Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently intalled the CP-e DP and we also reset the ECU (battery was disconnected for probably 8 hours)...

Anyway... What is the rev-limiter on the speed6? Because yesterday I was "Minding my own business" and this Evo9 flys past me... changes lanes infront of me and kinda sits there... so I figure.. what the hell... and pass him when traffic let up a bit... We played around for about 15 min on our ways to wherever....

Back to my point / question... I noticed that I could hold the car past 7000 rpms... and I never felt the usual "drop" in power.... I mean.. i've taken my speed to the tracks several times... and I always tried to shift just before that loss in power... Hell its like a "physical" shift light... if you forget to shift.. the car lets you know buy pulling power... However, now it seems like that I can keep the thing floored and I never feel that drop in power.. it just keeps going and going.... shortly after 7000 I decided to shift as I didn't know WTF was goin on...

I plan on testing this a few more times today when I go out to make sure I wasn't crazy.. or that I was just paying attention to the road and my perifrial (spelling) was playing tricks on me...

Also... I'm not exactly sure how to describe it.. but does anyone else notice that when your racing (at the track)... between quick shifts... lets say you slam it into 3rd and floor it... the car will kinda... puke.. or fart out for a second .. and then catch back up and go? its like it "back-fires" or something.. but doesn't make any noise.... Hard to explain exactly what I mean...

Anyway... mine used to do that every so often under heavy conditions... never during normal driving.. even at high rpm shifts... only when I would stomp on the gas while racing it hard.... and not always or in every gear.... Since the DP install it still does it.. but its a lot faster to regain its power... only lasts a half a second and is a lot less noticable....

What could be happening? Does anyone else have this same thing going on?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recently intalled the CP-e DP and we also reset the ECU (battery was disconnected for probably 8 hours)...

Anyway... What is the rev-limiter on the speed6? Because yesterday I was "Minding my own business" and this Evo9 flys past me... changes lanes infront of me and kinda sits there... so I figure.. what the hell... and pass him when traffic let up a bit... We played around for about 15 min on our ways to wherever....

Back to my point / question... I noticed that I could hold the car past 7000 rpms... and I never felt the usual "drop" in power.... I mean.. i've taken my speed to the tracks several times... and I always tried to shift just before that loss in power... Hell its like a "physical" shift light... if you forget to shift.. the car lets you know buy pulling power... However, now it seems like that I can keep the thing floored and I never feel that drop in power.. it just keeps going and going.... shortly after 7000 I decided to shift as I didn't know WTF was goin on...

I plan on testing this a few more times today when I go out to make sure I wasn't crazy.. or that I was just paying attention to the road and my perifrial (spelling) was playing tricks on me...

Also... I'm not exactly sure how to describe it.. but does anyone else notice that when your racing (at the track)... between quick shifts... lets say you slam it into 3rd and floor it... the car will kinda... puke.. or fart out for a second .. and then catch back up and go? its like it "back-fires" or something.. but doesn't make any noise.... Hard to explain exactly what I mean...

Anyway... mine used to do that every so often under heavy conditions... never during normal driving.. even at high rpm shifts... only when I would stomp on the gas while racing it hard.... and not always or in every gear.... Since the DP install it still does it.. but its a lot faster to regain its power... only lasts a half a second and is a lot less noticable....

What could be happening? Does anyone else have this same thing going on?
[/b]
Well I'm not the one to answer you're question but, I was wondering how much of HP increase you got out of the DP? do you have a Cat back exaust?
I'm planning on doing the same to my car but not sure about the power gain.

·
Registered
820 Posts
that's because the car is running so rich, unburnt fuel is hitting the hot ass cat and literally blowing up in the exhaust pipe. That's why it isn't wise to run you BOV VTA it only makes it run richer and will kill your cat. If you're running catless then you're OK.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
What you are describing sounds like a release in backpressure through the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
does anyone else notice that when your racing (at the track)... between quick shifts... lets say you slam it into 3rd and floor it... the car will kinda... puke.. or fart out for a second .. and then catch back up and go? its like it "back-fires" or something.. but doesn't make any noise.... Hard to explain exactly what I mean...

[/b]
I think this is just the turbo spooling back up. When you push the clutch, the bov bleeds the boost and as the engine is not being given gas for that second, there is not enough exhaust pressure to build boost in the turbo. shifting with the gas down will eliminate that, but may lead to premature clutch wear and driveline shock

·
Registered
566 Posts
ACtually, I occaisionally get the same thing-not turbo lag, the engine runns rough and won't accelerate for an eyeblink, then it's OK.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, what he is referring to has been discussed quite a bit on the forums, it seems to be just a hiccup after shifting into 3rd. I'm not sure if anyone figured out why it happens, but I usually have that problem shifting into 3rd at WOT.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yeah, what he is referring to has been discussed quite a bit on the forums, it seems to be just a hiccup after shifting into 3rd. I'm not sure if anyone figured out why it happens, but I usually have that problem shifting into 3rd at WOT.
[/b]
Pretty weird. I was just searching for this last night. It's just that. A slight pause when up shifting into third when at WOT, then it goes on like normal. This happens pretty consistantly, well every time, really. I couldn't find anything in searching. To me, it's very strange just because it seems to only happen in 3rd gear...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might be 3rd only... thats about when i notice it....

BTW I just went out and tested... is Rev-limiter at 7200 rpms? Cause thats what I was hitting before i felt the thing kick in...

I also do NOT notice the power / boost cut at 6000-6500 rpms that I used too... Feels the same all the way up till rev limiter kicks in..

THat being said i have CEL now... OH joy....

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've got the same hesitation when shifting quickly into third and fourth during WOT pulls to near redline. It acts like a fault in the ECU/ mapping. It's not the turbo needing to spool up, it's not "unburnt fuel is hitting the hot ass cat and literally blowing up in the exhaust pipe", and it's not a "release in the backpressure"; you guys are trying to screw with people's minds aren't you, you cannot be serious about these explainations.

It's either a lean or rich spot in the mapping or it's some ECU anomoly. Doesn't happen when I shift slowly under the otherwise same WOT pulls to redline.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I haven't experienced that so I gave an opinion based upon what it sounded like from the explanation that was given.

·
Registered
592 Posts
i deleted the mufflers and have no powerloss after 6000rpms but i get the little hesitation your talking about.. id say backpressure is the cuase.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Woo hoo! I'm not the only one for backpressure. -69- +1

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty sure EVERY speed6 has this issue we are talking about at 3rd gear and such... My guess is you guys aren't driving the car like you "could" be... Or you've been reflashed.... something that isn't "stock"

So far 19... NINE TEEEEENNN mazdaspeed6's have confirmed this problem... thats a pretty good number... ALL the exact same... i've driven 3 other speed6's and noticed the exact same problem on those....

No need to argue if you don't have it.. MAGICAL GOODNESS 4U!

Sounds like fixing / upgrading the exhaust... any / all parts helps with all the speed6 issues.... some have cat-back.. some have DP (myself)... some have just chopped the mufflers or something... And seems like all of us that have done something turbo-back have seen improvements in the high RPM band (among other low RPM gains)...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mine does the same thing, it has also done it in 4th a couple of times. The other day I was on the gas pretty hard coming down an onramp in fourth, the thing stuttered three times at about the 3200 RPM point, then settled down to normal. It felt like there was no gas or spark. Weird. I installed a boost gauge this weekend so I can monitor the turbo pressure, I want to see if the ECU is dropping the boost.

BTW, if you just shifted, that would be the point where there is the LEAST pressure in your exhaust. The most pressure would be at HIGH RPM full throttle. If this was caused by some exhaust phantom it would be the same in every gear.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
...Back to my point / question... I noticed that I could hold the car past 7000 rpms... and I never felt the usual "drop" in power.... I mean.. i've taken my speed to the tracks several times... and I always tried to shift just before that loss in power... Hell its like a "physical" shift light... if you forget to shift.. the car lets you know buy pulling power... However, now it seems like that I can keep the thing floored and I never feel that drop in power.. it just keeps going and going.... shortly after 7000 I decided to shift as I didn't know WTF was goin on...

[/b]
I noticed the same "improvement" in reving past 6000rpm after installing the 3" exhaust. With the stock setup the first time I hit that "wall" at somewhere above 5000rpm I thought I had over-rev'd the engine and the ECU was cutting fuel to prevent possible damage, as that's what it felt like, from previous experiences in other cars. It was such a huge drop in power it just didn't feel like something natural. I hit it a few more times in aggressive driving, but knew what to expect now.

After putting on the exhaust, I was driving and accelerating to get a feel for the sound and power differences. I did an aggressive launch from a dead stop and purposely rev'd it past 6000rpm to feel what the top end was like. I was very surprised when there was no "wall". The engine just rev'd naturally and smoothly to well over 6000rpm. I've had the exhaust for about 10 days now, and taken the car over 6k rpm several times. Same thing, smooth uninterrupted increase in rpms past 6000rpm. No more "power drop".

This seems to be similar to experiences of other people that have installed the CP-E catback system. There have been earlier threads discussing this result, and there are definitely others that are finding the engine pulls cleanly to well over 6000rpm when some type of exhaust mod is done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts