Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the before and after pics:

I hope the harness will support the 80w. Has anyone had any problems?
I got my bulbs off ebay. Also, does anyone know what the small bulbs in the high beam is for? See image:

What can I replace them with or can I just take them out?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'HIPER Industries Plasma White 80W Installed'

Do these parking lights ever turn off? It looks bad when paired with the white lights...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Reading Topic: HIPER Industries Plasma White 80W Installed

Careful... the 80W will defintely run hotter and could damage your wiring.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Just currious, are you trying to compare brightness or whiteness? Were the pictures taken on a digital camera? Sorry for the questions, it's the engineer in me that wants to ask.

I hope to get a better look at the headlamp assemblies and wiring when I replace the bulbs (currently waiting on a few Osram bulbs that are backordered). From just cursory looks, there appears to be quite a bit of plastic. The use of overwattage bulbs in plastic housings worries me a bit. Anyone know what guage wire Mazda is using for the headlamps? I'll take a look when I take it all apart, but if someone already knows...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Yeah, if you knew what stops you used for each of those images, it would be a real help in determining brightness. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't sweat it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well lo and behold this morning my passengerside headlights would not turn on probably because of a burned out harness. Scheduled for warranty work on monday...

Does anyone know if the H1 lights can be tested with just the clip plugged in but not mounted inside the headlight case? Stick with 55W bulbs...

I used a digital camera and I was just trying to show the difference in color and the white bulbs seem to be brighter. I've ordered some Phillips vision plus bulbs (55W).

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Gotcha, most consumer digital camera don't allow manual operation, much to my chagrin.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

Gotcha, most consumer digital camera don't allow manual operation, much to my chagrin.[/b]
the canon a40 isn't too bad in this respect. i got it because of its manual features, actually.

nick

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

I've got and EOS 10s, and it allows for fully manual operation. It also uses film. =)

·
Registered
49 Posts

Originally posted by liteswap

Careful...  the 80W will defintely run hotter and could damage your wiring.[/b]
The 55W standard bulb should pull about 4.5 amps at 12V, the 80W hi-output bulbs will pull about 6.6 amps at 12V. Thats almost a 50% load increase on existing wiring/ headlite relays. If someone has the factory service manual wiring diagram, it should show wire gage from the bulb, all the way to the fuse box for that circuit. Not sure if I would risk potential damage without knowing how much load the wiring can safely handle. Sometimes you can take an educated guess based on the size of the fuse for that circuit. If the headlite circuit has a 20amp fuse, your wires could probably handle half that current full time without an issue. You also have to factor in, in-rush current at first circuit lighting where you might get a momentary surge or spike in amperage draw. If the dealer suspects you where running too hi an output bulb that caused something to malfunction, and he wants to be a dick, he could cause you warranty issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Actually, the bulb did not burn out my wiring but somethin was defective. I'm returning it for a refund. I use a canon powershot s40 which has a manual mode.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Originally posted by soulbelly

Originally posted by Phrosted

Gotcha, most consumer digital camera don't allow manual operation, much to my chagrin.[/b]
the canon a40 isn't too bad in this respect. i got it because of its manual features, actually.

nick[/b][/quote]

Agree - and the Canon G3 is even better but that is in the Prosumer class of features and unfortunately price. But I love it anyway... :)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Off topic as usuall :) But we have an Olympus Camedia 2040Z and with the proper light, the pics are really really good. And thats with a 2mpix camera. Note that many mpixels does not realy equal good quality photos. The 2040Z costed like 500$ when we bought it.

Watch out for Agfa digicams... POS!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: HIPER Industries Plasma White 80W Installed

yr wiring is gunna melt with the 80w... i went with the piaa extreme white plus. 55w=>110w whatever that means. but they told me its safe and it wont melt anything. 80 bucks tho :(

·
Registered
613 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: HIPER Industries Plasma White 80W Installed

Where can I get PIAA extreme white bulb?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts