Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Mazda 6, 2.3. I just got this car recently and it is in really good shape and well cared for. I Just started noticing that sometimes when I am turning right the horn chirps three times and the dash lights flicker. I Swear to God this is really happening and that I'm not crazy or trying to waste people's time here.

Anyone have a clue what the hell could cause this?

I took it to a parts store and had the battery and charging system fully tested. It is 100% A OK.

I popped the hood and did a wiggle test on the wires I could see and checked the battery connections. I started the car and turned the wheel. Can't replicate it with the car just sitting there.

From here I don't even know where to begin to try to figure this out.
:frown2:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Best bet is to look at the steering wheel itself. Horn contacts may be loose.. Flickering of dash light should not be related to horn, the car may have an electrical issue somewhere.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hmmm ... Going to have to get a video of this....

So I can keep laughing...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just cant seem to replicate the problem. I move the wheel all around, go over bumps in the road, Pound on the wheel, push the horn, etc....Im not even certain at this point if turning right even had anything to do with it. Frustrating as hell. I don't know how the F I am ever gonna get this fixed by me or anybody else if the problem can't be replicated or if any cause and effect/pattern can't be established. I guess i just wait until its doing it all the time. Disappointed the forum hasnt turned up anybody who has had this happen before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will echo the previously mentioned contacts in the steering wheel itself, but also drop the knee bolster and check the horn trigger wire in the steering column. It's a negative wire, so if it is touching a ground source, it will trigger the horn to honk. The wire is purple/white.

So potentially, when you are turning, the wire in the loom going up to the steering wheel may be contacting some type of ground source up there. Check the wire for any exposed insulation that could be leading to the issue.

The horn wire also goes to the BCM in the drivers kick panel; less likely to be the same thing, but just giving you the info.

·
Rally Racer
1,761 Posts
I just cant seem to replicate the problem. I move the wheel all around, go over bumps in the road, Pound on the wheel, push the horn, etc....Im not even certain at this point if turning right even had anything to do with it. Frustrating as hell. I don't know how the F I am ever gonna get this fixed by me or anybody else if the problem can't be replicated or if any cause and effect/pattern can't be established. I guess i just wait until its doing it all the time. Disappointed the forum hasnt turned up anybody who has had this happen before.
Leave it to Waughoo to come up with a completely viable reason, powerful brain on that one.
I am going to have to mention the elephant in the room here by saying it but...could it be in your head? I understand no one like to hear the possibility of possible insanity, least of all on a Friday morning (unless it gets you a 3-day weekend) but just saying...
:nerd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
DrFeelGood
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing