Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea if the horsepower will be lower in the US and Europe than in other places because of emissions restrictions. California, where I live, has the most restrictive emissions laws in the world. Many cars are de-tuned, even from the rest of America.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Horsepower in different countries?'

MazdaMan,

In a previous thread:
http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=96
that I started, you told me that horsepower for the four cylinder will be 160 in the States. There is about a 10 hp drop from the European model. And DuratecPerformance thinks it is due to the lower octane in our fuel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Whoops. You're right, I read that off of the mazdausa.com sight though, so don't blame me entirely. That 10 hp can't be that big of a difference. In California we use 91 in most of our gas stations. I'm sure we'll have an extra catalytic converter in there weakening the emissions and hp.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

It's strange that the HP rating is lower here than in Europe. From Japan I would understand. Their gas is 99-100 RON and lower sulfer as well. Many JDM models get gasoline direct injection, which allows for improved gas mileage and/or power. If they used that with our gas, the injectors would go bye-bye very quickly. But we normally get better power ratings than the rest of the world.
The Subaru WRX for instance:
Japanese Domestic model: 240 hp
US model: 227 hp
European model: 217 hp
Australian model: 215 hp
It's true that European emissions regulations are less stringent. However they have economic disincentives for that. In England you are taxed on emissions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts