Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I am new here, I am in a bit of a pickle my car is consuming huge amount of oil.

I have replaced the pcv valve as I thought it might have been the problem.

To my disgust it was not.

The car is a 2005 2.3l Mazda 6 Individual.

it has 180 000km On the clock and I am the second owner for a few months now.

My question is what do you guys suggest I try? Can i put 20w50 oil in to see if that helps?

ANY suggestions welcome.

The car consumes about quart of oil every 150km. Sometimes more depending how hard I drive the car.

Thanks guys:crying:

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Hi guys

I am new here, I am in a bit of a pickle my car is consuming huge amount of oil.

I have replaced the pcv valve as I thought it might have been the problem.

To my disgust it was not.

The car is a 2005 2.3l Mazda 6 Individual.

it has 180 000km On the clock and I am the second owner for a few months now.

My question is what do you guys suggest I try? Can i put 20w50 oil in to see if that helps?

ANY suggestions welcome.

The car consumes about quart of oil every 150km. Sometimes more depending how hard I drive the car.

Thanks guys:crying:
1qt every 150km/100mi? Yikes. That's a huge amount of oil. One thing you didn't mention is if you know whether the oil is leaking or burning (maybe both). If the oil is burning you would get blue-ish smoke (and a TON of it burning that much oil) from the exhaust pipe. If the oil is leaking it would leave a puddle where you park.

A leak most likely means a bad gasket or seal -- maybe even a hole in the oil pan? Burning oil could be several issues, including bad piston rings.

Whatever the problem, I'd get it looked at immediately so that you don't completely trash your engine. Low oil pressure can severely damage an engine - especially if you drive it hard. At normal driving speeds, no oil will destroy a running engine in seconds.

I don't think using heavier oil is going to help.

·
Super Moderator
16,809 Posts
1qt every 150km/100mi? Yikes. That's a huge amount of oil. One thing you didn't mention is if you know whether the oil is leaking or burning (maybe both). If the oil is burning you would get blue-ish smoke (and a TON of it burning that much oil) from the exhaust pipe. If the oil is leaking it would leave a puddle where you park.

A leak most likely means a bad gasket or seal -- maybe even a hole in the oil pan? Burning oil could be several issues, including bad piston rings.

Whatever the problem, I'd get it looked at immediately so that you don't completely trash your engine. Low oil pressure can severely damage an engine - especially if you drive it hard. At normal driving speeds, no oil will destroy a running engine in seconds.

I don't think using heavier oil is going to help.
That would be a LOT of blue smoke at 1qt/100mi of driving haha.

Like rjhornsby said, look for leaks around the gaskets, oil pan, and everything in between. You're losing a lot of oil; it's going to show up somewhere.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Wow, that's too much oil to burn. Definitely a major leak somewhere. Fortunately, it shouldn't be hard to pinpoint with that kind of loss. How easy does it crank in the morning and how does it idle? Not to be a messenger, but a hole in the piston could also cause that kind of oil loss. I know from personal experience on that one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just put the oil the car recommends which i believe is 5w 20?..

The 2.3L consume a lot of oil, check for blow by, which is smoke coming out of the oil dipstick tube, the intake tube, and the oil cap. Check inside your intake for oil, theres a VTS (variable timing solenoid, i think thats it) that helps with the flow of oil? Check that its one of the sensors on the valve cover.

Also if you can't tell were the leak is coming from, put a cardboard box underneath the car, even if its tiny little drops you will know where the oil is leaking from.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow guys thanks for the quick response!

Sorry for not giving all the info.

The car starts easy every morning on the 1st or second swing it starts.

I have checked the plugs they seem to be blackish in color.

The car definitely does not leak any oil that I can see. Not from the head or anywhere else.

Not even from gearbox. The car is surprisingly very clean underneath.

The car does not smoke on startup nor does it smoke when i drive it around town normally. Only when I drive it hard it smokes. Starting from 4000rpm upwards! and even then the smoke is very little to the amount it is using....

The car idles normally when hot. When I startup in morning it idles on 1500rpm for about 30sec and then goes 1000rpm and when operating temp is reached it will idle at 650-750rpm.

I made a mistake in the amount it is using. Sorry I am south african and our units are different.

it uses APPROX 0.3 quarts that is equal to about 250ml of oil. every 150km or so.

Think i need to take it for a leak down and compression test. Currently I am using CASTROL EDGE FST 5w40. Is this okay?

It's just strange for me to see the car use this much oil but it has little to none side-effects.

How do I check the oil blow by? Do I start the car with the oil cap removed and check for smoke? It does smoke a little when the car is at driving temp. But Im guessing this is just from the high oil temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I did the pcv job there was a small puddle of oil in the intake.... Where could this have come from? as I checked the old pcv valve and it worked... Where else could this have come from?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Wow guys thanks for the quick response!

Sorry for not giving all the info.

The car starts easy every morning on the 1st or second swing it starts.

I have checked the plugs they seem to be blackish in color.

The car definitely does not leak any oil that I can see. Not from the head or anywhere else.

Not even from gearbox. The car is surprisingly very clean underneath.

The car does not smoke on startup nor does it smoke when i drive it around town normally. Only when I drive it hard it smokes. Starting from 4000rpm upwards! and even then the smoke is very little to the amount it is using....

The car idles normally when hot. When I startup in morning it idles on 1500rpm for about 30sec and then goes 1000rpm and when operating temp is reached it will idle at 650-750rpm.

I made a mistake in the amount it is using. Sorry I am south african and our units are different.

it uses APPROX 0.3 quarts that is equal to about 250ml of oil. every 150km or so.

Think i need to take it for a leak down and compression test. Currently I am using CASTROL EDGE FST 5w40. Is this okay?

It's just strange for me to see the car use this much oil but it has little to none side-effects.

How do I check the oil blow by? Do I start the car with the oil cap removed and check for smoke? It does smoke a little when the car is at driving temp. But Im guessing this is just from the high oil temp.
5W40 is way too thick, you'll want to cut that back before any other damage is done. Plugs sound oil fouled, so a compression test puts you on the right track. Sounds like the rings are shot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree this is way too heavy. You should revert to 5-20W recommended oil and take it from there.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
5W40 is way too thick, you'll want to cut that back before any other damage is done. Plugs sound oil fouled, so a compression test puts you on the right track. Sounds like the rings are shot.
Don't worry about the conversion math. I get it mixed up all the time. Even after accounting for that, losing 250ml every 150km (so around 1qt every 400 miles) isn't any better. It's a huge loss. Most passenger cars these days hold around 5 quarts (~4.5L) of oil, total. You're losing or burning through all of that about long before the old school standard 3000 mile oil change. That's really bad. A model year 2005 is older, but not old. It should not be doing that.

I agree that the plugs are fouled, probably from oil contamination in the combustion chamber -- but under these circumstances the engine should not be running as well as described. Your rings are probably toast. :| A compression test will tell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys,

I will get the tests done asap and let you guys know what is the outcome. Thanks
Hi King Klip, what was the outcome of your problem? I'm having very similar issues.

Drove from PE to Durban this weekend (+/- 1000 km) and emptied out the oil tank completely. The return trip did the same thing.. Used 5L of oil.

Only saw smoke when reving 4k rpm or higher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi King Klip, what was the outcome of your problem? I'm having very similar issues.

Drove from PE to Durban this weekend (+/- 1000 km) and emptied out the oil tank completely. The return trip did the same thing.. Used 5L of oil.

Only saw smoke when reving 4k rpm or higher.
Heya - did you end up getting a response from this? I have just started to have this issue on my 2006 MPS6.
Not against taking it to a mechanic but would at least like to know exactly the things to get them to look for so they dont rip everything apart and then charge me an arm and a leg to get it done....
Any info would be appreciated!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts