Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
It's entirely possible that you just have a garden variety boost leak
That is what I am starting to think, I will check tomorrow morning since I didnt have time to check when I did the oil change and by the time I get home in a couple of hours it will be too dark out.

Could a dirty CAI filter cause that type of issue of preventing the boost to reach the correct psi?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
Very doubtful- the car would be choking by that point.

If you don't have one, I encourage making an inexpensive boost leak tester- common parts at the hardware store plus a tire valve stem are the basic components, but with some imagination you can use a variety of things to make one.

Google mazdaspeed boost leak tester
- in this regard the speed3 & 6 are the interchangeable, just get right diameter for your intake

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Very doubtful- the car would be choking by that point.

If you don't have one, I encourage making an inexpensive boost leak tester- common parts at the hardware store plus a tire valve stem are the basic components, but with some imagination you can use a variety of things to make one.

Google mazdaspeed boost leak tester
- in this regard the speed3 & 6 are the interchangeable, just get right diameter for your intake
Thanks, it have to be a boostleak. The car its not ckoking, so I will Google it to make a tester

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thanks, it have to be a boostleak. The car its not ckoking, so I will Google it to make a tester

While you're in there testing for a leak make sure the coupler from tip to turbo is tight. Not that it would make a difference in your boost problem since it is pre-turbo but might as well while you're in that area. I found mine to look like this and fall off on its own the other day when I replaced my intake. I don't think it was even all the way on the turbo.. :mad:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
While you're in there testing for a leak make sure the coupler from tip to turbo is tight. Not that it would make a difference in your boost problem since it is pre-turbo but might as well while you're in that area. I found mine to look like this and fall off on its own the other day when I replaced my intake. I don't think it was even all the way on the turbo.. :mad:
Thanks for the heads up I will take a look at that as well

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Update:

Not a good way to end the day :( This afternoon while driving in the highway with Moderate to light rain got the code P0103. The road was wet but there was no big puddle of water, but I think water got into the filter/intake..

Everything was normal when I felt the that the traction control cut power driver front wheel, and a few mins later I felt that both front wheels lost power and at the same time the traction control light flashed and then the check engine light came on!

The car went into limp mode and the engine started to cut off constantly so I pulled over for 5-10mins, I did a code search using the torque app and got the P0103 - Power train Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit high input.

I did a quick google search and found a thread from back in 07 where some one got the same code and some one commented that it was due to the CAI filter getting wet..

I just got home and I will try to remove the intake and to dry the filter and the clean the sensor.. I am crossing my fingers that the MAF sensor doesnt go bad because of this.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
After pulling the fiter and the MAF sensor they both have traces of water, I will clean the air sensor with electronic cleaner spray that I have and also wash and dry the air filter.

Here are some pics of the filter, since the intake have a K&N sticker I was expecting a K&N filter and instead found a Spectre.. Based on the pics do you guys think its ok to keep this filter or should I get a new one?

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
I vote SRI with dry flow filter for no more sucking up water and easy future cleaning+no oily maf sensor but thats just me.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I vote SRI with dry flow filter for no more sucking up water and easy future cleaning+no oily maf sensor but thats just me.
If I continue to have issue I will have to go that way, this have been a concern that I have had in the back of my mind the last couple of months.. lol I even sent a pm to a fellow PA member that have a Speed6 with a CAI to see if he had any issues and he gave me a little reassurance since he have not have any issues.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Imo a cai is pointless unless it came on the car when u bought it. They make a minimal difference to bats vs an sricand lead to that issue with rain!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That sucks dude. Chop your CAI into a SRI and get the air straighter. That way you won't throw a CEL and you won't need to worry about sucking water or getting a dry flow. I recently chopped my pipe and I'm glad I did. Replace the Spectre too...an AEM filter isn't that much.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Imo a cai is pointless unless it came on the car when u bought it. They make a minimal difference to bats vs an sricand lead to that issue with rain!
The CAI came with the car when I got, I have not done any performance mods to the car since I got it last July. But I have been thinking on changing it for a SRI since I was afraid of having this type of issues or worst hydro-lock the engine. So I will start saving to buy a good short ram with a dry flow filter.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
i
That sucks dude. Chop your CAI into a SRI and get the air straighter. That way you won't throw a CEL and you won't need to worry about sucking water or getting a dry flow. I recently chopped my pipe and I'm glad I did. Replace the Spectre too...an AEM filter isn't that much.
Not a bad idea, I can probably do that to mine. I saw a video on youtube of some one that converted the same intake I have into a SRI.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i

Not a bad idea, I can probably do that to mine. I saw a video on youtube of some one that converted the same intake I have into a SRI.
Not sure what pipe you have, but I have the Ebay one. I followed this thread and it was easy. And I'm not mechanically inclined lol.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I have a Fujita 5 CAI, with the design of this intake an the position of the MAF its not easy to convert to a SRI.. If I do it I will probably end up upgrading to a SRI from a company like JBR, AEM, or COB ect..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Alright after getting the filter and the air sensor clean and dry I installed every thing back into the car. In my way to work the car ran flawlessly up until I was 2 lights away from work, when sitting at the light the idle was fluctuating for little but once I parked the car at work I let it idle for a min or two before I turn off the car. I will keep an eye but I think I should be fine.

I reused the same filter, since I will order a new one online today. But I have a question the CAI that I have is 2.75" pipe whats filter size should I get that I can install it now and keep it once I get SRI..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Just received my AEM Dry flow filter and filter wrap. . Now I Just need to wait for all the snow to melt so I can install it

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Alright so I finally got around to install the new filter in the car, the new one is actually smaller than the one it already had so I am not sure if that will make a difference or not, so far the car feels good probably I should have cleaned the MAF in case it have any oil from the old filter.. Lets see how it works in the with this dry flow and wrap setup if I run to any issues I will switch to a SRI..

Forgot to take a shot of the new filter installed lol

While installing the new filter I noticed traces of oil coming from a line I think its for the power steering.. I need to monitor the steering fluid to see how much its looking. The steering feels normal except for some creating rpm surges when moving the steering wheel and the car is parked idell.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Here are other pics under the hood..

Is it ok for this hose that goes in to valve cover be bent?

Decided to explore more and removed the engine/tmic cover, and this happened. Thankfully the second one did not break so I was able to reinstall it later.

·
Banned
318 Posts
Update:

Today I did my 2nd oil change after getting the car, its currently ~5,000 since the last oil change back in Sept 2013. Used Rotella T6 5W40 again and the took almost 7qt to fill the car. I also got the Blackstone oil kit, and took an oil sample for the test

-Torque App: I got the correct PID for the Speed6 from the Play Store, and after trying to get the boost reading it still not going past 8-9psi.

At this point I will need take a look at the CAI filter since I have not look at it to see how dirty it is, and look for a vacum leak to see if thats why I am not reaching 15psi or at least getting close.
uh, I am concerned about the 7qts of oil thing. isn't it supposed to be 5.5? I thought 7 was for engines with the BSD?

41 - 60 of 97 Posts