Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked out the Honda Element a few weeks back. I must say that when I heard Honda was going to build this horribly ugly box on wheels I was about as surprised as I could get. Here is Honda, a company so conservative it defines the term for the rest of the auto industry, making a ugly box on wheels, with waterproof interior, a fairly weak engine, and another MINI SUV that would cost nearly the exact same as their hot selling CR-V mini ute. I really didn't undersand what the Element could possibly offer that the CR-V couldn't already handle.

Let me also say this. I am about the biggest SUV hater there could ever be. I've never understood why people choose to drive a huge car that weighs 6,000lbs, guzzles down the gas, is hard to park, and handles like a pig.

Now, I LOVE the Honda Element. It is one of those cars that you don't understand why it is so fun. First, it is HUGE inside. The ceiling is high, and you could pile just about anything in back. The rear seat is up a little, theater style, and the rear legroom is the most I've ever experienced. At 6', I could almost stretch my legs out, that's how much room there is.

Then there is the sheer number of configurations inside. Fold up seats, take them out, fold 180degrees flat front to rear to form a bed. Nooks and crannies everywhere. Just unbelievable.

The driving was actually fun too. They only had an auto EX 4wd, but the 160hp 2.4L engine felt sprightly enough through town, but when floored to get up to freeway speeds you could tell it was a bit taxed. No worries, because this thing actually handles with zip. There is body lean, made to seem worse because you're so high up, but it is actually fun in the twisties.

The driving position was very good, if maybe a little low, but the gauges are easy to read and use, and something about the view out makes driving the car even neater. The windshield is very upright, and the side windows are huge. For some reason it seems so much more fun than a typical car view out. I don't know why, but it was just fun.

All in all, I would seriously consider buying this vehicle. Maybe its that I fit in that early 20's male category. Maybe it is just that it seems like it could do anything you'd ever want your car to do. I don't know. I just had a huge smile on my face the entire time, and I can't explain it. The ONLY other time I'd felt that way driving a car was when I was able to drive my 1st Miata about 6 years ago. I still want a Miata, and was planning to buy one soon. I'd NEVER thought in a million years I'd prefer a SUV over something like the Miata or the RSX, especially a SUV that is arguably lacking in the style department. But I find myself seriously wanting to buy an Element.

If you haven't gone to look yet, go do so. It is a neat, fun car, and i'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised when you experience it.

Lastly, am I nuts? When time comes to get a new car, would I be foolish to get an Element over a Miata I've been wanting for years and years? I autocross my RSX a little, but would just love to become more involved, and the Miata is the perfect car I'm looking for. Or do I go for the cool, beach/ski/camp/roadtrip cruiser that is the Element and forego the desire to autocross? Please tell me I'm nuts to be even considering a car like that ;)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Reading Topic: Honda Element

I checked out the Element at the car show up this way and I've got to say I relate to what your saying Jerome. When you see the thing and sit in it and play around with it, you develop a sincere respect for what Honda has done here. It really is cool.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Honda Element

It should not be removed. It should be here forever and show its disgrace for everyone to see.

This thread is bad. Hall-of-fame bad... ;)

Yikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts