Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the deal- I'm really, really looking at getting a mazdaspeed 3 or 6 but am concerned about the engine/trany on these cars. i know this is a place that is PRO mazda but I'm hoping you all can be honest in your assessments. Are there known problems with these engines or trany's? PLEASE Help me out guys.

·
Registered
693 Posts
So far my speed 6 has been solid. Havent heard of many tranny issues. I also owned a mazda 3 not the mazdaspeed but the trany was fine with the exception of 3rd gear which a bunch of the guys running alot of power would mess up the tranny.

Like most cars if you take them way out of spec you need to up grade..

·
Registered
440 Posts
So far my speed 6 has been solid. Havent heard of many tranny issues. I also owned a mazda 3 not the mazdaspeed but the trany was fine with the exception of 3rd gear which a bunch of the guys running alot of power would mess up the tranny.

Like most cars if you take them way out of spec you need to up grade..
[/b]
Read any forum where the cars have manual trannys and you'll find complaints basically.

The Honda Civic SI 6 speed seems to have issues according to some folks and so does the Speed6, beat anything enough and it will break.

·
Registered
778 Posts
No problems here. All of my mazda's have been extremely reliable even with abuse and aftermarket parts. I'm not sure about the regular 6 but I know the 3 has been really high on the reliability side. I would check on autos.msn.com or consumer reports.

My personal experience with honda's is that I never feel like I'm being pushed to move forward. I have ridden in both turbo'd and supercharged honda's and they still feel really low on torque. Ok so they can rev higher but I would rather have the torque and horsepower in a much more usable range from 2500-5000rpm. People start to look at you funny when you drive by everywhere at 6K just cause that's when your engine starts to make decent power. Anyway my sig says most of that. For reliability, haven't heard any problems from friends. Well except 1 RSX breaking the timing chain tensioner and after dealership fixed it on the way home it jumped 4 teeth. $2K later it's up and running. But in general very reliable. However most of their cars run really high compression so if you want to supercharge/turbo it can be very difficult/expensive to do. I guess if you just plan to drive it either one is good. Just personal preference, purchase price, options would be the deciding factor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey man.. i just upgraded to a mazdaspeed6 from a GSR. So far no tranny issues. Heavy clutch and notchy shifting. The only downside to the speed6 is that the shifting isn't as silky smooth as hondas (especially the TL), but you are putting alot more torque down. woohoo torque!

·
Registered
426 Posts
I find that www.carsurvey.org is a great site to get an idea of real world problems with cars...and how satisfied people are with the cars they're driving. You'll find that mazda3 for example has some VERY happy drivers.... :)

not too many mazdaspeed reports though... which means that everybody here has a job to do!!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I am taking the car to the dealership on monday for them to look at the transmission again, this will be my second trip for tranny issues. They could not duplicate the problem on my first trip.

Most of the cars that have had transmission issues are the earlier build dates. I'm only just now hitting 6K miles, but my car was built in 12/05 so I think I might have gotten a problem tranny.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went from an RSX-S to the MS6. The K20 was a little bit smoother- as was the transmission... WHEN it worked properly. The RSX-S transmission ground second and popped out/ground 3rd way too often. Common problem, dealer wouldn't fix it.

The other big issue with the RSX is the FWD w/ no LSD or traction control. The car just wasn't fun to drive in the rain. Get on the gas and traction was gone. Even the models with a front LSD suffer from torque steer.

As of yet, no grinds on the MS6 tranny.

The only thing I really miss about the RSX is the higher quality interior finish.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've owned an Acural CL and a Honda Civic. I also own(ed) 2 Mazdas. I would put Mazdas reliabilty up against Honda any day. The transmissions and engines on the Mazda's I've owned have been solid and performed flawlessly. My last Mazda had 53,000 miles on the original clutch. I'd say that you're very safe in going with Mazda.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Don't know what's scary from going from a Honda to a Mazda. ;)

My wife's 2005 Honda Odyssey has already had to have new wheel bearings up front and a new transmission. The dvd player has been replaced twice.
My MS6 is my second (err third if you count the Probe) Mazda and I have not experienced a problem at all similar to that in the Odyssey.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I don't have anything to contribute to your original question, but take into consideration the reasale value... its quite a change!

and on getting back on topic.... :)
[/b]
Meh, on resale value. Cars are depreciating assets. Get one, enjoy it, and drive it till the wheels fall off! :drive: :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I swithced from a NA b16 monster civic to the speed 6, and love it. Havent had any tranny issues yet. But that might have to do with the fact that Mazda put in tripple cone synchros on first and second. The only way to get that on a B motor at least was a revhard rebuild that cost me 5K. Then I still had issue with it popping out of second.
After having this car I dont see myself going back or at least missing the hondas. The one thing I woried about was turbo lag, and could I live with it. I can honestly tell you that the turbo kicks in long before the Vtech did. Might have to do with the high compression. But now it felt like I was driving around with Vtech lag. You wont regret it.

As for buying the Speed3 it might already be to late if you havnt put down a deposit. I know that Canada was only getting 250. Not sure about the US

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok, here is the deal- I'm really, really looking at getting a mazdaspeed 3 or 6 but am concerned about the engine/trany on these cars. i know this is a place that is PRO mazda but I'm hoping you all can be honest in your assessments. Are there known problems with these engines or trany's? PLEASE Help me out guys.
[/b]
If you are so scared, I wonder why you don't stick to Honda!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't have anything to contribute to your original question, but take into consideration the reasale value... its quite a change!

and on getting back on topic.... :)
[/b]
I really think that after the initial hit of driving it off the lot, the resale will be great for the mazdaspeed 6 in a few years, that is, if you were lucky enough to get one for 22000 or so brand new. I think that the resale will be good, now if you paid 28,500+for a sport, then yeah, you will be pretty screwed. You have to think, in a few years it is still going to be AWD and turboed, and pretty quick.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You should get a Toyota Camry, not the 07 one, the last gen one was solid... haha jkjk... I wouldnt worry about reliability problems of the mazdaspeed 6, if you want opinions on not just the engine and trans, they bodypanels, platform, everything is tried and tested, its been out on the market for 4 years, they had all the time to fix the little bugs/fixes. Its basically the same car except for the drivetrain. So what I would be looking for, if I were you are opinions on the drivetrain. Mazda backs their cars, unlike Toyota and Honda, the Honda transmission problems have been known for so decade long, and they still refuse to fix it and blame it on the customer.

One good example is that the RX-8 had an recall, to inspect ALL the RX-8s for engine failure due to low rpm driving, mainly autos that never see more than 4k rpm, the engine was made to be revved, so some engines failed obviously, and Mazda replaced them at no cost. You can go on and talk about why the engines failed, but the key is that they'll fix them up and wont put the blame on you!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I LOVE MY MAZDASPEED!! lol I had a 98 integra, and put it through some shit. Never broke. And with my mazda, i def do some spirited driving more often the putting around. And no problems up to date, and i have 12000 miles already. But as with any car, you need to take care of it! That is the main thing to having a car last you a while. The Evo I owned on the other hand......NEVER AGAIN. But anyway, good luck with your choice, it will obviously be a well thought decision.

Jay

·
Registered
156 Posts
Honda to Mazda? I have made that conversion, and have done it proudly. I came from a bolt on modded 1995 GS-R to a fully built 1997 Type-R #51 (that car was beat on, stock rings were going by 35k and stock valves going by 50k) and then a 1999 Accord with a Turboed 2.3L H series VTEC motor running a Super T70 and almost 17 psi of boost.
The miata started it all. It can sit there for weeks, months at times, and crank right up. Little lifter noise at start up after sitting, but runs just fine. (this is my 2nd miata by the way) I also have a 2006 Mazda3 and 2006 Mazdaspeed 6. The Speed 6 has been great. Have not modded it in any way... yet. No signs of problems thus far on either the 3 or the 6. I think the two cars offer more "fun" that the previous Hondas. Then again, there was something to be said for pulling up along side a Z06 in the 4 door Accord at 80 MPH and hazing the front wheels.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you are so scared, I wonder why you don't stick to Honda!
[/b]
yeah real helpfull answer there buddy...

Honda vs the Mazdaspeeds eh...well here's your problem both the MS6 and the MS3 demolish and honda out there, there are no hondas that can compare with them, I guess if you want to you can compare the Civic Si to the MS3 but the MS3 has so much more hp and torque it is insane, plus it is based on the 3 so I'm sure she handles superbly.

I've had one "engine related" problem and that is I put a tear in an engine mount at around 10000mi had it replaced under warenty and I've been driving the living hell out of it since with no issues.
(CP-e engine mounts are on their wayy so i will not have that problem in the future :D)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts