked up my 6 on Saturday and I noticed that lag since the test drive and I assumed that was the way the car ran for a smooth ride. Well after reading all of this I now know that it can be fixed.

I also will post the results of my upgrade to the TCM and the PCM.

I will also be adding the additional graounding mentioned in other threads.

Will let you all know soon.

THANK YOU for all the great info for the 5 days that I have owned car.

Y

·
0 Posts
New guy here with a 6s Wagon.

I am having the lag issue described here as well. I called my dealer and told them about the pause when I hit the gas and the response was "Well, we aren't selling Indy cars."

Grrrrreat.

I will send that linked PDF over to them and see what I can have done.

Thank you!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice thanks for the info guys... ill take a look at this stuff.

Question though... these "updates" is this something covered by mazda or do i have to shell out some cash to have it done? How does it work, how long and so on... I have a 2004 4door 6s. the PDF says its for 2005....?

·
Registered
14 Posts
At least two of the three 2006 m6s I test drove before buying had a lag to the acceleration. All were V6 ATX cars. I assumed when test driving that they had just accumulated some water in the gas from sitting on the lot (woops).
Anyway, i thought this might help others with there issues ...
just had mine in for drivability problems including a lag or hesitation on acceleration. The car also had idled somewhat rough and was slow to start when warm.
The dealer reprogrammed some of the computers (traction control, ECM and trans I think), plus replaced the EGR, the fuel pump and one of the ignition coils along with the spark plug for that same cylinder. The idle is now smooth, the starting is quick and the lag (I would call it a hesitation) was greatly reduced.
BTW, mine is a 2006 V6 ATX with just 700 miles on it. The throttle body was the “BB” from the factory.

·
Registered
359 Posts
can you post what they do repgrogramming wise, do you have the version/revision of the software? is it the PCM? TCM?

what is EGR...?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
VeeSix m6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing