Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 GT with 96k miles on it. So far it's been extremely reliable with only the brakes having to be replaced. What kind of mileage totals are any of you seeing on your 3rd gen? Any big issues occur after 100k?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
125K on my 2016, and all I've replaced is brakes and plugs. Suspension is feeling a bit worn, Michigan roads will do that, so I'll probably do struts before winter.

It's been a dead-reliable car, I'm hoping to put about 225K on it before I'm done with it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
How many do you have on yours?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
~185k. Will likely do struts and shocks this fall; I can notice it being a bit loose but nothing awful. Control arm bushings still look ok.

Given the results from UOAs and similar and the lack of issues I fully expect the car will see north of 300k miles.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Given the results from UOAs and similar and the lack of issues I fully expect the car will see north of 300k miles.
Ditto. Got another one back last change and it was perfect.

.......Only thing I'm starting to see is rust in spots I'd rather not.....stupid saline solution. Will repair as needed - such is life above the rust belt.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Unfortunately there's not much you can do about the brine nonsense -- it's established by now that the people who live in those areas won't rise up and demand that governments stop intentionally destroying their property (never mind all the collective damage done to roads which then must be fixed with tax dollars!), accepting the (significant) increase in hassle and travel times that come from plow + sand or similar alternatives.

I'd rather have the slower pace that results from same during the winter months, having lived beyond the "reasonably able to get salt here" belt for a good long time. That area no longer IS salt-free, sadly (it used to be though in the late 70s/early 80s) -- they upped the taxes and of course in came the salt. Did it really slow me down much in the winter when it was plow + sand? No; once you figured out how to drive on it you were fine, and cars didn't get destroyed either. What you didn't have was instant gratification after a snowstorm and you DID have to slow down somewhat -- but not all that much.

I gave some consideration when I lived in the rust belt to building a trough + hot-water shower arrangement that you drove over in front of the entrance to my garage so the undercarriage got all that crap off it before the car went inside. I don't know if it would be effective, however, at any reasonable amount of flow, heating and pressure (that is, COST!)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hunter, did you ever do shift cable neutralization?
You know, I never did. It took a back burner to some home renovations, and the problem largely worked itself out. It's pretty rare that I notice any issues getting into first. Probably not great, I'm guessing something just wore-in, and maybe not how it should have. But it's been at the bottom of the to-do list for a while and probably isn't getting done anytime soon, lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
.......Only thing I'm starting to see is rust in spots I'd rather not.....stupid saline solution. Will repair as needed - such is life above the rust belt.
AGREED! The paint does chip really easily, and I'm noticing that any unfilled chips are starting to show rust. I'll be spending a few days with rust converter and a Dr Colorchip kit trying to get everything sealed up this summer. But I can already tell this car is going to be showing real rust by year 5 or 6. As Ticker noted, that's more of a Michigan problem than a Mazda problem. We salt the hell out of everything, and I'm convinced that's one of the factors causing our roads to be the worst in the nation.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hunter, did you ever do shift cable neutralization?
You know, I never did. It took a back burner to some home renovations, and the problem largely worked itself out. It's pretty rare that I notice any issues getting into first. Probably not great, I'm guessing something just wore-in, and maybe not how it should have. But it's been at the bottom of the to-do list for a while and probably isn't getting done anytime soon, lol.
OK, thx...

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
I just remembered that I forgot to mention I had my serpentine belt "explode" (it broke while I was getting on it getting up to highway speed) at around 145k miles, but I again attribute that to the car spending its life in wildly varying temperatures.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
Byakuya
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing