Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I got the HKS/CP-E BOV/flange.

WTF is up with that c-clip? I went and bought a sears craftsmen c-clip pliers - seem nice - $25

But that goddamn ring is so strong I can't compress the friggin thing without it slipping off the pliers.

Anybody have any suggestions? I know I can't be the only one who's bitched and pissed about this.

Thanks in advance and don't give me the "search" line please.

·
Registered
440 Posts

WTF is up with that c-clip? I went and bought a sears craftsmen c-clip pliers - seem nice - $25

But that goddamn ring is so strong I can't compress the friggin thing without it slipping off the pliers.

Anybody have any suggestions? I know I can't be the only one who's bitched and pissed about this.

[/b]
Wrong size tips?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

[/b]

That's exactly the way it was for me..Just bitch/complain/cut yourself/bust your knuckles about 20 times, and you'll eventually get it.

You can take the body off the BOV to get a little more room to work, but there is no easy way to do it--the C-clip it just a PITA.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Lol, I wish I could show you how I did mine...

Ended up buying these wierd pliers, and dremeling the tips so they go into the holes on the c-clip.

I scratched the ^%$ out of my flange and BOV housing, really made me mad.

Then at the end, I said wait! I should take the housing off. 4 allen bolts and it comes off. First try I got the clip in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yes, remove the body of the bov with the four fasteners on the front. that gives you a ton of more room.

if the clip keeps slipping off, position it between the round base (the thing that's bolted to the intake plumbing) and the pliers. this will let you press down on the plier tips hard and not let the clip slip off the tips while compressing it.. once it's compressed enough, just slide it down into the mount and done.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running out of swear words - the damn thing keeps slipping off the pliers - F.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Also once it sits rouhgly in the groove. Use a punch to drive it in so slightly, just to seat it in properly.

·
Registered
322 Posts
OMG... Where was this thread three days ago?!?! The housing comes off? Grrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well... it's on there now. I'm going to try and find some polishing agent to get all the [email protected]#$% scratches out.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - so I got the BOV valve on and have a couple of comments to anybody attempting this install in the future (in no particular order - brain dump)

1) Don't try to use 90 degree angled c-clip pliers per CP-E's instructions - just use straight tips - you'll get more leverage and not have to deal with the clip slipping off - it's really not too bad to get it in

2) Take the housing off the BOV - you have to take it off anyways to convert the BOV to recirc. - leave it off until after you've installed the c-clip - however, installing the housing again is a bit of a challenge but definately doable - much easier than trying to install the c-clip with the housing in place

3) If you've already installed a CAI - just remove the battery to get to the lower recirc hose clamp - no need to remove the intake

4) Measure twice and cut once - the lower recirc hose that feeds back into the turbo - an inch seems to be a bit much

5) Once the BOV is installed use a punch to seat the c-clip in further - don't be afraid of gently whacking it a few times in different places to get it to seat - you'll hear it and see it once it does

6) If the vacuum line is hitting the intercooler cover, you can rotate the BOV slightly counter-clockwise to gain some more clearance - it's tight but it can be rotated a bit - probably best to line it up best as possible before you put the c-clip in though

7) The vacuum line coming from the engine is way longer than it needs to be - I trimmed off about 2 inches to help lessen the bend to the BOV

Overall, this took me about 30 minutes to do - quite easy actually.

Anyhow, hope this helps somebody, someday.

·
Registered
391 Posts
OMG... Where was this thread three days ago?!?! The housing comes off? Grrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well... it's on there now. I'm going to try and find some polishing agent to get all the [email protected]#$% scratches out.
[/b]
LOL

Instructions are your friend, man. ^_^ If you're running recirc you *have* to take the housing off anyway, since the BOV comes with the VTA attachment installed.

You are running recirc, right??

·
Registered
721 Posts
tips and tricks:

don't buy expensive c-ring pliers!
go buy a pair of cheap needle nose pliers (less than $10) and grind the tips down to the appropriate diameter. make sure to test them frequently so that they are really snug and won't slip. If you're careful enough you can notch them on the inside, ever so slightly, with a dremel so the ring has a spot to sit. also make sure you grind them so that the tips are parallel to each other when open. If you grind the tips to parallel when closed, they will not be perpendicular to the c-ring when open and will slip out.

prevent scratching your BOV!
Cover your BOV with a few layers of masking tape before you start or wrap the pliers with some electrical tape before you start or do both if you're really paranoid.

limit plier use!
once the clip is in the housing put away the pliers and press it down with a slotted screwdriver (wrapped in electrical tape of course). if you positioned the ring chamfered side up, like you're supposed to, it will find it's own way into the groove.

have fun!

·
Registered
332 Posts
this is the most frustrating thingi have ever done

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I just said this in the other thread about the HKS...

I have no idea why anyone bothers with this valve when there are so many other choices out there that are direct fit, and do not have snap rings. I'd spend $300+ on the SU/Turbosmart before I'd spend a $1 on that thing... You shouldn't need a special tool to install a BOV IMO...

That's just me though...

:)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just said this in the other thread about the HKS...

I have no idea why anyone bothers with this valve when there are so many other choices out there that are direct fit, and do not have snap rings. I'd spend $300+ on the SU/Turbosmart before I'd spend a $1 on that thing... You shouldn't need a special tool to install a BOV IMO...

That's just me though...

:)[/b]
+1 .

I love my SU/TS BOV.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I found the CP-E instructions after installing the whole thing...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts