Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many know, the 6/Atenza was just released here in the US. An aftermarket hitch is not currently available, and no company I've spoken with has one in development.

Mazda does not include one in their options brochure.

I've seen a couple posts that lead me to believe one may be available in Europe or Australia. Can anyone confirm this for me?

If one does exist (please, oh please) I have a few questions:

1. Where can I get it? Phone, address - any contact and price info would be appreciated. No worries on the conversion - I can do that.
2. Does it REQUIRE cutting any bodywork, or could spacers be installed to allow proper clearance. I understand the problems associated with doing something like this - is it possible?
3. Is it a receiver-type hitch or hitch-ball only? Below is an illustration of the type of design I'm hoping for:

Any information is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hitch - Towing Equitment'

Originally posted by Ruefus

As many know, the 6/Atenza was just released here in the US.  An aftermarket hitch is not currently available, and no company I've spoken with has one in development.  

Mazda does not include one in their options brochure.

I've seen a couple posts that lead me to believe one may be available in Europe or Australia.  Can anyone confirm this for me?  

If one does exist (please, oh please) I have a few questions:

1.  Where can I get it?  Phone, address - any contact and price info would be appreciated.  No worries on the conversion - I can do that.
2.  Does it REQUIRE cutting any bodywork, or could spacers be installed to allow proper clearance.  I understand the problems associated with doing something like this - is it possible?
3.  Is it a receiver-type hitch or hitch-ball only?  Below is an illustration of the type of design I'm hoping for:  

Any information is greatly appreciated.[/b]
Yes, it exists. I have one on my car...

1. It's available here in Sweden, parts number GJ6A V3 920. Guess you could get it also. There are other versions also, GJ5A V3 920 (for the sport kombi. I guess your dealer could help you, or you can contact a dealer in Europe (any I guess) who can help you.
2. Yes it does mean a bit cutting in the rear bumper plastics. I don't think it can be done in any other way.
3. The ones I speak of are the ball type. Dunno if it's even possible to use the receiver type. Frankly I don't think so.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Reading Topic: Hitch - Towing Equitment

Hi!

The bit cutting in the rear bumper it's when you have sport package with body kit or without body kit??

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

According to the owner's manual for my 6 ( 6s AT, w/v6); it says no towing whatsoever. Better check with your local dealer, attaching a hitch to it with something like that in the owner's manual may ruin your warranty. Even if it doesn't, any engine, transmission, or suspension problems that may develop in the future they will probably blame on towing (regardless of if its true) and refuse to pay for its repair, so I'd think twice if I were you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I just got a message back from Mazda regarding the European availability of a hitch.

The plainly stated that although it IS a Mazda part, it isn't a Mazda USA part and thus would be considered aftermarket. It may cause warranty issues should something arise.

Personally, I'm going to use it for a bike rack and nothing else. I'm going to be up front with the dealer about that fact as well. May not do me any good - but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Once again, I'm sounding like an asshole, but I can't think of many cars less suited to towing than the 6. Why did you buy this car if you want to tow?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

- You need to cut even it you don't have the sports package. Steve do not have it and had to cut.

- Why would the 6 be worse out for towing then any other car? It has plenty of power for it. Can't see why it should be worse then any Volvo, Nissan or Chevrolet?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Ok, but I will wait, I'm sure hidden hitch or draw tite will made a hitch for the 6 without cutting, maybe not for body kit but without. In this case I have a Protege 2.0L and I tow a trailer tent with it and this for 2 years now and my warranty never affect and my dealer told me go for it, until 1500lbs no problem for towing and no problem with the car also. So with the 6 I'm sure we have the same thing!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You never know what those companys will do.

None have plans to create one. They could make one, or they could not.

Just ask a Passat owner - The new body has been out for a long time and to my knowledge, none of the hitch companies have developed one.

·
Registered
11 Posts

I talk to a man for hidden hitch, the hitch it's done but, they want to test fit on the car. And draw tite told me it will ready for begin of spring...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Hitch - Towing Equitment'

Originally posted by Hiro11

I can't think of many cars less suited to towing than the 6.  Why did you buy this car if you want to tow?[/b]

I have an Australian 2.3L M6 Hatch Activematic with a dealer-fitted towbar and towed about 1000kg worth of bricks in a box trailer a distance of 300kms. I agree that the M6 at first seems an odd choice for that task but I had no choice and was pleasantly surpised how well it performed it. It was able to maintain 100km/h easily, even going up hills. It just dropped down a gear when it needed some extra grunt and the rest of the time of even ground it just cruised in top gear. No worries.

I think the perceptions of towing in a FWD car are not well founded. I suggest you try it and will be pleasantly surprised.

:)

·
Registered
174 Posts

My current car is a 1994 Toyota Camry V6. FWD of course, less hp (and torque?) than the '6. I've towed a 5' x 8' UHaul trailer full of furniture/boxes back and forth 300 miles at a time, no problem at all on the Camry.

Would the '6 be less capable than that?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Before towing anything with the Mazda 6, better check page 4-10, I scanned the page straight from the owner's manual:

http://angelfire.com/de2/diesel2/towing_4-10.jpg

Even attaching a hitch may affect the warranty.

Why tow with the 6? Because it is still a car, and it's like everyone else said...if you are like me, live in Florida and would like to go jetskiing on the weekend, what are you supposed to do? Get ripped off at the dock by renting one? Or put 220HP to good use and tow a 300lb jetski with it. Towing with the 6 shouldn't be any different than any other vehicle. It should have a max load rating, and hitches offered for it. If you stay within the load rating it should not affect the warranty. What I don't understand about the 6 is that it's load rating is 0. The only thing I can think of is that the fancy suspension in the back may not leave anywhere safe to attach a hitch to.

·
Registered
322 Posts

The jetski would probably fit in the trunk, or at least the hatch ;) I mean we're talking about some serious room in the M6 ;)

I'll check my Aussie manual in a sec to see what it says about towing :)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

Rainchild....well thats an idea, if you come on over and help me lift it in we can give it a try :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts