Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, my knowledge about electrical components is very limited for now, I'm not at that module at school yet (I got my paint prep exam on Tuesday)

Copy/paste of the specs:
Two Pole Induction Motor @ 3400 RPM
Oil Lubricated Direct Drive Pump
115V, 60Hz, 15 Amps
5.1 SCFM @ 40 PSI
4.1 SCFM @ 90 PSI
Maximum Pressure: 125 PSI
75% Duty Cycle
3.0 Peak HP / 1.3 Running HP
5 Gallon Twin Stack Air Tanks
Cast Iron Cylinder
Thermal Overload Protection
High Flow Regulator
Tank and Outlet Pressure Gauges
Dual Quick Connect Coupler

If I hook this up using a converter, would the alternator be able to make this baby work wiuthout damage to the car? or am I better filling it up on an outlet and use whatever air I got until the next fill up?

I'm leaving for 5 weeks for work, and would be fun to be able to put this in the back of the wagon and able to do some airbrush anywhere I want. :lol:

thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sounds like what you have is an workshop style compressor that you would have in your garage? The problem I see with that is you will need an inverter that can put out at least 1800 watts, which requires direct wiring to the battery and alternator and will run between $200 and $300, plus the added weight of the unit itself, plus the sound of it running.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. Will let go off the idea, my inverter only does 100w, bought it for the laptop and the fm transmitter.

Yeah, it's a small workshop compressor, but not big enough for the heavy tools. I use it for airbrushing and nailgun. Doesn't give enough air for a cut off tool.

Sound isn't so bad, I use it inside the house. Weights less than my golden retriever :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts