Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jordan,

First off, thanks to CP-e for the great products! Now with me question. I have the HKS BoV Kit and installed and ran in Recirc for a good 4 months. Last weekend I decided to try VTA just for sh*ts and giggles. I observed a couple things, 1. The cars pulls like a beast! I have no idea why. 2. My boost spikes higher and then drops fast, yet still feels like it is pulling like a beast. 3. I get back-fires here and there, not the 'blip' from my cat, but a loud pop or bang. Now I know I'm running rich at my shifts and what not due to the calculated air not going back in yadda yadda.

I just want to know why the car pulls so much harder in VTA? I have a couple people tell me that it should pull harder in recirc and I kinda believe them. I think the issue may have been in my recirc hose leaking. I think I cut to much off per the instructions of the install and didn't get a good seal. I need info!!!! Help me!!!

-Chris

PS I called today and some lady took my information and said she would forward it to the R&D department. So ignore it if you can answer me here.

PPS If you do think it is a recirc hose issue, is there a way to get another one without going into back order with Mazda? Like could you guys fab me one or something? Just a thought.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Jordan,

First off, thanks to CP-e for the great products! Now with me question. I have the HKS BoV Kit and installed and ran in Recirc for a good 4 months. Last weekend I decided to try VTA just for sh*ts and giggles. I observed a couple things, 1. The cars pulls like a beast! I have no idea why. 2. My boost spikes higher and then drops fast, yet still feels like it is pulling like a beast. 3. I get back-fires here and there, not the 'blip' from my cat, but a loud pop or bang. Now I know I'm running rich at my shifts and what not due to the calculated air not going back in yadda yadda.

I just want to know why the car pulls so much harder in VTA? I have a couple people tell me that it should pull harder in recirc and I kinda believe them. I think the issue may have been in my recirc hose leaking. I think I cut to much off per the instructions of the install and didn't get a good seal. I need info!!!! Help me!!!

-Chris

PS I called today and some lady took my information and said she would forward it to the R&D department. So ignore it if you can answer me here.

PPS If you do think it is a recirc hose issue, is there a way to get another one without going into back order with Mazda? Like could you guys fab me one or something? Just a thought.
[/b]

I'm glad you like our products so far Chris!

You're right, when the BOV is working properly, it shouldn't affect the performance of the vehicle.

With that said, I'd be very suspicious of a car that does make more power while in VTA mode. What probably happened is that the BOV wasn't recirculating air fast enough, and caused the compressor wheel to stall to some degree. Then when you shift, it takes longer for the wheel to spin back up and create boost. This may explain why you don't get the same boost spike while recirculating that you did while in VTA operation.

But, you would only encounter this problem if there was a blockage in the recirc hose, or if the vacuum hose to the BOV was pinched or something. I would try reverting back to recirc mode and make sure the vacuum hose to the BOV isn't being pinched by something (the intercooler cover can do this if you're not careful) when you put it back on. Run the car, and see if it still feels soft compared to when you vent to atmo. If it does, let me know and we'll take the next step.

Even though VTA is fun, I strongly recommend against it unless the car is set up for it. Loud backfires can destroy exhaust components, and fuel rich mixtures in the cat can cause them to melt. The SPEED6 already has hot EGT's (on the order of 1500°F) and a rich mixture (under 10:1 air/fuel towards redline). I get the feeling you already know this, but I just want to be sure you understand what happens when you vent to the atmo.

Let me know how it goes boss.

Jordan

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad you like our products so far Chris!

You're right, when the BOV is working properly, it shouldn't affect the performance of the vehicle.

With that said, I'd be very suspicious of a car that does make more power while in VTA mode. What probably happened is that the BOV wasn't recirculating air fast enough, and caused the compressor wheel to stall to some degree. Then when you shift, it takes longer for the wheel to spin back up and create boost. This may explain why you don't get the same boost spike while recirculating that you did while in VTA operation.

But, you would only encounter this problem if there was a blockage in the recirc hose, or if the vacuum hose to the BOV was pinched or something. I would try reverting back to recirc mode and make sure the vacuum hose to the BOV isn't being pinched by something (the intercooler cover can do this if you're not careful) when you put it back on. Run the car, and see if it still feels soft compared to when you vent to atmo. If it does, let me know and we'll take the next step.

Even though VTA is fun, I strongly recommend against it unless the car is set up for it. Loud backfires can destroy exhaust components, and fuel rich mixtures in the cat can cause them to melt. The SPEED6 already has hot EGT's (on the order of 1500°F) and a rich mixture (under 10:1 air/fuel towards redline). I get the feeling you already know this, but I just want to be sure you understand what happens when you vent to the atmo.

Let me know how it goes boss.
Jordan
[/b]
Jordan,

Did a quick check under the hood. Vacuum hose is clearing the IC cover well, no pinches or holes (that I can see). I do remember that my recirc hose was 'kinking' when it was routed under my CAI (which is also a CP-e, but my sig gives that away). Also, I'm not sure if you read it or not, but when I cut the hose I think I 'may' have cut a tad to much off. I really don't know what to do. BLAH! I plan on putting the car back in recirc this weekend.

My only fear is that my o-ring under the HKS may have ripped as I turn the BoV slightly. I had a vac hose rubbing when I first put the BoV on. I've since taken care of that and replace that hose.

Rambled a bit, sorry.

-Chris

·
Registered
886 Posts
Jordan,

Did a quick check under the hood. Vacuum hose is clearing the IC cover well, no pinches or holes (that I can see). I do remember that my recirc hose was 'kinking' when it was routed under my CAI (which is also a CP-e, but my sig gives that away). Also, I'm not sure if you read it or not, but when I cut the hose I think I 'may' have cut a tad to much off. I really don't know what to do. BLAH! I plan on putting the car back in recirc this weekend.

My only fear is that my o-ring under the HKS may have ripped as I turn the BoV slightly. I had a vac hose rubbing when I first put the BoV on. I've since taken care of that and replace that hose.

Rambled a bit, sorry.

-Chris
[/b]

Yup, that would do it. If your recirc hose gets kinked, it may be stopped up enough to stall the impeller. Let me know if this was the problem when you switch back to recirc.

Now about the hose and o-ring. It's hard to tell over the internet if the hose and o-ring are correct or not, so a picture would be a great help if you can snap one. If you're pretty sure both are toast, then I'll start looking around to see if I can source a replacement for you.

Jordan

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got her back in recirc... and of course, not pulling as hard as VTA, but no back fires! Anyway, hose is still kinking ever so slightly trying to path around that CAI. I'll snap a picture Saturday morning and post it up, thanks Jordan.

-Chris

PS O-ring is good, it's all in the recirc I believe.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Just a suggestion.

When I did my BOV, instead of using the stock recir- hose, I got one with the "S" shaped hose with the same diameter from an auto shop, and it seems to me it routes around the CAI better in that sense. May give that a try.

BTW, I have both of the CP-E's as well.

Sorry if I am trespassing in the territorry of the CP-E'S governed area :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
S Hose eh? I might have to try that out. Is there something specific I need to ask for?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Yes, it is in "S" shape and you measure and cut where the S will just goes around the CAI's breather hose. Just take along your stock hose ( if possible go to the shop with another car due to this hose is off your MS6 :) ) and get the one with exact or close in diameter wise.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if they make a rubber hose that can handle the heat of the engine bay and is 1" in diameter. Or would that not be a good thing to try?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jordan,

Here are those pics as promised. I went ahead and went to a PepBoys and fabbed up my own recirc tube... tell me what you think.

This is the stock hosing, as you can see, one side it jagged cut! Go me and crappy cutters.

The next pictures are of the new hose installed and the clearances.

An over-view of the bay, no rubbed hoses or anything.

Where is my FMIC?!?!?!?!? As you can see I need one!

There it is, tell me what you think.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Jordan,

Here are those pics as promised. I went ahead and went to a PepBoys and fabbed up my own recirc tube... tell me what you think.
This is the stock hosing, as you can see, one side it jagged cut! Go me and crappy cutters.

The next pictures are of the new hose installed and the clearances.

An over-view of the bay, no rubbed hoses or anything.

Where is my FMIC?!?!?!?!? As you can see I need one!

There it is, tell me what you think.
[/b]

Judging by the pictures, it looks like you installed everything correctly. I think the recirc hose would need more of a restriction to cause any compressor surge.

Even though I can't tell you why it runs stronger in VTA, I suggest you stick to recirc if you can. I know VTA is a lot more fun, but your engine and exhaust may not tolerate it for very long.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help Spooner :(

Jordan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts