Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reached 100,000 miles on my 03 Mazda 6S 5-speed today. It has been fairly reliable although I spent almost $3,000 in services and replacement parts in the last 6 months. Nevertheless, the parts I replaced such as 2 CV boots, front brake pads and rotors, battery, control fan module (known problem of course), engine coils, spark plugs (replaced for free when engine coils were replaced), were considered normal due to the amount of miles on the car. Are there any other owners in the Mazda 6 club with high miles?

The car is still in good shape (besides the interior rattles). Here are pictures of my car.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Congrats on the 100,000 miles! :drive:

I'm almost at 19k on my '05 so I like that 100,000 came and you're still rolling but $3,000 kind of has me worried.
I've broke 100K in some other cars and never had to drop that kind of money in the time span you talked about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, here is a list of my mods.

-Mazda 6 Sports Package (with the full front and rear bumpers and side skirts) NOTE: I purchased the car without the Sports Package due to the dealer offering a $5,000 discount at the time of purchase.
-17 inch Sports Package wheels (The car came with 16 inch alloys.)
-Stainless Steel Exhaust tips
-K&N Typhoon Intake
-Boston Acoustic 2-way speakers for the rear doors

This car is a keeper until it dies. Is any one else planning on keeping thier 6?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
i just hit 42,000 on my 2005 and havn't had to spend a dime yet.. nor have I really needed to use my warrenty for anything beyond small crap like the rough shifting and stuff.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,575 Posts
Congrats on the 100,000 miles! :drive:

I'm almost at 19k on my '05 so I like that 100,000 came and you're still rolling but $3,000 kind of has me worried.
I've broke 100K in some other cars and never had to drop that kind of money in the time span you talked about.
[/b]
My last car was a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser that I bought brand new and maintained meticulously. At 47k miles, I replaced the front struts and rear shocks as well as the front and rear brake rotors and pads. At 52k, I had to replace the front brake rotors again (under warranty). At 58k, a sensor went bad that I had to pay for in the transmission. At 59k, the entire transmission took a dump at once (under warranty, $100 deductible). At 62k miles, both front wheel bearings, another set of brake rotors, and 2 tires (normal) needed replacing.

I also had wiring problems with the car since it was new, which took 14 visits to repair WITHOUT any rental provision from the dealer. The AC compressor was also clogged, which I had to pay to get unclogged (only $100 thank God). My rear seat latches were weak, so the seat would fall when I would stop suddenly. And sometimes, the car wouldn't start and I'd have to keep pulling out the key and re-inserting. They never did find a problem for this.

I spent about $3000 on that car within 62k miles, so $3000 within 100k miles would be a welcome change.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i just hit 42,000 on my 2005 and havn't had to spend a dime yet.. nor have I really needed to use my warrenty for anything beyond small crap like the rough shifting and stuff.
[/b]
I'm right there with you Hedsic! I got about 37k on my 05 and have had the tranny replaced so far that's it. I just got it shipped from Alaska and it's coming to Hawaii around the end of the month. I'm bringing her in for interior rattles....no problems besides that though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What motor oil and grade do you use now?

My car just hit 65000 miles, it hasn't been very reliable on me. No major mechanical problems but many minor issues.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
At 13,500 miles, 6 months exactly today. In the shop 2 times. Once for the AC leaking at the windshield (TSB). That resulted in a 3 week stay because of delays in parts, etc. They broke a dash clip while taking the dash apart too, so that was drama.

The 2nd time, the dash was rattling a little where they took it apart the first time. And my seat plastic on the right side (this is a new-for-06 thing BTW) was broken by a careless friend of mine. They ordered and installed it, but since it was the T-Day holiday time, that took almost 2 weeks.

They gave me a loaner both times, washed and dried my car, and filled it with gas before I got it back. I have no complaints!

Because of my previous experience (see above post), I got the 100k warranty. I hope I won't have to use it, but it's too early to say right now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm at 54,300 miles. A few rattles fixed, ashtray bulb went out which replaced, New front brake pads and a new battery (both normal of course). I also got that winsheild defroster TSB done. Now that I'm out of warranty the bulb for the fan knob on the center console went out. I am going to change that, but I'll have to have the dealer do that since I dont know how to open up the center console, looks kinda hard, lol.

The only mechanical problem was one of the cv boots was spitting a little grease, at least thats what the dealer told me, I couldn't notice. But that was fixed under warranty even though it was 400 miles over :) . Otherwise car has been flawless and reliable. Never thrown a CEL yet :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have 45K on my 2005 6i. The only problem I've had to date is the a/c compressor replaced within a few months after buying it. I'm due for a tranny flush, which I plan to do with Redline. I bought some of the Hawk pads through the group buy which I'll install as needed.

I do plan on keeping the 6 for a long time, and would be very disappointed :irate: if I had to spend aywhere near $3k at 100K miles. I've always had Toyotas and Nissans with all going over 100K miles, and NEVER had to spend any major bucks on them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm at about 7,560 in almost six months, so, obviously, I haven't had any real issues yet. I don't even feel worthy posting among you 6 owners that are at 40,000+ miles. I feel left out.

·
Registered
444 Posts
By the way, here is a list of my mods.

-Mazda 6 Sports Package (with the full front and rear bumpers and side skirts) NOTE: I purchased the car without the Sports Package due to the dealer offering a $5,000 discount at the time of purchase.
-17 inch Sports Package wheels (The car came with 16 inch alloys.)
-Stainless Steel Exhaust tips
-K&N Typhoon Intake
-Boston Acoustic 2-way speakers for the rear doors

This car is a keeper until it dies. Is any one else planning on keeping thier 6?
[/b]

i plan to keep my 6s 2004 until it dies too. My parents bought me this and it has to last at least until I can afford a car by myself.

I am at 94,000Km which i believe = 59,000 miles.

I have 2 years and a half left before I graduate, and i plan to get a Master or add a Minor... so it might take longer.

·
Registered
780 Posts
45k miles here and damn reliable,.. Im glad to say, knock on wood, that I had no major problems, but the car is far from new, and I'm starting to feel her age. I'm coming upon 3 yrs of ownership this coming february. The engine still feels solid, but there are things like the starter, shocks, rattles, (that I been meaning to get around to fix) that keep it from being perfect.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My cars will be keepers - both of them! I'm one and a half years into my 2005 i ATX, and I'll be taking delivery of a leftover i MTX this week. This should tell you a lot about the car being majorly trouble-free. The only "problem" I had with my first one was the 17" wheels, which simply didn't last on Jeddah's bad streets. So that's not the car's fault. I eventually switched to 16"s. I have an extra set of wheels and Potenza G3's that will go on the new one.
The major expense with the car was having to go through three windshields. Other than that, the only expenses I had were regular ones for oil changes, brake pads and one battery. That was it. I've had the lower front control arms replaced under warranty - twice. No issues there so far.
Now I'm running on 70,000 kms and I know the car needs new shocks, which I'm holding out for the 80,000 km mark (hopefully I'll have some extra money by then.) The lamp in the AC's temperature control knob is moody, so I'll have the dealer get in there, since they already fixed the lamp in the fan knob last month. The trim pieces on the A-pillars look like they're about to fall off, but that doesn't worry me too much. Of course, there are the usual scratches and dents, but I'll take care of that with a new paint job in a year or so. There is dent in the AC radiator, but thank god, it's not leaking - yet. Everything else works as it did when new.
Best of luck to all of us who see beyond that CamCord and know what driving is all about :)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I'm at about 7,560 in almost six months, so, obviously, I haven't had any real issues yet. I don't even feel worthy posting among you 6 owners that are at 40,000+ miles. I feel left out.
[/b]
Had mine the same time, 13.5k miles. The sad thing is, I work 2.5 miles from home!

It's been to OH, KY, through WV and PA, to NY and NJ a few times, and even to SW PA.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Most of the things he mentions: brake pads, CV boots, battery, plugs, are things that should either be part of normal maintenance, or may or may not wear out by 100k depending on how the car was used and sheer luck. Apart from the fan module, this is indeed all within normal parameters, and isn't grounds for complaint. $3000 is quite a bit, however. I wouldn't think all these items cost that much. But who knows? Perhaps it was the ache of seeing that much money fly out of his wallet that prompted his post.

Most of us have owned, once upon a time, a legendary vehicle that seemed to go on and on without breaking. My last legend was a 1999 626 V6 mtx I sold to a family member. Apart from a wheel speed sensor, it had no repairs from ~20k when I bought it used to ~140k when I sold it. The family member is still driving it and she hasn't had to spend much on it at all, although it's now nearly 160k. BUT: I had to spend money on the brakes, tires, 1 CV joint, new battery, plugs, tires, fresh transmission oil, the occasional blown headlight, wipers, etc., etc. These are all normal running costs. I think some peoples' expectations regarding reliabilityare too high--or they expect every car they buy to be one of the legends. Just doesn't happen...

As far as my '04 6i mtx is concerned, I'm at 52k. It was manufactured in August '03, making it one of the earlier '04s. I had some of the bugs fixed early in the warranty period: the brake moan disease, the fogging windshield problem. Since that time, zip,rien, nichts, nada. It's all been change the oil and filter and go. It may fall apart by 100k, but for now it's in a prolonged trouble free stage that I hope will last beyond 100k. When I bought the car, I wasn't thrilled about the dealer visits to fix the bugs. The brake moan ailment, in fact, took multiple visits and was a PIA. But clear sailing since then. The car is out of warranty now, but it feels tight and I'm looking forward eventually to adding it to my roster of legends.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts