Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
It's photoshopped. Look at the outline of the red needle on the RPM gauge at 4500.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ha! :bsflag:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh it's not photoshopped a buddy of mine (he is in the german M6 forum) took the picture on the autobahn while he was going downhill.

Chris

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Tell him to take a clearer pic next time. Cause that picture looks photoshopped!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Originally posted by 6iX SPEED@Aug 2 2005, 05:45 AM
Tell him to take a clearer pic next time.  Cause that picture looks photoshopped!
[snapback]474054[/snapback]​
Considering he is going 148mph, I can understand slighty why the picture may be just a bit shaky ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
that could have beed because the revs needle moved fast from 4 to 7 and a cheap camera blurred the pic dosent seem photoshop at all!!! i took a loot at it in photoshop CS2 and bluw it up, no evidence of pixel alteration. dont know how that red line got there.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Not only does it look photoshopped (as was said you can clearly see where the needle was removed from 4500RPM), but there's just no way a 2.0 can go that fast.

That's almost the same top speed (within 5mph) as a 300hp 350Z, that not only has twice the power but a better drag coefficient.

The Top Speed of the 2.0 Manual is Drag-Limited at 128mph. Going downhill doesn't change it, and no amount of tailwind is going to push you that much over it.

The Top Speed of the 2.3 with 23 more horsepower is only a little bit higher at 133mph.

Even a US-spec 3.0 would be damned lucky to break 140mph with a strong tailwind, let alone get to almost 150.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back in Germany i had quite a few cars and even the small cars have a good topspeed.

I just wanne give you guys some numbers...

1992 VW Polo 1.3I 75HP 190k/mh = 117mph

1989 Honda Civic 1.6I 110HP 210k/mh = 129mph

1992 Toyota MR2 2.0I 156HP 242k/mh = 149mph

You have to consider the M6 is sold with 6 speed manual in Europe. This EU spec M6 is may be not that fast on the quarter mile but the top speed is way better and is only stoped by the rev limiter.

Chris

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
You have to consider the M6 is sold with 6 speed manual in Europe. This EU spec M6 is may be not that fast on the quarter mile but the top speed is way better and is only stoped by the rev limiter.
6-Speeds aren't exactly any better for Top-Speed. In almost all circumstances you have to use 5th gear to reach absolute top speed because 6th gear is a fuel-conserving gear and doesn't generate enough torque to overcome the drag at high speeds.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I don't believe that picture for shit. I'm gonna take a picture of my dash and photoshop it to show it going past the 140 mph mark, and you won't be able to tell that it was photoshopped.

·
Registered
262 Posts
dang how could u spot the red line at the rpms, even though u say its there, i still cant see it

·
Registered
411 Posts
you guys obviously need something else to do...try college humor. I don't think he photoshopped an picture that he took while driving. That along tells you why it doesn't look so good. Unless you a 2.0 mazda 6 w/ a 6spd and have tried while going down hill then shut up. don't give crap just for the fun of giving crap

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Originally posted by Markell27@Aug 1 2005, 10:53 PM
you guys obviously need something else to do...try college humor. I don't think he photoshopped an picture that he took while driving. That along tells you why it doesn't look so good. Unless you a 2.0 mazda 6 w/ a 6spd and have tried while going down hill then shut up. don't give crap just for the fun of giving crap
[snapback]474188[/snapback]​
I don't have to drive the car to know that it's simply not capable of that speed.

According to Mazda Germany itself, the Drag-Limited Höchstgeschwindigkeit (Top Speed) of the 2.0 MZR with 6-Speed Transmission ranges from 206 to 211 KMH depending on the bodystyle of the Mazda6. It is not physically possible to gain an additional 30kmh at that speed simply by going downhill. In terms of Maximum Speed that's a staggering difference. 20mph is the kind of difference that an extra 100hp doesn't even buy you. Simply going downhill ain't gonna cut it. Can't physically happen.

Neither the 2.3 nor the 2.0 MZR have their Top Speeds rev-limited, they are both drag-limited. The only way to Redline a 2.0 or 2.3 in top gear is on a Dyno. Because there is no drag. And that is called Theoretical Top Speed because it can never be acheived on the road due to drag.

So either this particular 2.0 is far from stock, the photographer found a place in the world where the laws of physics do not apply, or the picture was taken on a dyno.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Speedometers have high errors rates too. Just because it says its going 240KM/hr, doesn't mean it actually is.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Originally posted by Sigma@Aug 1 2005, 09:15 PM
...Even a US-spec 3.0 would be damned lucky to break 140mph with a strong tailwind, let alone get to almost 150.
[snapback]474077[/snapback]​
The SVT Contour with less HP has been known to bust 155 to 160. (picture proven on CEG a few times, but of course it was closed pretty quick) The drag is similar between the 2, and the 6 has 20 more HP and 25 more ft/lbs.

Pic I saved:

[attachmentid=5493]

This one's only 150, but there was a few more that was a tick more.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Originally posted by mmarfan@Aug 2 2005, 03:55 PM
The SVT Contour with less HP has been known to bust 155 to 160. (picture proven on CEG a few times, but of course it was closed pretty quick) The drag is similar between the 2, and the 6 has 20 more HP and 25 more ft/lbs.

Pic I saved:

[attachmentid=5493]

This one's only 150, but there was a few more that was a tick more.
[snapback]474836[/snapback]​
The Drag-Limited Top Speed of the 2.5L SVT Contour is 143mph. Any higher than that is just speedometer inaccuracy, which at those speeds can be as much as 10%. Modern hyper-accurate navigation systems really show the inaccuracy of speedometers at high speed when you get up there in the MPH.

For proof of that, do the math. The CSVT tops out at 6310 RPMs, at 143mph. The picture shows the Tach virtually dead-on what would be 6310RPMs but it's MPH is quite a bit more -- the Speedo is wrong. With the gear ratios that the CSVT has it's not physically possible to be going 150mph at 6300RPMs.

The Drag-Limited Top Speed of the 3.0L Mazda6s is 142mph, actually a tick lower than the CSVT.

Both cars have the same CoD. So what's the difference? Gear ratios.

The 5th gear on the CSVT is a 0.77:1 with a Final Drive of 4.06:1, giving it a 3.13:1 Fifth Gear.

The 5th gear on the 6s is a 0.73:1 with a Final Drive of 4.13:1, giving it a 3.01:1 Fifth Gear.

The theoretical top speed of the 6s is slightly higher because of the lower 5th gear. But the actual top speed is just a hair lower because the lower gear ratio can't overcome the drag at those speeds. The extra power that the 6s has only goes so far -- particularly when it's pulling an extra 200lbs or so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts