Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just looked at the owners manual and it says the fuel tank is 18 gallons and when i fill it up i get ~ 300 miles to the tank. that equates to about 17 miles a gallon. why is it so bad??? i dont drive it hard at all, actually i usually try to keep the rpm's quite low. any sugestions?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
are you using the a/c when you're driving?hills?stop and go traffic? i4 or v6? overall mileage?

in my car I usually get about 260-300 per fill 13-15 gal fill up (18 gal tank). that's v6 atx with usually very short city trips.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
are you using the a/c when you're driving?hills?stop and go traffic? i4 or v6? overall mileage?

[/b]
Those are the most important factors, please mention these details. Its not unusual to get horrible gas mileage while the engine is breaking in.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
so i just looked at the owners manual and it says the fuel tank is 18 gallons and when i fill it up i get ~ 300 miles to the tank. that equates to about 17 miles a gallon. why is it so bad??? i dont drive it hard at all, actually i usually try to keep the rpm's quite low. any sugestions?
[/b]
do yourself a favor and figure it out yourself...damn newbie section is "flame free" or this would be more fun.

Next time you get gas reset your trip...then the time after that when you get gas look at how many gallons you ACTUALLY put into the car...only an idiot would figure it the way you are. remember don't figure it off a half tank...run it until the light is on when you figure it out. my guess is that you are only using 16 or 16.5 gallons and getting 350 or so miles....which makes a difference

·
Registered
26 Posts
I picked up an '05 V6 6spd ATX hatch few months ago, live in So Fla, flat terrain but A/C always on. Seem to avg about 20 general driving, 22 on short trips, and just got 26 on a 350 mi highway run upstate with cruise set at 70-80.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
[/b]
You did your math on 18 gallons. Are you putting 18 gallons in your tank? No way in hell unless you ran it completely out of gas first.

The reserve on this car is huge. You could probably drive over 100 highway miles with the light on if you wanted. If you run your car until the light comes on you can put somewhere between 14 and 15 gallons in there (give or take depending on the car). If you're getting 300 miles to the tank and filling when the light comes on you're getting somewhere between 20 and 22mpg, not 17. That's a huge difference of some 25% more than you think you're getting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've had my '05 V6 6spd ATX hatch since August. Usually get around 22 mpg. This weekend I drained two full tanks with the cruise set to about 84 mph and got 29 mpg on the way there with a tail wind and 27 mpg on the way back with a head wind.

Anyway, besides bragging about my fuel economy, I'm pointing out that there's no way you should be getting almost half of what this car can do on a good day. Especially if you're driving an i4.

Also, what octane are you putting in? This car has been shown to perform dramatically different with a lower octane.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
sigma & gator are right on. before you get worked up run a couple tanks through your car and track actual miles driven against the amount of fuel you put it. for control, try to tank up at the same station & don't overfill.

i'm sure your MPG aren't that bad. shit, i'm getting 27-28 HWY on the speed6, with 22 in the city. your M6, I4/V6 will definitely be better than that. my M6s 5 door gets about 32 HWY and 25 city.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I could be wrong here...and I'm sure I will get corrected too....but hhhhhhhh if you have an MTX it is possible that you are shifting too low an rpm and your engine is "chugging." If it is chuggin you are doing nothing but wasting your gas and money...shifting at about 2500-3000 seems about right on my car... I get 10.65 kms/L...which is about 25.8 mi/gal...highway driving

please correct me if I am wrong folks....still learning

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You did your math on 18 gallons. Are you putting 18 gallons in your tank? No way in hell unless you ran it completely out of gas first.

The reserve on this car is huge. You could probably drive over 100 highway miles with the light on if you wanted. If you run your car until the light comes on you can put somewhere between 14 and 15 gallons in there (give or take depending on the car). If you're getting 300 miles to the tank and filling when the light comes on you're getting somewhere between 20 and 22mpg, not 17. That's a huge difference of some 25% more than you think you're getting.
[/b]
my bad...that's exactly what is happening sorry i didnt think it all the way through b4 i posted. i had no idea the reserve in our tanks was so much. Thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
my bad...that's exactly what is happening sorry i didnt think it all the way through b4 i posted. i had no idea the reserve in our tanks was so much. Thanks for all the replys.
[/b]
Simple solution - don't worry about miles per tank. Look at MPG.

When you fill up, note the miles travelled and the amount of gas you pump into the tank. Divide the miles by the gas used and that's your mpg. Do this every fill up and average it out after 10 fills and you can figure your overall MPG. If you want, you can also track by type of mileage - mostly city vs mostly highway; mixed driving city/highway; etc.

It's the only way to get a true MPG for your car.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

The reserve on this car is huge. You could probably drive over 100 highway miles with the light on if you wanted. If you run your car until the light comes on you can put somewhere between 14 and 15 gallons in there (give or take depending on the car). If you're getting 300 miles to the tank and filling when the light comes on you're getting somewhere between 20 and 22mpg, not 17. That's a huge difference of some 25% more than you think you're getting. [/b]
how big is it exactly?

·
Registered
46 Posts
HAHA! I loved this thread. I bought my 04 6s ATX a month ago and commute 500+ miles a week. I noticed that initially I had really crumby mpg (esp. compared to my civic I had b4 it) but it got better as I got used to the car. As I said I had a civic which was AWEFULLY performance-wise so when I got in the 6 I mashed the pedal everywhere I went, had the a/c on... the whole bit. Now that I'm used to the car and drive faily normal again, and used the a/c prob 3 or 4 days a week, I'm getting about 22mpg (mostly highway). Welcome to owning a bigger car i guess!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ya it is a heavy car ; a whole 50 kilos heavier than my fully loaded Cobra (shock) . Then there,s all those other factors about what speed you drive in the city / hwy , shifting points , mashing the pedal for nothing , air in tires , break in period , etc .

I find it funny you call it a BIG reserve , damn this frickin light comes on when it's way above the 'E' ! It's more like a warning that you're about to reach 'E' in like a day or two , as if we weren't able to look at the frickin gauge like a normal person ! now a real reserve that I've seen on older cars , is one that lights up when it touches the 'E' (not before) and let's you drive another @ 60 miles as indicated in the owner's manual and in real life ., when the needle is far below the 'E' .

I just passed the 7,000 kilometers on the odometer and I'm starting to see an increase in mileage .... but I drive 80 km/h in city & 120 klics hwy like it was meant to be .... so I don't expect to get it's best mileage .... then again who cares I'm 12 minutes away from work with a 50/50 city/hwy distance :)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I usually reset my trip odometer when fueling and divide the miles on it by the gallons I put in.

The last time, it came up to 16mpg on my 6i. I drive 3 miles to work and 3 miles home though, and did some long idling with the AC on, so that's to be expected.

I did my first highway trip this past weekend. I drove 60 miles around town on my tank, then to Richmond from Baltimore, about 160 miles. Anyway, I got 250 miles out of a half tank, or about 26mpg. This was at 80 or more the whole way there, getting stuck in 0-10mph traffic for about 5 miles, and AC blasting the entire time. Not bad!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
16 Participants
LapisLazuli6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing