Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen pics of Greddy's timer and it appears everything is harnessed except for maybe a ground and power, but for anyone who's installed HKS's timer how difficult is it? I've been able to install a S-AFC2 on a 2g Talon before so I'm not tooooo bad with electronics...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Find the ECU diagram that franchize posted and you should be fine with the install...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got it in the mail today and I'm slightly confused. Anyone who's installed an HKS turbo timer on a MS6 feel free to chime in. From what it looks like, your car can either match up and you just connect the harness, or you have to splice the 3 wires that come in the separate bag to the 3 loose wires on the unit? Pictures would have helped, but I don't want to go cutting my ignition wires before I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I thought a turbo timer wasn't necessary with the MS6, read somewhere that the turbo is both oil and watercooled, and the watercooling stays on after you turn the car off ?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I thought a turbo timer wasn't necessary with the MS6, read somewhere that the turbo is both oil and watercooled, and the watercooling stays on after you turn the car off ?
[/b]
Yeah, watercooling does stay on after you turn off the car. You can hear the pump running for a few minutes after turning off the car.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
There's an electric water pump?

Who comes up with this, and shares it as fact?

·
Registered
851 Posts
you'd be suprised at the stuff people say on here. makes me laugh...and then when you tell them their wrong they say they say their right and we don't know anything about cars.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah, watercooling does stay on after you turn off the car. You can hear the pump running for a few minutes after turning off the car.
[/b]
Hmm, I haven't heard any electric pump on mine running after shutting off. I heard a soft, barely audible high pitched buzz once, but that lasted only a few seconds, so I'm not sure that would be what you're talking about. It was probably something in the DI fuel system. Also, the factory Workshop Manual doesn't show any external water lines going to the turbo bearings, so any water jackets, if they're there, would be plumbed into the main cooling system, which is driven by the mechanical water pump. Are you quite certain about this electric pump?

On the other hand I tend to baby the car the last few minutes before I reach my destination, and also allow for some cool down time after I come to a stop before switching off. Maybe I've never shut it down while it was hot enough to trigger the pump, if there is one?

My old Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro did have a separate electric pump for it's turbo bearings. It had it's own set of coolant hoses running to and from the turbo, and was very noticeable when it was on, because it also switched on the main radiator cooling fan. This was additional protection since the turbo coolant was shared with the main cooling system, so any heat absorbed from the turbo by the coolant would be more quickly dumped by switching on the radiator cooling fan. Good intentioned passers-by would always tell me my car was still running because it was so audible.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I can deffinately hear something turn on and off several times when the car is off. It probably happened 6 or 7 times during the long nitrous install. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but given the technology Mazda put into this car, I wouldn't be suprized if it was an electric pump.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I can assure you it doesn't have an electric pump.

·
Registered
391 Posts
[/b]
Dude if you're talking about that day at Mohican when we were all standing around taking pictures and you asked if my car was still running, that was the fan!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Turbo timer may be nice to have. But I prefer to let the car idle whilst getting ready to leave the car like check windows, lights, putting windscreen shades, put away sunglass.etc.....,or whatever you can think of which may take some 20 to 30 secs, by that time I would've let the car idle long enough to shut it down :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
it's your second fuel pump under the hood that makes the noise

·
Registered
396 Posts
Dude if you're talking about that day at Mohican when we were all standing around taking pictures and you asked if my car was still running, that was the fan!
[/b]
No, it's not the fan. There is something that runs after I shut off my car. Not sure what it is. You heard when we did the electronic boost controller.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i guess noone really pays attention to what I type. it's your high pressure fuel pump next to the intercooler

·
Registered
396 Posts
i guess noone really pays attention to what I type. it's your high pressure fuel pump next to the intercooler
[/b]
Yay for you! Sorry I missed your post. It won't happen again. :sarc:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I take it no one has installed an HKS turbo timer, or any timer for that matter, on an MS6 and can assist as to how it's done?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Theres not a whole lot to it. Just match up the correct wires in the ignition harnesss. Chances are that you won't be able to use the keyless entry or request buttons while the timer is counting down. I plan to install an Apexi TT. We may not need them, but its for piece of mind. When i drive hard my turbo will glow bright red for up to 6 or 7 min, surely its not a good idea to turn it off that hot, electric pump or not...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts