Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading an article about the new 2007 camry, they said the grille is now in front and just below the hood, which makes it an easy break & enter access point.

So, I just realized the 6 has a huge weakness as well in this area. Just put a pry bar and crack the grille, then slide your hand underneath and you can pop the hood open. From there, remove power from the battery and the alarm gets disabled.

I know, probably bad to be advertising this to thieves, but just curious if anyone had their 6 broken into? Maybe a good mod would be a hood pin to trigger the alarm if opened.

I know earlier generation civics had this issue as well.

Maybe I'll look into doing a hood pin mod unless someone has already done it. As far as I know, the hood opening does not trigger the alarm.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
The hood opening DOES trigger the factory alarm.

Try this out. Pop open your hood, and latch it but don't close it all the way. Then press the lock button. It'll lock the doors etc, but usually when you press the lock button twice and everything is locked, the horn will beep. With the hood not latched all the way, the horn does not beep.

I've got an aftermarket alarm system (Viper 791xv) and they installed a little "spring loaded" mechanism that will detect if the hood is opened. Good thing to have, and on top of that, it pages me w/ the remote if someones messing with it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yeah, you can't open anything on this car without it honking at you. If the hood isn't shut, it won't arm. If the trunk isn't shut, it won't arm. Another little experiment...leave a window open when you lock it with the remote. Then reach in and manually flip one of the locks to unlocked. Your car won't like it ;-)

This car has one of the better factory setups that I have seen as well as being one of the more thorough ones.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Agreed, but what I think's freaking REDICULOUS is that, the factory alarm only goes off it a door is opened. Meaning someone can break your glass and... no alarm. But there is the option of upgrading the shock sensor on it, never wanted to mess w/ that though.

Plus, they could've used something different than the damn horn honking. Something like a chirp, like other cars... but noooo, ours has to be a loud freakin honk. Well, anyone stock rather :D Mine's a nice little chirp now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts