Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I would necessarily do it. But in order to get more flexibility in the options, could one who lives in the U.S. order a car via Mazda Canada, getting EXACTLY the options they want, and then pick it up?

Hmmmmmmm.... ;)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: Hmmmm...can one orde via Canada, from the U.S.?

That's a no on the hmmmm...

All gauges would be in kilometers and degrees in celcius.

Numerous other little differences as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hmmmm...can one orde via Canada, from the U.S.?'

Actually you can.... Yes the speedometer will read in kilometeres but MPH is in smaller print under the larger KPH numbers,,, and most cars i know .. you can choose between ferenheit and celcius...and the push of a button and doggle between the two. There will be differences in emmision controls etc, which is better because they are more strict here in Canada.

But...... i would check with Customs and Excise CANADA (the border guys) because to check on the duties and taxes etc you would pay to get car over there.

A lot of "canadian version cars", such as the PT Cruiser, Ford T-Bird etc are bought by americans and driven over because the price is way cheaper and more selection here.. i see it all the time... Your doller carries a big punch to our tokens... so you are getting like a 1.55 to our 1 doller (check the exchange rate).....

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts

Prices:

By looking at the two Mazda Web sites.... the Canadian prices are $2-$3,000 US dollars CHEAPER for approx the same car!! I work it that a plain vanilla Mazda6 is only about $15,000US in Canada..... not bad eh.

Don

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

'A lot of Canadian version cars'?

The MPH is in small print to allow for vacationing and such in a MPH country.

For a car of permanent residence the MPH readings must be most prominent and the KPH the smaller.

·
Registered
51 Posts

A lot of manufacturers are seeing this as a problem. They make less $ selling the same car in Canadian market and try to increase the market share. But instead, the car goes south after being sold in Canada and reduce the market share of the US bound versions.

To discourage this pratice, Honda now void warranty on all new vehicle that's 2 years or newer that get transfer to USA from Canada. I don't know if Mazda has the same rules.

Anyhow, although Canadian MSRP looks good, consider this: Every province in Canada(except Alberta which is 7%) charges at least 10% sales tax on cars. Depending on how expensive your car is, your saving can be wiped out by taxes easily. Not counting various US tax, exam fees and metric convertion costs.

·
Registered
980 Posts

yeah xtrema has got a good point. We get killed with the taxes, I dont know about other provinces but here in Ontario its 15% which is quite a significant amount

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

15% here as well.

I neglected to mention that there is an outright law forbidding this type of transaction for the reason of harming each countries economy. Canada's would benefit from this while the US market would suffer. And this wouldn't just pan out it would grow and grow and would also most likely start it's own niche in society. The possibility of this is too high for governments to allow.

·
Registered
980 Posts

So what you are saying it is illegal? How come somebody told me that many people do this all the time? However it was somebody from Canada buying a car in the U.S.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Originally posted by chindo

So what you are saying it is illegal?  How come somebody told me that many people do this all the time?  However it was somebody from Canada buying a car in the U.S.[/b]
No it's not illegal and a lot of people still do border shopping. (much like we Canadians do when $1US = $1cdn) I've only heard Honda is doing something about it by discountinuing the warranty.

A lot of independent car dealers do it to. They just buy from the dealer, sell it to US and claim money back on GST and PST at year end.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Like Extrema said....Its legal... and if you do the your research you could get a deal... Mazda 6 is made in the good'ol USA,, therefore FREETRADE rules apply..., however,, you still have to worry about taxes on both sides of the border...

When the PT cruiser arrived in Canada.. there was a strong demand in the U.S. for it and people were buying it by the buckets and taking them over to U.S. Mostly people wanting to make a quick buck by selling them high in the states... What happened? Chrysler dealers caught on to this and forced a contract to the buyer that if they buy the car they can't ship it to the states for at least a year...

My neighbour works for Ford and sells canadian market cars to the U.S. all the time... when i see him i'll ask him what the low down is...

·
Registered
980 Posts

hmm paying U.S. and Canadian taxes would make the car's price go up very high. therefore, i dont think this would be a smart idea

·
Registered
105 Posts

remember, Americans don't have to pay the GST (that's the federal tax). It is 8%.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Originally posted by toluidine

remember, Americans don't have to pay the GST (that's the federal tax).  It is 8%.[/b]
Ontario's Provincial Sales Tax ("PST") is 8%, the federal Goods & Services Tax ("GST") is 7%,

·
Registered
980 Posts

I know that American's pay less taxes, however, when we cross the border we will have to pay Canadian taxes as well. Therefore, if one purchases a car from the states and bring it back in to Canada, that person will have to pay both countries taxes, making it not worthwhile.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Originally posted by chindo

I know that American's pay less taxes, however, when we cross the border we will have to pay Canadian taxes as well.  Therefore, if one purchases a car from the states and bring it back in to Canada, that person will have to pay both countries taxes, making it not worthwhile.[/b]
American residents do not have to pay the Federal Cdn sales tax known as GST. This is 7% but you would have to pay the provincial sales tax (8% in Ontario). Actually, I believe that you pay the GST but then you apply to the government and get a cheque back.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Originally posted by mazdamarla

Not that I would necessarily do it.  But in order to get more flexibility in the options, could one who lives in the U.S. order a car via Mazda Canada, getting EXACTLY the options they want, and then pick it up?  

Hmmmmmmm.... ;)[/b]
Why don't you just call a dealer in Windsor? I am sure that they deal with this sort of thing all of the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts

I believe that Windsor or Sarnia would be closer to MazdaMarla given that her location is Michigan.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts