Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
But, and this holds true for every Full Time AWD car out there, as a general rule the tires must be matched in rotating diameter or the system will, somewhere within it's connections, work against itself and cause problems. Some have more leeway than others, but they all follow the same core guideline.

Tires
- When replacing tires, always replace
all front and rear tires at the same time.

- All tires must be of the same size,
manufacture, brand and tread pattern.
Pay particular attention when
equipping snow or other types of
winter tires.

- Do not mix tread-worn tires with
normal tires.
Thanks for the info Boosted! the diameter of both the front and rear tires are the same its just the brand that is different, but after reading your post I see that I need to get them replaced asap since as I stated they are different brands so they different threads pattern and..

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thanks for the info Boosted! the diameter of both the front and rear tires are the same its just the brand that is different, but after reading your post I see that I need to get them replaced asap since as I stated they are different brands so they different threads pattern and..
Unless the tread pattern is very off (ie-performance and winter) I would not worry about replacing them unless your 4wd is acting up. It is more important that the amount of tread left is with ~25% of each other.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Unless the tread pattern is very off (ie-performance and winter) I would not worry about replacing them unless your 4wd is acting up. It is more important that the amount of tread left is with ~25% of each other.
Oh ok.. I will check the amount of thread left on the front and how big of a difference. When you say acting up what symptoms should I look for?

Edit-

Front - Driver side have about ~2k miles ( I had to replace it due to bulge) - Passenger Side miles are unknown.

The 2 rear tires have about 6+k miles since they were put on when I got the car

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
issue stems from differences between manufacturers and even within their own lines, different brands and versions will vary in size- a DWS and a DW will have different outside diameters even tho both are sized at 225/45-18 when new.

Adding wear to that only compounds the issue- and allowing wear variance of up to 25% is crazy.

As for warning signs, we have a trouble light in the instrument cluster, but it's been shown way to often that the first sign of trouble is generally when you call AAA for a flatbed.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
issue stems from differences between manufacturers and even within their own lines, different brands and versions will vary in size- a DWS and a DW will have different outside diameters even tho both are sized at 225/45-18 when new.

Adding wear to that only compounds the issue- and allowing wear variance of up to 25% is crazy.

As for warning signs, we have a trouble light in the instrument cluster, but it's been shown way to often that the first sign of trouble is generally when you call AAA for a flatbed.
yea yea, :p

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Yeah man I will try to get them replaced as soon as I can to avoid issues.. I hope this havent caused any damage to drive train.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Last night received my OBDII bluetooth adapter, for my android phone and got the Torque Pro app.. I know its not thing compared to the COBB APP but at least I can get real time info and the health of my car until I can save enough to buy a COBB AP.

Do any of you guys use the Torque app? and if so do you guys have any feedback?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
As you mentioned, it's better to have than noting at all!

Beware that the lower priced BT dongles don't have fast refresh rates. That results in data points being repeated in your logs- look for items that are duplicated for several rows when you know they should be increasing, such as RPM.

There are only two ways to get around that- get an expensive ($150-200) dongle that's able to do a high refresh rate, or take the same money towards a different solution.

that's the worst of it. Otherwise, there are several folks that use torque with their speeds since it provides a spiffy gauge display and has a lot of custom tweaks you can do. There are a couple of Speed specific things in the app store that were built by known & competent speed owners and are worth the couple of dollars they cost.

If you're really liking it, find a cheap android 7" tablet on ebay- tq really shines when you give it's display room to stretch out!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
As you mentioned, it's better to have than noting at all!

Beware that the lower priced BT dongles don't have fast refresh rates. That results in data points being repeated in your logs- look for items that are duplicated for several rows when you know they should be increasing, such as RPM.

There are only two ways to get around that- get an expensive ($150-200) dongle that's able to do a high refresh rate, or take the same money towards a different solution.

that's the worst of it. Otherwise, there are several folks that use torque with their speeds since it provides a spiffy gauge display and has a lot of custom tweaks you can do. There are a couple of Speed specific things in the app store that were built by known & competent speed owners and are worth the couple of dollars they cost.
Yeah going to use the Torque app in the mean time until I can save enough for a COBB App. It doesn't make sense for me to pay 150-200 for a high end dongle if I am not going to be able to flash the ECU with custom maps.

If you're really liking it, find a cheap android 7" tablet on ebay- tq really shines when you give it's display room to stretch out!
Lol now that you mention that for the last couple of weeks I haven been thinking about using a table as my info system for my car since I will be getting a free 7" Samsung tablet from att when I upgrade my phone.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Update: just ordered another Conti DWS to replace the front Passenger that came with the car .. I also checked the tread on both rear tires and they seem pretty close to the new one on the front driver side. Which should give me a little more room to order 2 more Conti DWS 2 rear at the end of this month or beginning of Dec in order to have all matching tires.

Edit.
Also I have been using the torque app since I got it on Friday night and I like how its works so far.. I will need to get the car sensors/components parameters so I can compare them to the results I am getting on the logs to make sure everything is working fine.

There are a few things I will need to research which are the Boost psi at Idle and while driving normally and also find how accurate is the coolant temp readings.

Since I started logging with the Torque pro I am getting a Psi of -27 and while driving doesnt seem to get past 0 even when I feel the turbo boosting at wot..

The coolant temp readings this morning reached normal operating temperature at around 172F I think and by the time I got to work it was around 195F and while I was idle waiting for the turbo to cool down I saw it go up to 200F on the Torque app real time reading while the car temp gauge needle was at the middle where it should be.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Make sure you not reading in hg check the units in options. It should read around -15 at idle. Also temp reading are fine. As long as it doesnt go past 220.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks for the info Achiles! I will help me get the right boost readings.. and as far as the temp good to know! I want sure what was the safe range.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Make sure you not reading in hg check the units in options. It should read around -15 at idle. Also temp reading are fine. As long as it doesnt go past 220.
Alright today I changed the values to have it read -15 at iddle but even then it still didnt make it past 0 when I was in boost over 3000 RPM. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
What is the name of the parameter being monitored for boost & which is not rising above 0? It sounds as if you're using a monitor to watch vacuum only.

Operating temp is just right, and don't mind that the cluster temp gauge stays steady despite what TQ tells you the temp is doing- the dash gauge is meant to be confidence inspiring and won't move unless there's a massive change in temp.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
What is the name of the parameter being monitored for boost & which is not rising above 0? It sounds as if you're using a monitor to watch vacuum only.
here is an spread sheet with some of the stuff I am logging with torque..
I selected a PID on the settings to log turbo boost on the torque app and in the Vehicle profile I entered -15..

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Did you get pid on the play store for the mazdaspeed 6
I dont think so, I am using the ones that came with the Torque Pro..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update:

Today I did my 2nd oil change after getting the car, its currently ~5,000 since the last oil change back in Sept 2013. Used Rotella T6 5W40 again and the took almost 7qt to fill the car. I also got the Blackstone oil kit, and took an oil sample for the test

-Torque App: I got the correct PID for the Speed6 from the Play Store, and after trying to get the boost reading it still not going past 8-9psi.

At this point I will need take a look at the CAI filter since I have not look at it to see how dirty it is, and look for a vacum leak to see if thats why I am not reaching 15psi or at least getting close.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
It's entirely possible that you just have a garden variety boost leak

21 - 40 of 97 Posts