Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering snow tires for my MS6. Living here in D.C. we don't get that much snow. If I go with 17" wheels and TRUE snow tires I will also have to eventually have to replace my 18" stockers this spring summer. The 17" tires/wheels are around $800.00 then ANOTHER $800 for 18" tires this spring summer. I was going to go the 18" all season route. I found these on Tire Rack.com. Anyone have any opinions on them good or bad???

Continental ContiExtremeContact 225/45ZR18 $132.00 each.

[attachmentid=17952]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have them right now on my 6s and I must say for a all-season tire they are great in the snow, we got a lot of sleet more then snow the night I put them on and they were fantastic compared to my OEM michelins.

Far as dry handling goes they are pretty decent to, just don't take corners to fast as they to get squirmy sometimes.

Overall they are great tires in the snow, the have good traction under acceleration and stop whell under heavy braking, both ABS and TCS didn't turn on much unless I pushed them to.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have them and they're more than adequate for getting going in the snow. I could get going from a dead stop even on steep hills. That said, they're not in the same league as Blizzaks when it comes to stopping or driving on sheets of ice.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought the ContiExtremeContacts for winter as well. In MD I think you'll be fine with those. I don't think you need a dedicated snow. I got them in 225/45-18 and have about 3000 miles on them. No rubbing so far, but my aftermarket wheels (Kazera KZ-S) have a good offset also. Only had them in snow once and only for a few miles at very low speeds (freak storm, lots of traffic). A friend has them on his Sentra SE-R Spec V and has no problems in winter with just FWD.

The only issue I have with them is that at 70-75, and especially at 73 mph they really hum. Enough to notice it over the radio. Sounds like I'm riding on off road tires. No big deal though, a couple mph up or down and all's quiet again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A coworker has them on his Legacy GT...He really likes them. I read a lot of reviews on tires when i needed some last week. Lots of positive feed back on these, but there were some people saying that these might as well be snow tires for the lack of performance in the summer months. Tire Rack also had them on back order last week, maybe some new ones came in...

I opted for the 225/45/18 toyo proxes4 for the better performance. They were rated as acceptable in the snow without losing the edge in the summer. You may want to check them out, you get even less snow down in DC than we do here in Pittsburgh

edgeracing.com has them for only a few more dollars

-D

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have them on my speed as well and I like the way they handle. I have yet to have them into any snow, but rain they ahve done very well in. I am glad to hear other speed owners have these on! I got mine for $115 a piece mounted and balanced at Town fair tire. I have 10k miles on them already and they show NO sign of wearat all.. Not like the potenzas!!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just put on a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M&S in 215/45-18. They are W rated and match the load index of the OEM tires. I haven't had them in snow, but they do well on both wet and dry pavement. They don't make a lot of noise and they stick pretty well (although not quite as well as the summers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts