Mazda 6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
uh, I am concerned about the 7qts of oil thing. isn't it supposed to be 5.5? I thought 7 was for engines with the BSD?
Its weird because the first time I did the oil change I had to put in about 6 I think and this time around it took almost 7qt I think there was about 8oz left in the last container by the time I was able to get the oil dip stick to read Max

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
Wow it have been a while since I updated this thread.. But here is my current update.

The car currently sits at 113k+ miles.
Yesterday replaced the spark plugs with Autolite XP-XP5364 factory heat range and gaped to 0.28 since I am still stock and I am not tuning yet. I don't know when the old ones where put in but they are Motor Craft plugs. But the car does feel more Alive/energized with the new plugs.

Early last week replaced cabin air filter , which by the looks it looks like it have never been changed lol..

I dont know why but even though I ordered the one for the Speed6, but it was a little bigger and I had to cut it in order to fit.

I am still using Rotella T6 but I changing it between 3,500-4,000 miles Since I have been seeing a drop in performance once I get past 4k miles.

And Last last week I start getting all the tools I will need to clean the valves, I will be using the B12 or Denutured Alcohol with a drill. The only thing I am waiting for is the pcv valve, but unfortunately I don't think I will be able to get this done this year since I don't have a garage and its already getting cold to work out side.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good update.

While I don’t have a Speed6 anymore, I changed my cabin filter @ about 40K miles and it looked very similar. Amazing how dirty they get. I noticed that the fan seemed to blow more air after I changed it as well.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Good update.

While I don’t have a Speed6 anymore, I changed my cabin filter @ about 40K miles and it looked very similar. Amazing how dirty they get. I noticed that the fan seemed to blow more air after I changed it as well.
Yeah it made a big difference in the air flow, so yours got like this in 40k? What happen to your Speed6 did you sold it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, it was somewhere around 40k miles. I was surprised how dirty it was. I traded in my Speed6 a few months back due to increased family size.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yeah, it was somewhere around 40k miles. I was surprised how dirty it was. I traded in my Speed6 a few months back due to increased family size.

Oh ok, that make sense.. what car did you get?

·
Registered
465 Posts
It all depends on how it was treated before you bought it. I wouldn't buy a Speed6 without knowing its history . I own a 2006 Speed6 GT , that I bought new, the dealer replaced the timing chain under a technical bulletin, at no cost , thats the only repair I have had. ----But my car just turned 49k miles. Almost impossible to say what needs to be done, get another car to commute and keep the Speed6 for your good car. Oldvet

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
It all depends on how it was treated before you bought it. I wouldn't buy a Speed6 without knowing its history . I own a 2006 Speed6 GT , that I bought new, the dealer replaced the timing chain under a technical bulletin, at no cost , thats the only repair I have had. ----But my car just turned 49k miles. Almost impossible to say what needs to be done, get another car to commute and keep the Speed6 for your good car. Oldvet

Yeah, I know what you are saying its hard to tell what have to be done, so far the the car have been great. I have added 19k since I got with 94k on Jul of last year. so I am trying to make sure I keep up with the things that are starting to wear out..

I have thought about getting cheap car to commute but I cant at the moment..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Quick Update.

Have driving this car since I got it over a year ago and it starting to show its age. At the moment I am in the process of changing the motor mounts since have a clunks. The TMM is getting deliver today and I will be ordering the rmm in the next couple of weeks.

The brakes are also starting to ware out, and fade once in a while. I already look at different options and I am going to go with the StopTech - PowerStop Slotted rotors but I am not set on the pads yet. I am also thinking to get SS lines.

Suspension wise in the front end it feels like the booshings or ball joints are starting go. So I have to start planning to get all that replaced.

I will keep you guys updated once I install TMM tomorrow.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Update on the TMM, I decided to get ahead of the game installed the TMM last night since it was supposed to be colder this morning than it was last night.

It wasn't hard to install, but I had a few setbacks since forgot to fully charge my light before working on the car. And since I had the car on ramps, I had to get it off of it after removing the stock tmm since the jack could raise the transimissi high enough to align with the AWR Tmm.

Here is my first impression after driving 4mile get a feel of it and get it up to temp do the oil change.

So in the start up you can hear more the engine, then the vibrations start to set in as the car start to rev down during the cold start

While driving if feels more connected, there is no more slack and the clunk I had is gone. The only thing is while shifting in to 1st and second it feels a little rough, but 3 and up feels good.

Whine? Yeah it sound like the whine you hear in those rally cars lol

So far the vibes are not bad in Idle or above 3k rpm, while accelerating the car have the feeling like the front wheel bearing is bad on the driver side because of the vibes, and when letting off the gas the vibes feel weird too lol, and when turning off the car you can hear a rumble like there is some thing loose inside the engine.

The Stock one did not had any visible cracks or looked broken.
Here is how the new TMM looks installed

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Finally did a compression test, to have a peace of mind and here is what I got. The car currently sits at 116 ,388 and thats how my new plugs(Installed on 09-29-14) look about 4-6k miles later. They look good, Cyl #4 read 185psi 10psi higher than cyl 1,2 and 3

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yeah man its huge relief to know the engine is healthy.. I will continue to do what I have been doing, I really dont drive the car that hard, I mostly do spirited driving. Since I still have about 3 more years to pay off the car I cant afford ZZB..

The car is still pretty much stock, but I continue to mod in a maintenance basis, but I am currently planning to get a hpfp and VT sometime this year.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Update

Quick Update-

Picked up a Cobb AP V2 over the weekend, I know I said I was going to go with Versa Tune instead but decided to give it a try since I got it for under $300. I am planning on getting the HPFP in the next few weeks. In the mean time I will be running the Stage 0 map while I get my self up to speed with the whole tuning terminology and how to's

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Good for you!
Get on the Cobb website and request your free copy of AccessTuner Race (ATR). When you get it, and get it installed, take a quick skim through the help file. You don't need to study it or read it word for word, but a quick scan will give you a ton of info and a good idea where to look when you go back later should you desire detailed info on a topic...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Good for you!
Get on the Cobb website and request your free copy of AccessTuner Race (ATR). When you get it, and get it installed, take a quick skim through the help file. You don't need to study it or read it word for word, but a quick scan will give you a ton of info and a good idea where to look when you go back later should you desire detailed info on a topic...
Thanks for the tip, I will do that right now.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Update finally Got my Auto Tech HPFP internals, they arrived last Thursday. Planning to get them installed this next Sunday with a help of a friend of mine.

The only thing I was worried a little is the fact that they look a little dirty, but ppl are saying its ok..

61 - 80 of 97 Posts