·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ventured to install one?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
yeah we have basically the same thing selling one of those things here in canada last year or 2 years ago i forget.. i bought it and asked opinions of other members... some people said that due to the extreme heat from that thing, it WOULD probably crack the windshield that is extremely cold...

i cant find the product in canadiantire.ca anymore, but go and try it out and let us know.. hehe

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am thinking it might not work so well... Hot water will freeze faster than cold. And unless your car is warmed up and heating the glass up, it probably just clears the frost temporarly and then freezes over. Not to mention the ad said it talkes 2 minutes... That means you would probably pump your car dry every morning. LOL

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess you guys didn't really read it. It is 149 degrees. Watch the video! It works without cracking the windshield no matter what the temp is.

This option is already available from the factory on some GM products. You bought THIS VERY MODEL? From where? They just started selling it aftermarket

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I guess you guys didn't really read it. It is 149 degrees. Watch the video! It works without cracking the windshield no matter what the temp is.

This option is already available from the factory on some GM products. You bought THIS VERY MODEL? From where? They just started selling it aftermarket
[/b]
i bought the thing for 14.99CAD+tax intro price, then after i consulted with the forum, i returned them asap.. it's not the same brand, but it's the same concept.. and i believe the brand is motorcraft or something like that... the size and looks really looks like a 200W power inverter...

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=44850

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am not saying it wont melt the ice off. But it wont keep the ice off. That is the problem. Good deicer fluid will melt the ice, yet because the glass is not being warmed by the defrost ice forms back over. It might heat the glass up so hot that it works long enough to help, but I would have to see it first to believe it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,932 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I have seen the OEM Buick ones, and it is nothing but a gimmick. Unlike the older heated windshields (InstaClear was the Ford name), they don't work all that much better than the normal defogger.

Pricey gimmick that's going to be a major draw on the electrical system.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Ford one was actually tiny lines in the front windshield that defrosted the windshield. It's now an option on the Explorer....a better idea IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts