Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Honda accord look promising...'

Well, not really.

It seems okay, but it's merely a bleak shadow of the 6. The design is not so aggressive or sleak, the interior is too Nissan-like (and I hate that fake wood!). And not to mention that the design looks like they've been studying the Mazda6 very close...

Honda does build good cars, though, and usually there's not much to complain about when it comes to performance.

In my opinion, the new accord doesn't stand a chance against the 6.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Our Accord is bloated, larger, and heavy. We will be getting the Euro Accord in the form of the Acura TSX next year though... but with the Acura nameplate comes a price premium. I think the Mazda6 is a much better alternative.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

While the picture shown is nicer than the US version, the body is still a bit awkward.

I sat in a new Accord, and the interior is second to none. The controls are set a bit high (as in previous accords) but are cleverly laid out and very ergonomic.

I drove a new Accord, the V6. *yawn*

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

A bit of Mazda6 at the front ánd the rear, a bit of BMW 7-serie from behind...nice car, but not very original

The rear looks a bit weird, like it was cut off:

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

That rear is ugly (viewed from the side).

It's like they said "hey guys, it's Friday afternoon. Let's wrap this up!"

And how they did it. <g>:sarc

·
Registered
334 Posts

yar the rear is quite ugly .. :/
rear lights sorta like the old camery one (b4 the face lift ver)
the side ver sorta like Alfa156... abit...

·
Registered
837 Posts

You guys in Europe are lucky to get the better looking Accord. Even though our Accord is lumpy and round, I must admit that the car drives excellent. I been an Accord driver for a long time and Honda has done it again.

Honda I4 with i-VTEC (new using DOHC instead of SOHC as with the older engine generation) is just smooth as silk. This mated to a very convience North American 5 speed automatic is too good to be true. It gives the car the launch needed in the city and still keep the car cruising at high speed at a very low quiet RPM.

Handling is still a bit soft but I guess they planned on that because it is a family car.

Build quality is just awesome even if it is build here in North American. The new door design is just amazing. It is so nicely sound when closing and opening. The new door handles are great to use.

Pricing is very agressively placed. For $29500CDN for fully loaded I4 version is great.

I was really impressed at the long extended test drive that I almost signed the paper. However, being a old Honda driver, I just feel to comfy at home with it. I needed a change. So I decided to wait for the M6 but that is month away and I am really itching for a new car.

I been going to test drive cars regularly so I am getting even antsier for a new car.

I recently stepped into an Audi A4. Wow!!!! What a beautiful car on the outside. The only disappointment for me exterior wise is the door handles. I wish they had used the pull handle like the M6 and new Accord. Beside that the lines are clean and everything fits nicely.

Stepping into the interior is beautiful. It is not as hitech design as the M6 but way better than the ho-hum Accord. The interior build quality is second to none. It blows away the interior of the BMW 3.25ix that I sat in prior. The red LEDs are nice but I would have love the VW purple-blue colour. Anyway, I am familar with the Audi/VW interior so I started the car for a short test drive. Unfortunately, the salesperson had a prior appointment so I could only do a short test.

The handling was just awesome. It was the Quattro so I need not to describe. The 1.8T I thought would have been crappy but holy hold on to my seat power. It has gobs of torque once you step on the gas. Unfortunately, I tested a 5 speed automatic because I have to buy one for other members of the family to use that do not know how to shift manually. There is lag to the transmission but very little noticeable when I kick it over to Tiptronic. The car takes off and slow down great. Taking corner at 50km/h+ made the salesperson giddy but I had to try the car. :)

I can't knock this car. It is awesome. The only thing is price. So I am going to check out the FrontTrak version with the CVT. I heard wonderful thing with the CVT and you can use Tiptronic which is divided into 6-speed. Since I have to buy an automatic, the Tiptronic can give me some fun eventhough putting it into automatic is much more efficient in handling the acceleration. Tiptronic is really only for mental feeling of sport and nothing else.

The price of the FrontTrak and CVT instead of Quattro and 5-speed Tiptronic is about $4000 less so it is reasonable. Mind you it is still more expensive than a V6 version M6 but it is an Audi. Beside, FWD is what most other car utilize so I am sure it will not be half bad.

If this car knocks me off my feet, I may have to sign. The old car is about to go and need to get some trade in value before I get none or very little.

Should I stay with the M6 which I have no idea if I would like the driving or not? Or should I just grab the A4.

Looking at the spec now, the new M6 with an I4 will only come with a 4 speed Sport Shift which in my mind now a day is one gear less than what is needed. If I jump to the V6 version then I can get the 5 speed Sport Shift but then I will be using a Ford engine. I know the I4 is an all new design by Mazda but I am pretty sure the V6 in North America is a modified Ford V6 which I don't think is too smooth or that powerful. And Ford in North America does not really have the respectability as any imports.

I fill you in more when I take that test drive in a FrontTrak A4.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I agree with most your thoughts about the cars you write about.

But do yourself a favour: wait until you've at least seen, touched and tested the 6. Otherwise you'll end up hating yourself for a long time!

There's not much to do to convince you - other than telling you that it's worth the wait!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

I'm kind of in the same boat as Hieppo. I to drive an Accord and love it. I've test driven the new Accord and think the steering is too soft. But the interior was VERY nice.

I also was thinking of buying an A4 or a 325xi. I'm fortunately not in a situation where I need a new car right away. I can wait.

About the V6 being a Ford engine, Hieppo, check out the link WankelWannabe posted. It's very encouraging.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Yes, I just finished reading that article. It is very encouraging. However, the main concensus seem to be noise, vibration and harshness. I just hope it is not unbearable. I mean the Honda was quiet and it did get noisy on the highway but that noise is road noise that I am sure is in all cars. Now how is it compared to other car. Hopefully, the M6 is not way more noisier.

Duratec V6 is relatively reliable but I have not seen anyone raving its power. And I have to consider the V6 only now since I found out that the I4 version only comes with a 4-speed automatic.

With a 4-speed, Mazda has to gear it to give you the acceleration needed for inner city driving and giving a tall final gear for highway driving. With this setup of so little gear, the shifting will be not as smooth and you will have to give up on some acceleration power for engine smoothness.

I did read, I think it was gasjs, that mentioned the gearing being a bit more for inner city driving. Therefore, you have to drive with a higher reving engine on the highway. I have enough of 3000rpm while on the highway. This is what I been driving with my 4-speed Accord at 120km/h. The new 2003 Accord when I tested it at at 120km/h ran with only 2500rpm. That is a whole 1000rpm lower. You know how much quieter that is? Never mind the better fuel consumption.

I hope the V6 is available the same time when the car comes out to the showroom. Because that is the only alternative for me. Mazda 6 GT - V6 is the only alternative with the big road we have. I know we have lots of traffic congestion but when it is congested, there is noise everywhere so M6 fits right in. However, when I do get a chance to cruise on the highway, I would only accept the utmost comfort.

·
Registered
211 Posts

O DAMN....in the states...we got an UGLY one....the one for europe is a bit nicer....but not all that great in and of itself.....

Whoever said it looks cutoff.....yea...ur right.....its tooo.....odd looking...not in a good way...:D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I bet it's a fine vehicle, though. And it's not THAT ugly, if you take the 6 out of the equation (and don't do that!) then this one would be up there among the ones to choose from.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Originally posted by hieppo

I mean the Honda was quiet and it did get noisy on the highway but that noise is road noise that I am sure is in all cars.  Now how is it compared to other car.  Hopefully, the M6 is not way more noisier.[/b]
I don't think the noise will be a big deal. Most people will not be able to tell the difference, between the Accord, etc. (Even the author of the article said that it wasn't much of a problem...he just couldn't find anything bad to say)
I think the ideal combination would be the 2.3L with manual transmission. It should be smoother than the Duratec and I bet it won't be much slower either.

Duratec V6 is relatively reliable but I have not seen anyone raving its power.  And I have to consider the V6 only now since I found out that the I4 version only comes with a 4-speed automatic.

With a 4-speed, Mazda has to gear it to give you the acceleration needed for inner city driving and giving a tall final gear for highway driving.  With this setup of so little gear, the shifting will be not as smooth and you will have to give up on some acceleration power for engine smoothness.

I did read, I think it was gasjs, that mentioned the gearing being a bit more for inner city driving.  Therefore, you have to drive with a higher reving engine on the highway.  I have enough of 3000rpm while on the highway.  This is what I been driving with my 4-speed Accord at 120km/h.  The new 2003 Accord when I tested it at at 120km/h ran with only 2500rpm.  That is a whole 1000rpm lower.  You know how much quieter that is?  Never mind the better fuel consumption.

I hope the V6 is available the same time when the car comes out to the showroom.  Because that is the only alternative for me.  Mazda 6 GT - V6 is the only alternative with the big road we have.  I know we have lots of traffic congestion but when it is congested, there is noise everywhere so M6 fits right in.  However, when I do get a chance to cruise on the highway, I would only accept the utmost comfort.[/b]
I've lived in Toronto...why do you need a V6 to do 10km/h in rush hour traffic! :p
I hate that city. If I still lived there my car's sole purpose would be for cruising on weekends, out of town where I can enjoy it!

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

My favorite rock band comes from Toronto.

SAGA, if you ever heard of them.

So...say no bad things about Toronto!!!!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts