Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question comes from sheer curiosity and because I drove my car about 100 miles without the rear sway bar connected due to fitment issues. Not sure if the rear sway bar is essential for daily driving, of course for performance driving it plays a huge role, but lately I've been taking it easy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What sort of consensus are you expecting?

Is it bad to drive with loose lug nuts? yes. it is. It's also bad to drive without your sway bar attached.

Your posts are becoming ridiculous.

Aside from this post, what else have you found ridiculous? Loose lug nuts are not the same as driving without the rear sway bar fully connected. The RSB is held down with the two brackets with the polyurethane bushings so it's still secure and I ziptied the loose end to the sway bar. The wheel falling off is way more dangerous than the current car's condition.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I ziptied the loose end to the sway bar.
Do what?? You used zipties to instead of the end links or you ziptied the swaybar out of the way? I personally wouldn't want to drive without it connected. The way people drive around here, I've had to swerve the car out of the lane to avoid accidents. I don't need the rear end to slide from up under me lol.

If you need to rig something up until you find the links that you need ( they should be cheap enough) you should look into something at home depot/Lowe's/whatever. Personally if I HAD to in a tight spot I'd get grade 8 bolts that would fit the mounting points as well as some eye turnbuckles.

everbilt-turnbuckles-807036-64_1000.jpg

That would at least hold up longer than zip ties.

This would be a very temperoty situation. You need to get some end links.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do what?? You used zipties to instead of the end links or you ziptied the swaybar out of the way? I personally wouldn't want to drive without it connected. The way people drive around here, I've had to swerve the car out of the lane to avoid accidents. I don't need the rear end to slide from up under me lol.

If you need to rig something up until you find the links that you need ( they should be cheap enough) you should look into something at home depot/Lowe's/whatever. Personally if I HAD to in a tight spot I'd get grade 8 bolts that would fit the mounting points as well as some eye turnbuckles.

View attachment 238646

That would at least hold up longer than zip ties.

This would be a very temperoty situation. You need to get some end links.
So the endlink is tightened down at the top where the sway bar holes are, it's just not connected at the bottom which is why I ziptied it against the sway bar so it wouldn't move around during the minimal driving I did with that issue.

·
Rally Racer
2,199 Posts
So the endlink is tightened down at the top where the sway bar holes are, it's just not connected at the bottom which is why I ziptied it against the sway bar so it wouldn't move around during the minimal driving I did with that issue.
Bummer you have to do that. Mechanically there should not be a problem with it being disconnected. The car is likely to be very unstable and will not respond well in an emergency situation. Practice a bit in an open lot to see what it will do...could be fun.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Aside from this post, what else have you found ridiculous? Loose lug nuts are not the same as driving without the rear sway bar fully connected. The RSB is held down with the two brackets with the polyurethane bushings so it's still secure and I ziptied the loose end to the sway bar. The wheel falling off is way more dangerous than the current car's condition.
It's a Christmas miracle! 😆

·
Registered
485 Posts
Older vehicles did not have sway bars. Sway bars were invented to improve stability when turning at high speeds, when fully loaded and/or during emergency (swerving) situations. Even with it disconnected, modern vehicles have other nannies to help you maintain control.
At city driving speeds you shouldn't feel any differences.

So avoid driving without it but it is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bummer you have to do that. Mechanically there should not be a problem with it being disconnected. The car is likely to be very unstable and will not respond well in an emergency situation. Practice a bit in an open lot to see what it will do...could be fun.
Appreciate the helpful and concise information, definitely am looking into solutions and will try to get that sway bar attached through and through this weekend!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Older vehicles did not have sway bars. Sway bars were invented to improve stability when turning at high speeds, when fully loaded and/or during emergency (swerving) situations. Even with it disconnected, modern vehicles have other nannies to help you maintain control.
At city driving speeds you shouldn't feel any differences.

So avoid driving without it but it is not the end of the world.
Any car with IRS has a sway bar. Solid axle cars have a panhard bar to keep it from swaying too far and popping the springs out from under it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Any car with IRS has a sway bar. Solid axle cars have a panhard bar to keep it from swaying too far and popping the springs out from under it.
Just so we do not confuse anyone, a Panhard rod is not a sway bar and it doesn't eliminate sway. It is designed to ensure the solid axles do not move laterally, only vertically. Many vehicles will have both, a sway bar and a Panhard rod.

Blue = solid rear axle (not a Mazda 6)
Green = sway bar
Red = Panhard rod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts