Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Need some help. I have been trying to change my rear rotors and pads but cannot seem to depress the piston back into the caliper.
Do i need to screw the piston back in the caliper?
I have taken off the cap from the reservoir (where you add more brake fluid), put the car in Neutral and released the parking brakes and the piston still will not go back into the caliper.

Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yep the piston will need to be screwed back in. You can rent the tool from Auto Zone.
Also some have used plires to turn it.
But make sure you don't hit the rubber boot.

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
QUOTE (ttshark @ Aug 13 2009, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591611
Back in the day we used to wrap the caliper in cloth and use a vice clamp hahaha. Technology...[/b]
You can still do that with the fronts. Or other cars that have that design.
For example on my dad 05 Monte Carlo i used the clamp and old pad to compress piston.

·
Registered
426 Posts
QUOTE (blue06mazda6 @ Aug 14 2009, 08:06 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591613
You can still do that with the fronts. Or other cars that have that design.
For example on my dad 05 Monte Carlo i used the clamp and old pad to compress piston.[/b]
Yeah old pads is the preferred method with the clamp. Back in the day for me is like 2 years ago haha. Any earlier and I'd still be High School.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does the screwing piston apply ONLY for the back caliper or also for the front? I thought the front was just compressing with a g-clamp??

Pez

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Plz if doing pad replacement, open the bleeder, connect a hose and dump the old fluid. Otherwise all that sediment is forced into the MC. Bleed the brakes when done adding fresh fluid from a new container.
Also i would advise using very small hose and syringe to suck up the old fluid from the MC. The moisture and sediment needs to be removed from the system for the hardware to last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts