Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 6s, with fog lights, 6 atx....... but quite sure of the model. I bought the car with 7,800 miles on her from the dealership....... msrp was 23,900 and added on equipment it came out to 26,920 (bose, power moonroof, emission) I heard from the salesman it was a "grand touring" model but it doesn't actually say that anywhere on paper or the dealer sticker. When I look at the reflection from the back of other cars, the headlights look much different than the fogs, but I guess just having a projector housing would do that? Light color seems to be a little different as well. So HOW CAN I TELL IF I HAVE HID's OR NOT????

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
At that price, there's no HIDs. HIDs would be listed as an Option if they were available, and you'd notice it because they're quite pricey.

The difference between the lights that you're noticing is, as you presume, a result of the projector housing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The way that you can tell is if on the left side of your steering wheel where the TCS button is, if you have a small dial that has a 1,2,and 3. Those are HID adjustment levels.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAmnit, I was stoked because I thought I had the high intesity discharge......... are the aftermarket kits quality? I mean, using the stock housing wiht the added power supply and different bulbs will that be a good option? Any thoughts??

·
Registered
159 Posts
DAmnit, I was stoked because I thought I had the high intesity discharge......... are the aftermarket kits quality? I mean, using the stock housing wiht the added power supply and different bulbs will that be a good option? Any thoughts??
[/b]
Lots of thought, since lots of people have done it... The kits are very good quality (hence their lifetime warranty) and have just recently been approved as being street legal (they weren't for a while). I would personally go with the aftermarket kit, they make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
and have just recently been approved as being street legal (they weren't for a while).
[/b]
Really? Can you please cite the source of this information? Last I checked, HID kits were quite illegal.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Really? Can you please cite the source of this information? Last I checked, HID kits were quite illegal.
[/b]
HID kits aren't illegal at least not here. hell my friend just finished his HID setup with 3 sets of 6000k xtec 55w kits.

·
Registered
366 Posts
HID's aren't illegel here either. He installed 3 sets of HIDs on his car?!?!?! I got the 6000k on my car, going to get the 8000k bulbs later on after the 6000k burn out....but i was wondering, for those of u that did the retrofits, how do they project, better?? Was the install hard? And where do u get the projectors from?? like if u cant find any BMWs or Acura TL/TSX around to get off of. Where can u order them on the internet, and r they good?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
yeah 3 6000k sets of hid's. high/low/fogs on his truck.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Just cuz people install them liberally, doesn't mean they're legal. Kits are indeed quite ILLegal.

Having said that, my own setup isn't legal either.

Not trying to come down on people who have kits installed, I was one of them too once, but know the facts... they're illegal.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Another way to tell is that HIDs take a few seconds to get up to full brightness. They come on dimly at first, then visibly ramp up to full intensity.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I wouldn't wrry much about the HID's but instead the price you paid...

Is that in USD?

About $27k OTD for a USED 6S? Or am I msising something here?

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Just cuz people install them liberally, doesn't mean they're legal. Kits are indeed quite ILLegal.

Having said that, my own setup isn't legal either.

Not trying to come down on people who have kits installed, I was one of them too once, but know the facts... they're illegal.
[/b]
hid kits as in the xtec/apex etc are illegal? that's odd as you can buy cars with similar HID's pre-installed. if HID's were illegal then the police officer who commented on my friends truck last night would have said more don't you think?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
hid kits as in the xtec/apex etc are illegal? that's odd as you can buy cars with similar HID's pre-installed. if HID's were illegal then the police officer who commented on my friends truck last night would have said more don't you think?
[/b]
HID kits are illegal, HIDs themselves are not.

It is a violation of federal motor vehicle laws (NHTSA FMVSS #108) to install HIDs into a car that didn't come that way from the factory. Even if it's a manufacturer option on the car you've got, you cannot install them or have them installed. Only the factory can legally install HIDs into DOT-approved HID headlight assemblies. You can legally swap entire headlight assemblies though, and ApexCone does offer those kits though I don't believe for the Mazda6.

Does that mean you're going to get in trouble? No. Even if the cop knew they were HIDs to begin with, and even if a cop knew the law (and few do), they have absolutely no way, unless they're a complete car buff, to even know that your HIDs aren't factory-installed. And then they have to prove that you aren't using perfectly legal HID assemblies that are available for some models.

Basically your chances of getting in trouble are about 1,000,000:1. And probably exponentially better than that as long as you stay at 6,000K or below (the 8,000K+ are so obviously aftermarket).

177 Posts
You can get JDM Atenza ;-) haha. Over here they are standard on my model. And they are automaticly adjusting...I can tell cuz when I turn them on, they re-adjust themselves by going down all the way, then up...I get wierd looks sometimes cuz there like, WTF, y are the lights moving up and down lol. I love my HIDs...so pretty....*sigh*

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

It is a violation of federal motor vehicle laws (NHTSA FMVSS #108) to install HIDs into a car that didn't come that way from the factory. Even if it's a manufacturer option on the car you've got, you cannot install them or have them installed. Only the factory can legally install HIDs into DOT-approved HID headlight assemblies. You can legally swap entire headlight assemblies though, and ApexCone does offer those kits though I don't believe for the Mazda6.

Does that mean you're going to get in trouble? No. Even if the cop knew they were HIDs to begin with, and even if a cop knew the law (and few do), they have absolutely no way, unless they're a complete car buff, to even know that your HIDs aren't factory-installed. And then they have to prove that you aren't using perfectly legal HID assemblies that are available for some models.

Basically your chances of getting in trouble are about 1,000,000:1. And probably exponentially better than that as long as you stay at 6,000K or below (the 8,000K+ are so obviously aftermarket).
[/b]
so i call up mazda tomorrow and say "i'd like HID's put in my 06' mazda 6" they'll tell me no? i only ask as i'm curious.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Yes. Unless you swapped the entire headlight assemblies out and even that's treading a fine line in the regulations.

And, to cover themselves, they might require the auto-levelling too. The NHTSA is probably going to require auto-levelling (and maybe even washing) on all HID-equipped cars sold in the near future.

Basically, they'd tell you "No" even if it was possible. It would require way too much work to do correctly and probably cost well over $3000 (headlight assemblies alone on those HID models are probably north of $1000 each, since even the much-more-mass-produced regular version is like $700)

·
Registered
359 Posts
if i remember correctly the only 2 trim with HID for MY 2006 was either

the 6s Grand Sport
or the speed6.

You ain't missing much, the stock HID aren't all that bright compare to say the HID on a BMW or Mercedes

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

[/b]
I thought you only needed a projector housing to have HID lights installed correctly??

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Lots of people see projectors and immediately associate that with HIDs. This is far from true.

Projectors come in two types: halogen projectors and HID projectors.

Halogen projectors are not designed to take HID bulbs of any sort. They are only made to take standard halogen bulbs, like H1, H3, etc. Its not a matter of getting the bulb to fit. The entire projector is inappropriate for dealing with the light coming from an HID capsule.

The NHTSA ruling on kits states that any car that rolled off the factory floor without HIDs cannot have HIDs legally installed afterwards, unless the entire OEM mechanism from a HID equipped car is retrofitted into the aforementioned car. The main issue is, of course, glare.

Sticking a kit into a halogen projector does not come close to making things legal.

hid kits as in the xtec/apex etc are illegal?
[/b]
Yep.

that's odd as you can buy cars with similar HID's pre-installed.
[/b]
OEM HIDs are very different from HID kits. No car manufacturer will install a kit into a car. If car dealers are selling cars with kits installed, then I'd say that's shady business.

if HID's were illegal then the police officer who commented on my friends truck last night would have said more don't you think?
[/b]
Depends on who pulls you over and how much they know about aftermarket automotive lighting. I drove around with a kit for over a year and never got pulled over.

People with 8000K+ kits installed into a reflector housing tend to get pulled over more than people with 5000K kits in projectors. If a cop looks at your lights and doesn't get dazzled by the beam, and if the colour of the light looks fairly close to OEM (4300K), then the cop's more likely to think that the HIDs are OEM and not a kit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts